Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV thermostat

Had anybody done an upgrade of their RV thermostat. The original units are not accurate and you are either cold or hot. The cold would not be a problem but my arm-strong heater doesn't work like it used to. LOL
Anyway what thermostat have you used? Was it a difficult upgrade? Any advice or instructions would be a big help. I have purchased a Honeywell electronic unit that is for heat and AC. I hope I didn't make a mistake. It can be returned if necessary.
This Forum Is Awesome!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akibase View Post
Had anybody done an upgrade of their RV thermostat. The original units are not accurate and you are either cold or hot. The cold would not be a problem but my arm-strong heater doesn't work like it used to. LOL
Anyway what thermostat have you used? Was it a difficult upgrade? Any advice or instructions would be a big help. I have purchased a Honeywell electronic unit that is for heat and AC. I hope I didn't make a mistake. It can be returned if necessary.
This Forum Is Awesome!!!!!
I just replaced my analog thermostats with a digital. I have three analog thermostats, bedroom, bathroom and salon. The bedroom and salon units control both heat and AC. The bathroom only controls heat. The ACs and thermostats are Duo Therm (Dometic), my heating system is AquaHot. The thermostats I bought are Dometic Single Zone LCD. I bought 2 kits to replace the dual function units. Each contains a control kit and a SZLCD cool/furnace tstat. The control kit replaces the existing one in the AC. Everything you need comes with the kit except how to hook it up. The kit part number is 3313189.000 so you can get installation instructions from the Dometic web site. This particular model will work for a gas furnace or AquaHot and AC series 540, 4579, 4595 and 640. If you have something different, then contact Dometic.

I did not buy my kits from Dometic, don't know if they will sell directly to an end user or not, give it a try. My kits, from a dealer, cost $87 each plus shipping. One last comment, If the tstats you bought are five wire, they probably will not work, it takes six wires. Good luck.

Jim E

Old 10-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I just replaced the analog t-stat that had a 10 to 12 degree tempature swing. Now have a Hunter auto changeover digital t-stat. Make sure you mark or make notes of which wirs is on what terminal before removing old stat. I origonally hooked both of the fan wires (low and high) to the new fan terminal, but have plans to install a switch in the high fan wire so I can run the fan on low when I want.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Here is a good write up about replacing your Tstat. I followed it and the guy is right on.

Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat RV Installation
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #5

i replaced the cheap Dometic one with a Honeywell. only thing i didn't do, was install a toggle switch for the fan speed.
i just hooked up the fan speed to low. i rarely ever need high. you can hook it to high if you prefer that or install a toggle switch to be able to use both.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Here is a good write up about replacing your Tstat. I followed it and the guy is right on.

Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat RV Installation

This is the one to go with. Mine keeps my temp within 1 degree of the set temp!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

I just replaced mine with a honeywell from walmart. Easy upgrade none of the wires were labeled but there were only two wires. One for power the other to the furnace. It is super easy and a good upgrade. I dont have ac either.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
I replaced the cheesy Coleman Mach thermostat with a White Rodgers model. I was able to get the AC to work and not the furnace. The wires and connections were easy for the AC portion, but I just cannot figure this out. There is a connection on the thermostat for a G wire. No idea if that is Grey or Green. Just frustrating and cold here Any ideas? I looked for the wiring connections for my 1f87r875. But this comes up as 1f87-875, also. And I don't see the exact info for that G wire................
Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

I replaced my Coleman Mach with the Hunter several years ago. Works like a champ.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Same on used in motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
I replaced my Coleman Mach with the Hunter several years ago. Works like a champ.
I want to use my same thermostat that was used in my motorhome. I used a Honeywell that I took out of my house when it sold and that worked perfectly fine in my MH. When I got my 5th wheel, I got this White Rodgers unit that worked fine for the summertime when AC was needed, but I just cannot figure out the heating portion. Since this was $85.00, I plan to use it. Don't see a need to buy another just yet. This has six wires to it.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #11

Ace_Clark,

Home thermostats are set up to share one source voltage (i.e. B+ in a RV). An RV system is typically designed such that the AC and the Furnace have their own seperate B+ source. Not sure if your White Rodgers thermostat has the same connections as shown on this pdf http://acrepairshop.com/doc_download...iguration.html however, the
Heat/cool, 5-wire, two-transformer systems version is the one for you. Only differenece is you do not use the Common post.

Jumper from RH to RC is removed
B+ from furnace connects to RH
Lead back to furnace is from W

B+ from AC connects to RC
G is for AC blower motor relay (single speed blower motor)
Y is for AC Compressor relay.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
This is the one to go with. Mine keeps my temp within 1 degree of the set temp!
If it is cycling too often, you can change the threshold on the Hunter and maybe some other brands by pressing the up and down buttons at the same time. 1, 2, 3, and maybe 4 s

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat