Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Samsung Fridge Performance Update

Returned from a week long trip and thought I would post an update on new thread being the others have gotten old. The fridge performed good it was nice to only go thru two bags of ice that we kept in the ice tray and have cold drinks without having a ice chest sitting on the floor, cold milk and frozen ice cream bars. Everything performed as it should except while driving with the inverter on. I only have a 1000w inverter it appeared that the temps rose up into the upper 40's and higher if I didn't run the genny according to the temp monitor on the fridge. I had the ice maker turned off and the fridge on EnergySaver too. So just curious if others with the smaller inverters have experienced this too?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 06:10 AM   #2

Curious, is it a MSW inverter ?

MSW inverters are less effecent running electric motors and not electronic control friendly.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

Could be the inverter--but doubt it.....could be Energy Save?????
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a MSW and the Energy Saver is on. Supposedly MSW friendly? Nothing else on the inverter during driving. Maybe the inverter isn't big enough after all?
Old 09-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Could not duplicate the problem at home in the driveway. However I did notice the 50/30 on off switch that is on units with basement air was turned to off because we spent one night on a 30a site. But still couldn't duplicate the problem and that really shouldn't matter. All connections tight I checked those on the road. Voltage good on both legs of Genny and amp draw on both legs with both compressors running were only an 1-1.5 amp difference. I will probably remove that relay I think it's the one on the right and take a look at it. For now ok.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A kill-a-watt meter should be quite helpful to troubleshoot. My Samsung pulls very little power. Sometimes less that 100 watts. A 1000 watt inverter should have no problem at all supplying enough. Perhaps compare power load on inverter compared to your generator or shore.

Let us know what you learn as I have not completed my install. I did purchase a 1500 PSW inverter.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know that I am probably kicking a dead horse here, but Samsung is the only manufacturer who may (or may not) have ever said that you could use an MSW inverter. The fridge (actually a single compressor) has an internal inverter so the interaction between an MSW and the internal inverter may make the compressor inefficient and overheat.

In addition, a 1000 watt MSW is probably marginal.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been checking loads with a amp meter for the fridge. The fridge is at set normal temps of 38 and pulling 1.9 amps now when I put more demand on it say power cool which turns it down to 28 I saw during checking on it as high as 3.1amps this is with shore power. I don't have watt meter but am using a 120v line splitter to get my readings.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1506192536.794570.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  83.8 KB
Old 09-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #10

See how many amps it pulls on the inverter.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
That seems consistent with an inverter reefer design. The whole efficiency improvement is that what you basically have is a variable speed compressor that will run through a cycle though time. I did an extensive test of my 23 cuft Frigidaire and found a max of about 600 watts and a min of around 100. The max lasted only about 15 minutes out of a 7 or 8 hour period and then started again. I made my measurements on the input of the inverter so they are all 12 volt numbers and it is a 2000 watt, pure sine wave model. I would expect that your compressor would draw about the same and what I would worry about is how the MSW unit interacts with the internal inverter during the high wattage cycle period.

You mentioned that the problem occurred when you were driving and not fed by shore power. You should be able to mimic that situation by turning off the 120 v breaker to the reefer and just letting it fall back to inverter power.

Don't know if I shared this graphic here, but here is what I saw:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Residential Reefer Power Consumption.png
Views:	254
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	177586  
Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
See how many amps it pulls on the inverter.

Yes I plan on doing that and will let you know.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
That seems consistent with an inverter reefer design. The whole efficiency improvement is that what you basically have is a variable speed compressor that will run through a cycle though time. I did an extensive test of my 23 cuft Frigidaire and found a max of about 600 watts and a min of around 100. The max lasted only about 15 minutes out of a 7 or 8 hour period and then started again. I made my measurements on the input of the inverter so they are all 12 volt numbers and it is a 2000 watt, pure sine wave model. I would expect that your compressor would draw about the same and what I would worry about is how the MSW unit interacts with the internal inverter during the high wattage cycle period.

You mentioned that the problem occurred when you were driving and not fed by shore power. You should be able to mimic that situation by turning off the 120 v breaker to the reefer and just letting it fall back to inverter power.

Don't know if I shared this graphic here, but here is what I saw:

I have seen it as low as 1.2amp as well. That's quite a graph you put together.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Frustrated retired computer guy. Built a data logger for my Trimetric. Got a nice curve to show that Progressive Dynamics converters work as advertized as well.

Tags
fridge