Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Samsung RF197

I have read some bad reviews for the Samsung RF197 on other websites.
How many people that have installed this in their MH have had problems and what if any?

Thanks Wes

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Wes,

I have had one small design flaw problem with my slightly over two year old Samsung RF197.

Back in January 2013 that design flaw was repaired by a Samsung autroized repair service technician.

HERE is the thread describing the problem and fix with photos.

Since that one minor problem it has been working 24/7 problem free and lots of really cold and frozen food.

I would kill before I let someone take my Samsung from R HOME.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed one about a 9 months ago. It has worked perfectly and my wife loves it. The only complaint I have is the ice cream is hard :-)... but then again, I could turn the temp up but I like it that way!!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard.

Thanks for the info. I am now wondering if Samsung has fixed this issue.

Also since you FT and we are still PTers I am wondering if it will do any harm shutting it down for what may turn out to be a few months.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
I installed one about a 9 months ago. It has worked perfectly and my wife loves it. The only complaint I have is the ice cream is hard :-)... but then again, I could turn the temp up but I like it that way!!

I like cold hard ice cream so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #6

I had mine installed last summer. It worked just fine all winter in Phoenix. Lots more room, and as others have said, cold beer and frozen ice cream, plus lots of ice. What a concept!
Old 06-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a four year old RF197 at home and had no problems with it until last month. I had read about problems with moisture in the bottom drawers but had not experienced it - until last month. I googled the problem and solution and was able to fix it myself with a $6 part and about 30 minutes work after emptying the fridge.
The problem is the "drain clip" that attaches to the defrost heating coil and should extend down into the drain to prevent the defrost condensate from freezing, is too short to reach the drain. So after defrost cycle, water cannot drain and then freezes in and overflows drain tray flowing down the front foam shroud into drawers and beneath drawers.
FIX: replace the drain clip attached to heating coil below condenser with new redesigned clip. Existing clip extends down from the heaing coil only 1/2" and does not reach the drain. You need to remove the old clip and attach the new one to heating coil. It is held on to the coil by two tabs that wrap around the coil. There is a third tab that extends down and into the drain line about 1.5" to prevent freezing. Part number is Samsung DA61-06796A -CLIP, DRAIN EVAP REF CUL
Since replacing the part, we have had no issues. I forgot to mention that the overflowed water could be frozen to a foam shroud covering the coils and you will likely have to use a hair dryer to accelerate the melting to remove it and make the repair. Since the new part number is the same as the old one, I would assume all recent RF197s have the new part. I also suspect the problem is more widespread than just the RF197.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Bob.

I am thinking Samsung probably has addressed the issue, but I will check it before I install it.

Now are there any part timers that turn off their refrigerator while their MH is in storage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
We have a four year old RF197 at home and had no problems with it until last month. I had read about problems with moisture in the bottom drawers but had not experienced it - until last month. I googled the problem and solution and was able to fix it myself with a $6 part and about 30 minutes work after emptying the fridge.

The problem is the "drain clip" that attaches to the defrost heating coil and should extend down into the drain to prevent the defrost condensate from freezing, is too short to reach the drain. So after defrost cycle, water cannot drain and then freezes in and overflows drain tray flowing down the front foam shroud into drawers and beneath drawers.

FIX: replace the drain clip attached to heating coil below condenser with new redesigned clip. Existing clip extends down from the heaing coil only 1/2" and does not reach the drain. You need to remove the old clip and attach the new one to heating coil. It is held on to the coil by two tabs that wrap around the coil. There is a third tab that extends down and into the drain line about 1.5" to prevent freezing. Part number is Samsung DA61-06796A -CLIP, DRAIN EVAP REF CUL

Since replacing the part, we have had no issues. I forgot to mention that the overflowed water could be frozen to a foam shroud covering the coils and you will likely have to use a hair dryer to accelerate the melting to remove it and make the repair. Since the new part number is the same as the old one, I would assume all recent RF197s have the new part. I also suspect the problem is more widespread than just the RF197.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post

Richard.

Thanks for the info. I am now wondering if Samsung has fixed this issue.

Also since you FT and we are still PTers I am wondering if it will do any harm shutting it down for what may turn out to be a few months.
Wes,

I think it would be fine turning off the fridge when not in use. The important thing if you do is to put something in front of the doors and drawer to keep them open to minimize mold.

Also there is no control for removing power other than pulling the plug or flipping the circuit breaker for the duplex that it is plugged in to.

Quote:

Your explanation is EXACTLY what the service technician found including the frozen foam. He replaced the cover with the broken foam in addition to the larger defrost clips in the fridge and freezer compartments.

No more problems!

This particular problem is more widespread including other fridge manufacturers. That's what I found when I began to research the symptoms on a Google Internet search.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Richard.

Thanks for your response. I will take flipping the breaker or unplugging it into consideration I didn't think of that. I do leave coach plugged in most of the time. But since I store her off site I will be flipping breaker or unplugging it.

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
... Part number is Samsung DA61-06796A -CLIP, DRAIN EVAP REF CUL
Since replacing the part, we have had no issues. ... Since the new part number is the same as the old one, I would assume all recent RF197s have the new part. I also suspect the problem is more widespread than just the RF197.
I had my Samsung installed nearly 1 year ago today. Prior to the install I had a Samsung tech perform the clip replacement and he also did something else that he knew could be a problem later. I wish I could remember that item. Anyway, it was done as warranty work.

The tech said that he has not seen the new clip be part of the standard unit yet. So...I wouldn't assume the redesigned clip is in use.

BTW...NO PROBLEMS with drain freezing.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We are part timers too...
We've had a few issues with the samsung rf197.
1) you mentioned the first - no fully Off switch... we get by that by either turning the inverter off, or putting the fridge in Demo mode that can be toggled on and off by pressing and holding freezer and power freeze button for 3 seconds ...

2) our door locks do not keep the fridge closed so we suthern engineered a velcro and plywood board shapped like and upside down U to slip on ours to keep doors closed when in transit

3) on our particular 5er, they didn't think it was necessary to anchor the fridge, so it tipped out on a particular violent section of road and dented the door on the island :( but that's the rv mfg's fault not samsung's

4) there is no easy 'dehumidify' door support like on the rv fridges, so I usually go back in and open the doors when back in storage...

bat as far as performance, all our mh camping buddies bring their frozen stuff to us since we have so much room and it stays so cold
Old 06-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

I had my Samsung installed nearly 1 year ago today. Prior to the install I had a Samsung tech perform the clip replacement and he also did something else that he knew could be a problem later. I wish I could remember that item. Anyway, it was done as warranty work.

The tech said that he has not seen the new clip be part of the standard unit yet. So...I wouldn't assume the redesigned clip is in use.

BTW...NO PROBLEMS with drain freezing.
Was it something to do with the ice maker?

I know that early on some people who leave the ice maker on all the time had a problem with some sort of part failing or coming off that would allow the ice maker to keep making ice and not turn off automatically.

That is the only other problem that I have heard and read about.

I use the ice maker only long enough to fill the bin HALF full then I turn it off. I don't use the ice fast enough and it gets too old. Plus I get to use the leftover space for storage.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesinRockies View Post
Richard.

Thanks for your response. I will take flipping the breaker or unplugging it into consideration I didn't think of that. I do leave coach plugged in most of the time. But since I store her off site I will be flipping breaker or unplugging it.

Thanks for the info!

We always unplug our 197 when we are not using our coach. Left door stays open a few inches , and so does the freezer door. No chance of mold and bad odors. If you aren't using the fridge for a few months, I don't see any reason to keep it plugged in.

It only takes a few hours to get fridge back to op temps when you do decide to use it.
Mjay is offline   Reply With Quote