Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Seeking battery bank wiring tips...

Hello, thank you for your time. I recently purchased (4) T-105's and am currently building my battery box and planning for wiring.

I have a fairly simple off-grid setup consisting of my solar charge controller, the 4 batteries (series/parallel), and inverter. I understand how to wire everything properly, but I am seeking advice to optimize the system.

Since I am still running as much as i can on the 12v system. Where is the best place to run the + wire that will lead to my DC fuse box? Off the same battery terminal I plan to use to wire my inverter? or just "daisy chain" off of the inverters + terminal? or off the fuse i plan to run between the bank and the inverter?

The same question kinda goes for the grounding wire to the RV frame. Is it better to just run 1 wire to the frame, and then also have your inverters DC negative input wire grounded to the frame? Or should you just run 2 wires off the same terminal? 1 leading to the RV frame and 1 leading to the inverter off the same terminal.

Finally, is it true you should place the (+/-) wires that are coming off your charge controller on the opposite end of your bank. ie; not on the same terminals as your output?

I hope I didn't lose anybody with lack of terminology and no diagrams.

Thanks again for your input.
crosby716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
Community Moderator

i am pretty sure some will provide answers on your questions.
here is my take:
1) put the fuse between terminal and inverter
2) two wires off the same neg terminal - one to frame one to inverter
3) yes technically you should place +/- wires of controller on the opposite terminals of the bank. i did this way.
i could be wrong though...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:27 AM   #3

I decided to make a diagram with my two main questions.

I know there is no advantage "protection wise" in having the 2nd (+) line after the 250amp fuse, since the line is going directly into a DC Fuse box anyway. Perhaps less voltage drop only having one line off the battery terminal?

Also would those be the correct terminals for the solar?

Thanks again for your input!

Old 01-05-2015, 02:32 AM   #4

The solar looks wrong, but its early in the morning. Hook solar up to same + and - as inverter. You can use other + and- in center of picture. Your setup looks like you have 6 volt to solar. On fuses, you fuse to protect the wire from melting, so you should have a seperate, smaller fuse for house load.
Good luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:12 AM   #5

Had coffee, nothing goes on the batt terminals that jump from plus to minus between 2, 6 volt batteries to make a 12 volt battery. Solar wires are wrong in you diagram.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Had coffee, nothing goes on the batt terminals that jump from plus to minus between 2, 6 volt batteries to make a 12 volt battery. Solar wires are wrong in you diagram.

Agree ... the solar connections shown would be the equivalent of both leads on either plus or minus (and not 1 plus and 1 minus.) Solar should be same as inverter connections.

As for the "splice", 2 wires on the battery post is ok or you could use a frame mounted stud for multiple wires.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies!
Yes I can see on the diagram that the terminals are incorrect for the solar charge placement.

So I would put them on the "other terminals" in the middle? (representing the parallel connection)

Although my charge controller automatically equalizes my batteries once a month. I like the idea of having the input on different terminals then the draw, just in my head it sounds like it would keep the bank more equalized with the solar input load on different terminals then the output load.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby716 View Post
Thanks for the replies!
Yes I can see on the diagram that the terminals are incorrect for the solar charge placement.

So I would put them on the "other terminals" in the middle? (representing the parallel connection)

Although my charge controller automatically equalizes my batteries once a month. I like the idea of having the input on different terminals then the draw, just in my head it sounds like it would keep the bank more equalized with the solar input load on different terminals then the output load.
Solar controller leads go the same place as the inverter cables. Electrically, it would be at the point of your blue arrows.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Solar controller leads go the same place as the inverter cables. Electrically, it would be at the point of your blue arrows.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #10

I have my factory wiring diagrams on pdf if it would help. Different manufacture but still 4 bats with solar and inverters.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, wiring