Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #1
LKS

When we first open our camper after being closed up for a week we expect it to smell musty, but this is sickening. I open the windows, spray freshener and air it out. The smell never goes totally go away. Our toilet isn't clogged, it runs through the flexible hose into the sewer system. It isn't a bladder box, we actually have our own septic system I guess you call it. It is under ground and you can't see anything, just the hose going into the opening which is sealed tight to the hose. We replaced the hose too. We have one of the owners old sites and are lucky since we never have to empty it. When the toilet is full, we open the black line and it runs into the septic. We do use the blue stuff from Walmart after each opening of the hose. We can see to the bottom when we open the lid, nothing is clogged ever. We have tried leaving the line open and also closed but it doesn't seem to matter. There is just a smell that is hard to describe. Any suggestions? Thanks for any tips.
Lynda
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
LKS

When we first open our camper after being closed up for a week we expect it to smell musty, but this is sickening. I open the windows, spray freshener and air it out. The smell never goes totally go away. Our toilet isn't clogged, it runs through the flexible hose into the sewer system. It isn't a bladder box, we actually have our own septic system I guess you call it. It is under ground and you can't see anything, just the hose going into the opening which is sealed tight to the hose. We replaced the hose too. We have one of the owners old sites and are lucky since we never have to empty it. When the toilet is full, we open the black line and it runs into the septic. We do use the blue stuff from Walmart after each opening of the hose. We can see to the bottom when we open the lid, nothing is clogged ever. We have tried leaving the line open and also closed but it doesn't seem to matter. There is just a smell that is hard to describe. Any suggestions? Thanks for any tips.
Lynda
Old 07-05-2005, 05:03 PM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Lynda,
Sometimes the gray water system gets stinky. Close the gray water valve, put some of whatever you use for odor control (our preferred product is odorloss), it contains no formaldehyde nor any of the other nasty chemicals some products have. Use your water normally until the gray tank is full, then drain it too. Also, if you don't use a particular drain (if you use the campground shower all the time for instance) the water in the p trap can evaporate, and any odor comes up that way, so put some water down every drain.

Hope this helps.

L8r,
Steve
Steve & Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 AM   #4

You may have a clogged vent pipe. Have you checked? Try to run a water hose down the vent from the roof (don't run water down it). There may be a nest of some sort restricting the airflow.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
LKS

Thanks for the tips, we always kept the grey line open so it could run into the sewer since we don't have to worry about emptying it. We do use our camper for showers and are quite liberal with the water since we don't have a bladder box to get emptied. Should we close it and add some chemical to it and see if that helps? I just assumed the smell was from the toilet waste. I was going to stop at a RV store and see what they had to suggest, but figured no one was trying to push a product here. Thanks for the help.
Lynda
Old 07-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #6

If you are leaving your dump valve open all the time that's where your problem is. Keep it closed and open it to empty the tank on occasion.
Strega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
One other thing you may want to check is for a vent under a sink. IF so it may not be operating properly; allowing gases back up through it. Let us know what you find that solves the problem.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your profile says you have a TT it isn't big enough for a washer dryer is it If it is make sure the trap has water in it. If your vent under the sink isn't working properly, the gases from your sewer can be entering your RV. One other thing check your toilet pipe into your holding tank if you see a half moon of toilet paper staring at you your sewer pipe has dropped out of your floor flange. Check my post in Newmar forum an you will understand. Welcome to irv2 an the wonderful world of RVing. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #9
LKS

Thank you to everyone for the tips. We found the problem. Last week we were there and it of course had the odor and I really notice everytime I walked past the over it smelled more than when I went by or into the bathroom. I have never used the oven, only the stove top. I decided to open the oven to see if maybe it was very dirty since I never used it, I had no idea. When I opened it the odor was so strong. I looked at the oven knobs and instead of oven off it was turned to pilot on. So, we figured that all of this time it was leaking propane into the trailer. I turned it to pilot off and the smell went away. We have been back since and no odor. I was so relieved since thinking back it could have been really a different ending possibly. I noticed the last time my son and his gf went she was sick throwing up and headache for the day after she went home. One time I was there myself I also woke up during the night feeling really sick, not thinking until last week when we noticed the pilot was on. So, we covered the knob with duct tape and told everyone not to remove it. We never use the oven like I said, only the stove top or the grill outside. So, please be cautious and everyone ck. your knobs. Who would have thought to look at the knobs, I'm just thankful I did when I did.
Thanks again and happy camping.
Lynda
Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What is your LP gas detector doing all this time The LP detect should be flashing a green light every 8 sec's. There is a plastic shim thats suppose to be removed, if it isn't it will not sound a alarm or flash. If shim is removed than you maynot have 12volts to protector. You may be missing a 1 amp fuse or have a switch to cut it off in winter months. You are very lucky you could of had a explosion when you turned on a light switch. YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT. Your paper work should have some info on your protector if you do not understand check with your dealer. This has happen to alot of us, myself included, dogs, littleones can accidently turn that knob, most knobs should have to be pushed in, to be able to turn it. BE SAFE "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I am so glad to hear that you have found the odor problem without a tragic mishap. Please do investigate why the LP leak detector did not warn you of this danger. If it is defective, replace it before using the unit again. Take care & be safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote