Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 AM   #1

Question RV Refrigerator, how level is level?

We keep our travel trailer in storage. The night before we depart for a trip, I like to retrieve it and bring it home to stock up and get the refrigerator cooling. In the past I would disconnect and level the unit the night before to operate the refrigerator. In my driveway, the right side wheels are 4" lower (about 2.5 degrees) than the left side. Front to back the unit is about 5 degrees forward. Will I do harm to the refrigerator if I do not level the unit for 12 hours? It would make my life easier if I could skip the disconnect and leveling.
Glo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 05:36 AM   #2

Side to side is not as critical as front to back (trailer-wise). 5 degrees down in front for 12 hours may not damage your fridge but it may effect how well it cools. Just crank down you tongue jack to make it more level front to back as you load; no need to disconnect from the TV for a few degrees.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Dometic says 3 degrees max front to back 6 degrees side to side.
Pretty sure I got them numbers right, getting old sucks.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:42 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dometic says it needs to be "comfortable enough to walk in".. I'm not sure what that means. Comfortable to one person may not be comfortable to someone else..

The MH sided to side level is less important than the front to back.. If I couldn't get my frig level front to back, I wouldn't run the frig..

Can you put wood blocks under the tires to bring it up close to level?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:22 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is just outside of the operating specs

I'd put one plank under the low side wheels and use the tongue jack or front legs to level front to back. You may or may not need to unhook to level. depending on which way you need to go and how far.

Oh Plank is 2" by tire tread with or wider. by however long you need. You could go two plank to be even better.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 AM   #6

Thank you for the quick reply. That's an excellent suggestion
Glo1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I've always heard within 3 degrees in any direction...

course I gave up on absorption fridges about 3 or 4 rv's ago

And when you guys say front to back, do you mean the trailer or the fridge ?!?
(makes a difference )

The storage area I use has always been lower on one end as I drive in....
When we had a 5'er that would need to be backed in, I got 2 2x10's 8 foot long to back onto and that got me close to level... kept them for the motorhome, but it's so heavy it's beating up the 2x10's
Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #8

Install an ARPRV module on your frig and worry no more. Not only will it tell you your boiler temperature, it will shut down your heating when it goes to high.

Why guess, when you can know.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
And when you guys say front to back, do you mean the trailer or the fridge ?!?
YAH, That kind of depends how the frig is mounted in the RV... Most RVs have the frig mounted sideways in the RV, the sides of the frig are the front and back of the RV and the back of the Frig is on the side of the RV.. So the RV needs to be level front to back.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Install an ARPRV module on your frig and worry no more. Not only will it tell you your boiler temperature, it will shut down your heating when it goes to high.

Why guess, when you can know.

X2!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
3 degrees and 6 degrees sound like really small numbers but if you were that out of level it would feel like a fun house inside. as long it is is reasonably level you will be fine.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator