Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #1

RV keeps tripping campground breaker

So we pulled into a campground today and after setting up, we ran the hot water heater and AC unit without any issues. Then we left for dinner and came home to find that the campground's 30a breaker had tripped (the AC and water heater were turned off before we left). I reset the breaker and it proceeded to trip again. I checked the breakers/fuses in the coach and everything was fine so I reset the 30a again and the power came back in, but it was intermittent - it was like someone was turning the power on/off to the coach. So I disconnected us from the 30a plug and, using my adapter, plugged into the 50a side. The power came on, off and then on again but stayed on without issue. A few hours later the 50a breaker tripped and aside from the fridge a single light, we didn't have any load on the electrical system.

Forgot to mention that we were dry camping at a friends house for the past week and a half and were plugged into their 20a service with no issues - we came here from their place so I suspect the issue is with the campground but not sure.

It's 2am so I am wondering what I should check in the morning to isolate the issue to the RV or the campground?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 01:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you run on your generator without any problems?

Would it be possible to move to another site and see if it occurs there too?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Do you have a EMS(Electrical Management System) in your new Coach? Did you set it up for 30/50 amp incoming service? Did you have it set for 20 amp. service while at you friends house?
I suspect your problem is with the campground wiring/pedestal.
As mentioned, try to run your generator and make sure your AC units and other things operate while running it, load it up. Then go to the office if everything is OK on your end.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #4

With no internal breakers shutting down, I would suspect the power cord or plug itself, of being damaged.

Unplug it and inspect it from end to end for any kind of irregularities in the cord.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:20 AM   #5

I would try as suggested another pedestal if possible. Either way I would have the pedestal checked by campground maintenance. Something is not right and that would be a good place to start.
gateaux01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:33 AM   #6

I wonder if the pedestal breakers are GFI type and there is an appliance in the RV with leakage

CLIFF.
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:08 AM   #7

Do not do anything to your rig until you try another source of electricity. Sometimes the breakers get worn from constant turning on and off as new people hook up.

If your cord is long enough just switch pedestals.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #8

Suspect cg breaker is toast.

Breakers are not designed as load operators meaning to not be used to control loads.

Often folks switch them while loaded and this adds wear to the contacts which over time makes the contact area itself generate heat under loads that cause it to trip or simply wear it out.

Next time at harbor freight get an ir thermometer and voltmeter if you do not already have one.

For this you measure temp of breaker then if it is piping quickly measure temp again.

If it rises in temperature and your equipment is good the breaker is bad.

You also can check voltage at the connection to see what it does as well.

A bad connection or breaker will have erratic voltages too.

This allows you to know the issue and better report it to get the cg to get it fixed.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42 AM   #9

Some more details:

I have the Progressive Industries Standalone 30a EMS. There are no settings, simply plug and go.

I'm too far from another pedestal to plug into and since this started happening late at night, the office was closed and too late to run genny.

Its almost 9am and we're still in quiet hrs so no genny.

To rule out the EMS I plugged directly into the pedestal and am waiting to see if we trip anything (also to note, the EMS was not throwing any codes) - so far so good but I haven't put a load on it yet. If this trips, I will run the genny, and if all goes well, ask to move to another site.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, I too suspect there's some problem with the CG power!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #11

RV keeps tripping campground breaker

A breaker will trip because
a) it is worn/defective or
b) it is doing its job (too much current)

The fact that you tripped both the 30A and the 50A breaker suggests it might not be the breaker. If the voltage is borderline because of other users, then the EMS will turn power on, adding your load. This causes the voltage to drop, causing the EMS to disconnect.
The battery charger usually draws higher current when power is connected and it starts a cycle.
Does your EMS display current and voltage?
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #12

What could be wrong with CG power that would blow a breaker at the end of the line ? Not 1 but 2 different ones.

Breaker protect wiring after them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #13

We have been to a few campgrounds that while they offered 30A service they did not have the capacity to actually operate many rigs especially if a hot day. What we have done to combat this is to run our fridge, and water heater on the propane, and only use the shore power for the AC, lights, etc...
jduffey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post
Some more details:

I have the Progressive Industries Standalone 30a EMS. There are no settings, simply plug and go.

I'm too far from another pedestal to plug into and since this started happening late at night, the office was closed and too late to run genny.

Its almost 9am and we're still in quiet hrs so no genny.

To rule out the EMS I plugged directly into the pedestal and am waiting to see if we trip anything (also to note, the EMS was not throwing any codes) - so far so good but I haven't put a load on it yet. If this trips, I will run the genny, and if all goes well, ask to move to another site.

Thanks!

Not a good idea. If the CG is running low voltage or has other issues, you are unprotected..
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground