Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I've been camping for a couple years now with guys using macerator pump systems for dumping their holding tanks. Every time we camped I was always trying to position my motorhome so I would be close enough to the sewer connection in the campground so the water would flow down the drain. Those guys with the pumps would just back in and not worry about positioning their units as their systems would pump their waste water to the drain.

I finally broke down this year and bought the RV Sanicon system and installed it. I think everyone knows the idea; basically the pump connects to the sewer outlet and pumps all the waste water through a 1 inch outlet pipe to the drain.

Here is my installed system. As you can see, it's neat and orderly. Now I don't have to keep all that 3" hose in my compartment anymore. I love the system, butthe funniest part is watching peoples expressions as I lay the small hose into the campground sewer connection. I know what they are thinking....

Incidently, in the picture, the pump is behind the thick black hose and is only partially visable. The clear hose is the grey water bypass that allows the grey water to flow around the pump and drain without running the pump if desired. The valve on the white outlet fitting allows me to shut off the hose and contain any water so I don't have to deal with any dripping from the hose.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
A couple of questions Joe:

1) Without full hookups, using the common campground dump station, does it take longer to empty the tank?

2) With full hookups at the campsite, do you follow the convention of leaving the black tank closed and just dumping when full?

3) Normally we leave gray water open. How does the pump handle this?

4) Roughtly how much does the system cost? Do you buy direct from manufacturer?

Thanks,
Walt

Old 05-16-2005, 04:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hi Walt,

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwi:
A couple of questions Joe:

1) Without full hookups, using the common campground dump station, does it take longer to empty the tank?

I've only had the system installed now for 2 trips. One was at a full hookup site, and the other at a state park with conventional dumpstation. I think the rating on the pump is 12 GPM so the 50 gallon tank would take around 4 minutes to pump out. This is longer than it would take dumping compared to the usual 3" hose, but it's partially offset by not having a hose to attach, remove and rinse

2) With full hookups at the campsite, do you follow the convention of leaving the black tank closed and just dumping when full?

At the full hookup site, I did exactly as normal, and left the black tank closed. In fact since it was only a 2 day weekend, I left the black and grey both closed then dumped (pumped) them when we were ready to leave. The grey water bypass is available as an option so you can leave the grey valve open if you wish.

3) Normally we leave gray water open. How does the pump handle this?

With the grey valve open, the water bypasses the pump so it flows out the 1 inch drain hose as usual. If you were to find that the water isn't flowing by gravity to drain, you could just flip the pump on and pump the tank out, if normally if you have the slope to drain via your 3" hose, the sanicon will also flow.

4) Roughtly how much does the system cost? Do you buy direct from manufacturer?

I bought it from RVUpgrades.com . There are a variety of systems available listed on the webpage. Mine is the older style of the 5800 but is not contained in the enclosed box.

Thanks,
Walt
You're welcome,
Joe
Old 05-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Walt,
If I may jump in here and add a couple of thoughts. I've had mine now for a couple of seasons. I sorta have the combo of the model 5800 and the older version together. I have two of the 721 hoses connected together all the time, but I am using the older version end nozzle that has the red handled valve on it. The new nozzle doesnt have a valve but only an cap that you screw on before storing the hose. I have found myself almost forgetting to remove the cap before pumping. Something you dont want to do! So I like the valve system, similar to what Joe did to his.
Like anything, there is trade offs.
Pro's- Grab the nozzle, pull it out to the sewer pipe and you are good to go. No messing with the angle of the hose or if you arent close to the campground sewer.
When you're done, turn the valve, throw it back in the bay and go. No disconnecting or messing with a dirty hose.
Cons- Noise of pump could be alittle quieter, not bad, just alittle noisy.
Slower draining than 3" hose. Never timed the two, but obviously will take a little longer.
Any questions, hollow.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Joe, what kind of bushings are available for the nozzle end. I wouldn't want to hold it in place while dumping so somer sort of bushing system would be needed to keep it in the pipe. Some pipes aren't threaded and you'd need the rubber cones but some places require threaded connections to seal everything off. How does the RV Sanicon handle this?
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Mark,

The Sanicon come with a nozzle that looks like this one. I think the idea of the angled connection at the end is to keep the hose end that you would handle off the ground around the dump station.

The 3" threaded hub on the end is free to rotate so if you did run into a campground with a threaded inlet, you could thread the fitting right on.

