Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Running speaker wires to outside of trailer?

Okay, LOL, I have just updated my ole manual tune/cassette stereo with a new Jensen that has three speaker zones.
I want to install some speakers on the outside of the trailer. This is an old enough trailer that it didn't have any outside.
I am trying to figure out what the best solution would be to run the wires from the third speaker zone on the stereo to the outside of the trailer.

I have some angled speaker cones that are made for outside use as well as some good quality outside marine/RV speakers that I just purchased.

Any ideas and solutions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dano
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they are in boxes then put them in a storage compartment, possibly fastened to the top of the compartment. Rub the wires under the floor. If they are loose then mount them in the compartment door facing out. There is a risk of shaking and rattling inside the trailer if you wall mount them.

Please don't be the SOB that thinks everyone in the campground likes to hear his music.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #3

Have an awning?......The wall arms make decent places to pull wire...or run the wires thru a hole in back of each speaker......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

Instead of cutting large holes and putting some cheezy speakers in I went with portables. I wired a pair of RCA jacks inside, bought some decent speaker wire and connected it to weatherproof Bose speakers. We simply set them on a small foldable tables plugged them in and enjoyed quality sound.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Instead of cutting large holes and putting some cheezy speakers in I went with portables. I wired a pair of RCA jacks inside, bought some decent speaker wire and connected it to weatherproof Bose speakers. We simply set them on a small foldable tables plugged them in and enjoyed quality sound.
Better off with decent portables. I have a set of very high end portables that I use on the dash when driving. I just add extensions and move them out to use outdoors.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post

Please don't be the SOB that thinks everyone in the campground likes to hear his music.
Nope, these would only be used when boondocking with pals and family.

Well I am thinking along the lines of putting these in some "portable" type boxes as mentioned and as stated, just set them outside when wanted.

The only other thing would be to run a fish tape through one of the 110 plugs just above the main stereo which is just inside the door.

I would then pretty much have to run the fish tape from the cabinet above the dining set and try to drop it into the stereo cabinet. I'm thinking there is probably a wall stud which wouldn't allow me to fish the wires through anyhow.

Also, doing the portable type box would keep from having to drill holes through the outside of the trailer to mount the wall mount boxes.

MMMMM, something to think about.

Thanks for everyone chiming in with some dang good ideas!!!!

You folks rock.

Oh, and the speakers are pretty good quality 4 1/2" Kickers with the foam insulators mounted to them.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer