RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #1

RV wire

Hi there,

I'm upgrading my 30A system to 50A double pole. In putting in the new main panel, I notice that some of the wire is stranded and some of it is residential Romex single wire. Is there a standard for the 120v side?

On a side note, it looks like the most difficult part of this job will be to route the new circuit wires through the walls to outlets at the point of use.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

Romex should be 120 volt. Usually stranded is 12 volt, but some 120 volt accessories are stranded wire. Take pictures and notes and connect on the new as the old was.

A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Romex should be 120 volt. Usually stranded is 12 volt, but some 120 volt accessories are stranded wire. Take pictures and notes and connect on the new as the old was.
Yes, I noticed that the 12v side was all stranded wire. I see both stranded and solid wire on the 120v side. Right now, I have traded the box and have reconnected the original wires as they were in the old box, with all the same breakers and fuses on the 12v side. I will verify everything is working as it did before I move to the next step, which would be to put in the new wiring on the other leg of 120v, change the main incoming wiring to be 2-pole #6 with ground, and install the twin 50A breaker as well as the additional 20 A breakers.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Hi there,

I'm upgrading my 30A system to 50A double pole. In putting in the new main panel, I notice that some of the wire is stranded and some of it is residential Romex single wire. Is there a standard for the 120v side?

On a side note, it looks like the most difficult part of this job will be to route the new circuit wires through the walls to outlets at the point of use.

Thanks!
You do not need to change any wiring to convert to 50 amps 240 service except for the wiring for the shore power cord. You do need to replace the main circuit breaker box. The main box needs to be RV type, center main breaker split buss. Shore power cord will be stranded wire. The rest of the 120 volts system will be solid wire Romex wiring. It is not called single wiring. This is the standard for the 120 volt side. You must keep neutrals and grounds separate.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 AM   #5
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm pretty sure that my coach uses stranded wire for 120V circuits that are "flexed" when the slide is moved.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes, I noticed that the 12v side was all stranded wire. I see both stranded and solid wire on the 120v side. Right now, I have traded the box and have reconnected the original wires as they were in the old box, with all the same breakers and fuses on the 12v side. I will verify everything is working as it did before I move to the next step, which would be to put in the new wiring on the other leg of 120v, change the main incoming wiring to be 2-pole #6 with ground, and install the twin 50A breaker as well as the additional 20 A breakers.

You will need a 50 amp double pole breaker. NOT a twin breaker. You will not need additional 20 amp breakers unless you intend to add new circuit wiring. That will cause the headaches you spoke off. If you do install 20 amp breakers you must use 12/2 romex. Not 14/2 as is in your coach now. 15 = 14 ga. 20 = 12 ga.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I'm pretty sure that my coach uses stranded wire for 120V circuits that are "flexed" when the slide is moved.
That is correct. There is a j-box just before the Romex enters the slide. Usually under the rig. In the j-box romex is connected to a rubber cord. SJ, SO or some designation of the day. sometimes a straight cord held up with long springs. Sometimes a coiled cord like a curly french fry. It will run to the first outlet then it's romex from there. Sometimes romex goes across a big slide and out the other side in the same fashion.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Stranded vs single strand is irrelevant as long as the wire is rated for >= the breaker amperage and wire run length. Typically Romex is used because it is cheaper and the double insulation helps protect it from damage when pulling it through the walls.
https://enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
That's a good point. Romex is not very flexible and can break if bent several times. I was trying to figure out why both Romex and stranded wire were used in my panel. That may be the reason. I do think that the stranded wire, like THHN would be easier to fish through the walls than Romex would. This would be for the new circuits I'm contemplating.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

Quote:
That's a good point. Romex is not very flexible and can break if bent several times. I was trying to figure out why both Romex and stranded wire were used in my panel. That may be the reason. I do think that the stranded wire, like THHN would be easier to fish through the walls than Romex would. This would be for the new circuits I'm contemplating.
I think if you look closely you will not find and stranded wire on your 120 volt circuits except for the incoming service wire.

120 volt circuits must be in conduit or come in romex form per the NEC. Single conductors are not acceptable. Conduit cannot physically be run thru and RV framework. Stranded rubber cord 120 volt circuits cannot be run through or concealed in RV or S & b framework per the NEC. It has to do with High and low voltage safety and insulation breakdown.

My current 2014 National Electric Code Book is over 900 pages of rules and regulations.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #11

I also noticed that the wires feeding the slide outs were stranded on the 120 volt just last week.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
I also noticed that the wires feeding the slide outs were stranded on the 120 volt just last week.
Yep, J-box from the main frame to j-box in the slide. Stranded wire can not be connected the the cheap RV punch down contact receptacles.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #13

I believe RVs come under a different wiring standard the the one for sticks and bricks.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:45 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, RVs are wired to NFPA 1192.

I use marine grade high voltage stranded wire for additions to my RVs. I try to use marine grade components for all systems on my RVs.

John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote