Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #15

" here are some draw backs that I can see:
1) it takes a LOT longer to drain my tanks. I have a 45 gal & a 65 gal tank. Total drain time at least 15 minutes, probably more.
2) With the slower drain, you don't get the venturi flushing effect, and so there are more solids that have to be back-flushed out."

I have a question about the above comment. What is this about back flushing the Sani-Con system? I have not read anything about this in the Sani-Con info or on any forums. They state that any remaining "stuff" in the system gets pumped out the next time you dump. Also, I would think that if you were really concerned about leaving sewage in the Sani-Con system it would be easy to treat it just like a 3" drain system and just flush it out with gray water after the black has been drained.

This is an especially interesting topic to me because I just got a new Safari MH with the Sani-Con system and although I have been using the regular septic hose to empty the septic system, I plan on using the Sani-Con system for the first time on our next excursion.

Ed in Oregon

Ed_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #16

ed-g: Yeah, it takes a bit longer to dump, but a lot less time to clean-up and a whole lot easier/quicker to deal with the SaniCon hose both in setup and stowage. Yeah, I have a 45gal black and 65gal gray and SaniCon. It takes a lot longer to fill the fresh water than to dump both tanks.

So much chatter and religion about the "need" for the whoosh by using the 3in hose and the frantic "need" to flush the daylights out of the tanks. The reference you refer to is flushing the tanks, not the SaniCon per se.

One SaniCon trick you might consider using is to start dumping the gray (to make sure all is working correctly), switch immediately to just the black, finish the black. Then leaving the black open and the SaniCon pump either on or off open the gray so the gray runs into the black for a minute or two. Close the gray and re-drain the black. Maybe do this twice if you are really concerned. Then finish off just the gray. Presto, black gets a little gray flushing and the SaniCon is nice and clean when all done. This is also a method to gain some additional gray tank space if you should fill that up before you can dump.

The only more entertaining outdoor event than watching a dump station is watching a boat launch ramp. My RV'ing religion is KISS. I full time and I don't use chemicals in my tanks - never a smell, I don't flush the tanks - but a couple times a year, and I'm in/out of the dump station before most folks even notice I was even there - dumping is just not a big deal at all. My tanks perform flawlessly as do my tank level indicators by doing nothing extra. And yes, I have inspected them using a remote camera - nothing building up anywhere after 2 years.

Your religion will vary, but KISS might be the answer. Use your SaniCon and enjoy its ease and convenience without adding complexity. Have fun out there.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #17

You can have the best of both systems by plumbing it inlike this http://www.phrannie.org/macerator.html (about half way down page is a diagram).

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:26 PM   #18

ed - The typical after-market installation of the Sanicon just uses the standard 3in coupling already on the tank dump outlet so you always have the best of both worlds. Just uncouple the Sanicon and run the big hose or vice verse. This is one of the features I like about the Sanicon, in the event of a system failure, just uncouple it and you go with the every faithful 3in hose.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other than price, How does the "Sanicon" http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PRODUCT...5/Default.aspx compare the "Clean Dump" http://www.cleandump.com
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
ed - The typical after-market installation of the Sanicon just uses the standard 3in coupling already on the tank dump outlet so you always have the best of both worlds. Just uncouple the Sanicon and run the big hose or vice verse. This is one of the features I like about the Sanicon, in the event of a system failure, just uncouple it and you go with the every faithful 3in hose.

Well, that may be true for many people but trust me, if you're a full timer, and a boondocker to boot, not having to handle the macerator at all is the way to go.

All I have to do is attach the garden hose to the permanently installed macerator, open the tank valve, and turn a toggle switch.

When done, just disconnect the hose. Because in a installed unit configuration, the pump is higher than the waste pipe, there is not even a DROP of water upon disconnect.

If the pump goes out, all it takes is disconnect the wiring at the pump, unscrew pump from threaded fitting, screw in new pump and attach wires and you,re ready to go! Takes about ten minutes.

A full 95 percent of my dumps is done utilizing the macerator, and the majority of those utilizing a "blue boy".

In short, I suppose I'd recommend a nice secure permanent install to a full timer, and the 3 inch attachment type for sometimers and/or those that never boondock!

In short, IMHO, you may have the BENEFIT of both methods using the slinky way, but not the BEST of both.

Respectfully,
Ed Sommers
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #21

ed - Seems you misunderstood. The typical SaniCon *permanent install* uses the SaniCon in the first picture below. It simply attaches to the standard sewer outlet using the standard 3in coupling - note the clear elbow at the end of the 3in black hose. The only "permanent" aspect of the install is that the motor is screwed down. I will bet you probably have this too. Hence, one can, if they so needed to, just as easily uncouple the typical *permanent install* SaniCon 3in hose and use any regular big hose. This is done by simply uncoupling the *permanent install* SaniCon clear fitting and attaching your regular slinky and twisting the 3in SaniCon hose back on when done with the slinky. That was my point - most permanent installations of a SaniCon have the best of both worlds (the 1in and the 3in) *always* available to them because of the way SaniCon attaches.

I like you as a fellow full timer use the 1inch SaniCon hose 100% of the time. It is by far the simplest, easiest and cleanest method and I boondock almost all the time.

SaniCon also offers a "portable" system which also uses a standard sewer 3in coupling in a different manner (it is directly attached to the pump housing itself) as pictured below. This was NOT the system I was referring to - but it too offers the best of both worlds though it does, sort of, mandate removing and installing the entire pump assembly each time you want to use it..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know how many coaches come standard with the black tank rinsing system that have the Sanicon installed, mine does. My system has the black tank rinsing system that I use every time I dump the tank. I also use the above mentioned method of back flushing using the gray tank water that usually doesn't appear to do a whole lot. I always rinse with the tank rinsing system until the discharge is clean then add about 5 gallons of water. I finish with the gray water to clean the 1" discharge hose. I love this system and use it 100% of the time.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I can't speak for others. I can tell you what I thought when a neighbor ran his small hose to the dump site.... I said "RV-Sanicon System" and he replied in the affirmative.

I do not often use it (have a few times) but I have a Flo-Jet portable system, Very nice when needed.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #24
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Nice, very informative thread. Got a few questions about the Sani-Con system since I received the $100 off coupon from CW. And one of those questions has been answered perfectly by RVDude regarding useability of the old-standard 3" if the Sani-Con has any malfunction. Thanks!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Nice, very informative thread. Got a few questions about the Sani-Con system since I received the $100 off coupon from CW.
CWs advertises http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ox-mount/38249Sanicon w/Club price of $499.99 and offers a $100 Coupon. Balance $400.00
I recently ordered a Perm Install Clean Dump from Tony Fox @ 360-798-2437 for $300 (shipping included).
Do the math
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:10 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I was at a dealer show in November and had a chance to view both products. I went with the clean dump, the main reason was the pump was a Flo-Jet, easily replaceable no matter where you are, and the second was I liked the clear hose, and the quality of the hose compare to the Thetford one.

They both do the same thing...get rid of wast, just quality issues I saw.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
I don't know how many coaches come standard with the black tank rinsing system that have the Sanicon installed, mine does. My system has the black tank rinsing system that I use every time I dump the tank. I also use the above mentioned method of back flushing using the gray tank water that usually doesn't appear to do a whole lot. I always rinse with the tank rinsing system until the discharge is clean then add about 5 gallons of water. I finish with the gray water to clean the 1" discharge hose. I love this system and use it 100% of the time.
I use the same method as Bob. The highlighted is important just in case you ever have to disconnect to use the 3" hose for any reason. It also cleans the 3" hose from the tanks outlet to the pump.

historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote