Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 AM   #1

RV washer/dryer

We're new to RVing and just purchased an Excel 35RLO and are interesed in adding a washer/ dryer. Any suggestions? What works well....what doesn't? Thanks for your help.
stewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
We have separate washer and dryer in our unit and love them. We have heard through our friends that the combo units have smaller capacities and don't wash or dry as well. HTH
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
We had CW install the Splendide Ariston model stacked washer and dryer and to date it's worked perfectly. We can wash and dry clothes at the same time which isn't a big deal for us since we are retired, but it gets the task completed all that much sooner. The washer spins the clothes at such a high speed that a full load will dry in 50 minutes even though the dryer is 115 volt. Being vented to the outside is a must IMHO.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:35 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the room go with a stackable. Vented to the outside is a MUST. These are high efficiency units and the washers take a special kind of low sudsing detergent. We installed the Splendide 2002 and DW loves it.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with MaverickBBD...go with 2 separate units if you have the room.

We ordered the factory-installed washer and dryer when we ordered our Excel and it came with a front-load Whirlpool washer and a Whirlpool dryer. It has almost as much capacity as the front-load washer and dryer we had in our sticks and bricks...I can wash both king size sheets plus 4 pillow cases in the same load.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Ditto to what LindaH said. We have the factory installed Whirlpool units and are glad we did it. Whatever you do, go with the outside vent and don't forget the High Efficiency detergent (Tide HE for us).

Happy travels.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim & Bona:
and don't forget the High Efficiency detergent (Tide HE for us). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's not really necessary to use HE detergent...you just have to watch the amount you use of *regular* detergent.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:40 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We don't worry about all this "washing and drying your clothes" stuff. Maybe that's why my britches are so droooopppppy! Ain't that right Virg. End of I PROMISE! SirRockyWash
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:35 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
My wife swears by her Splendide combo. She likes the fact that she can put in a load and leave for the day. It washes and then drys with no switching from one machine to the other.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
My wife swears by her Splendide combo. She likes the fact that she can put in a load and leave for the day. It washes and then drys with no switching from one machine to the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And everything is wrinkle free....right?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM   #11

Ditto with Linda H.

I have no problems with the Whirlpool front loader and separate dryer. I wash and dry king size sheets as well and I use the extra high spin cycle. I do use the low suds liquid detergent.

Vent to the outside, a must.

I heard from a few RV'ers that they did not like the combination washer and dryer.

Happymi
Old 10-31-2008, 01:19 PM   #12

Our last unit had a combo umit. A real PIA. Our new unit has the stacked Splendide and we love it. We were on a 6 week vacation and only used a laundromat for washing our king size sheets. BTW : Neither Whirlpool or Splendide manufacture those units. Just branded that way.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
The choice of combo or stacked might depend on how one spends their time. I am not in the coach much, when stopped at a CG. Their are too many sights to see in the area. This is why I chose the combo unit. For my style of RVing it is perfect.

To rockintom, yes the close do come our wrinkle free. All one needs to do is follow the instructions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
just added a combo unit and love it i got a new dented unit for 750.00 from colaw salvage in joplin mo.