If the campground has a 4" threaded inlet, or just a plain connection, you press the 3" threaded hub into this red fitting (bought at Walmart) and put it into the sewer connection. The red fitting has steps on it that fit most sewer connection sizes. The foam donut isn't required.

As you see in the picture of my installation, I made up a different nozzle as I wasn't sure I wanted the nozzle sticking up at the campground on a angle. My nozzle is similar to the one shown below that is also available for the sanicaon, except I put a valve on it instead of the threaded cap. I did put it together with the rotating 3" cap so I could use the same hookup procedure.

I was concerned that the cap could be trouble if it wasn't removed and the pump turned on. I could see the difficulty in removing the cap after the hose became "pressurized"

Since the nozzles are just 3/4" PVC pipe, for a couple bucks you can make any type of nozzle you like. I've still got the angled one and may keep it for different hookups.

Incidently, I bought the system through RVUpgrades since as a dealer, they discount it and offer free shipping, but if you want to check out lots of pictures and instructions visit the Manufacturers Website
Old 03-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #7

I know this is an old post...but I was researching the rv sanicon product and thought I would share a site that has a lot of "how to" information about sani-con. Try the articles at RVStore Direct Sani-Con Articles
Old 03-02-2009, 03:11 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Kevin welcome to IRV2.

I am not sure of the connection, but the RVStore seems suspiciously lacking information and credibility...when I checked details of their site I found that there is no phone number, address, or info explaining who they are. While their articles maybe good, I would be careful about ordering anything from them.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by FLYTYER:
RV Kevin welcome to IRV2.

I am not sure of the connection, but the RVStore seems suspiciously lacking information and credibility...when I checked details of their site I found that there is no phone number, address, or info explaining who they are. While their articles maybe good, I would be careful about ordering anything from them.
I found their phone number 810-360-9733 on the Contact Us link. They seem to be legitimate.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK I now see the phone number, that is all.

IMO I just do not trust such outfits when they do not reveal where they are located and their address.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

THESE are great guys.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #12

OK, I am sure that this whole macerator thing is great, but really, greater than what?
I have been full-timing since 1997 and I can't remember even once that I parked somewhere that I had wished I could pump my "pooh" 35' uphill!
There have been a few parks that did not seem to be aware that fluids don't run uphill, but this is cured by lifting the hose to empty the remaining fluids into the drain.
If I need to run further than my 2 15' hoses will reach I am either dry camping or somewhere I won't be staying very long! In either case, I am not going to attempt to dump. The next site will be better and I can dump then. No one needs to dump everyday or even every few days so if you are not where you want to be, move.
Unless you have some extremely unusual conditions under which you park on a regular basis, that 3" hose connected to my dump valve will completely empty my tanks in just a minute or so and those of you with the macerator systems will still be waiting for it to finish while I am happily heading down the road.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #13

Well when you stay in CG's with hookups or a dump station that's great. In my case we camp dry camp at the beach all the time and the only place to dump that doesn't charge $15+ is Camping World. If you want to see what grody pigs some people are, stop in to CW, Valencia. Frankly I'm shocked they didn't close their dump station years ago.

SO, we go home to dump, pump 30' up a 3' slope and all done. THAT is worth the expense.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We have had the Sanicon system for 4 years and like it. It is simple to use.

There are some draw backs that I can see:
1) it takes a LOT longer to drain my tanks. I have a 45 gal & a 65 gal tank. Total drain time at least 15 minutes, probably more.
2) With the slower drain, you don't get the venturi flushing effect, and so there are more solids that have to be back-flushed out.

BUT there are pluses too:
1) At home I don't have a sewer connection, and since it is impossible for us to get home with an empty black tank (I won't elaborate ) I need the pumping action to dump via the house plumbing.
2) The system can be used to 'balance the load' so to speak. Usually the grey tank fills first. If you are without a sewer hookup, you can open both the grey & the black valves (remember this is a closed system so no fluids are running out). Then since water seeks its own level, the grey & black tanks will equalize themselves (more-full grey tank liquid flowing up into the less-full black tank) , giving you a few more days before things become critical .
3) It is a totally 'hands-clean' dumping system. You never have to touch anything that has become poo-taminated .

If I am going to be stationary for a long period of time, I just cap the Sanicon hose, and use the standard 3" line to get better & faster flushing.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote