Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

It looks like I have 4 6v house Batts in pairs so I will replace with similar to ease the installation
Vnm02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vnm02 View Post
It looks like I have 4 6v house Batts in pairs so I will replace with similar to ease the installation
good choice....
Old 07-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

I would guess that your converter or inverter/charger is not charging your batteries, or they would not have reached this condition (although it could also be overcharging and boiled all the water out). I would suggest you check the voltage across the batteries while plugged into shore power. It should be somewhere in the range of 13.2 to 13.6 volts when they are fully charged (maintenance charge) but might be up to about 14.5 volts when charging up. A voltage in the 12.7 volts or lower will show that whatever is supposed to charge them is not working.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
Hello,

>Does everything go through the inverter/charger?

No.

AC for example does not.

Did you check the "Ground Fault Indicator" for tripped? It is "normally" in or near the bathroom.
Vnm02..(& Mark)
On my coach the incoming shore 120VAC, (or generator 120VAC) "passes through" the inverter, (and through 2 120V circuit breakers on the inverter), on it's way to many, (but not all), of the house recepticals.

(See twinboat's message #5)
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Vnm02..(& Mark)
On my coach the incoming shore 120VAC, (or generator 120VAC) "passes through" the inverter, (and through 2 120V circuit breakers on the inverter), on it's way to many, (but not all), of the house recepticals.

(See twinboat's message #5)
Mel
'96 Safari
FWIW I would find that quite interesting. I seldom disagree with twinboat as we tend to think the same way. If your setup runs the Air Conditioning through the Inverter that means you could theoretically use the batteries to run the Air Conditioner. Not a very good idea. Probably why most units with big inverters split the load before the Inverter. That concept had me thinking "maybe" about what he said so I added my comment. I would physically check it to make sure what is really happening. OTOH I can see why it might be done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:19 AM   #20

Well that is confusing.

Quote:
On my coach the incoming shore 120VAC, (or generator 120VAC) "passes through" the inverter, (and through 2 120V circuit breakers on the inverter),...
That seems you are saying that ALL AC goes to the invertor first.

Then you say:

Quote:
(but not all), of the house recepticals.
That seems you are saying "some" 120 outlets are not from the invertor = not ALL AC goes through the invertor.

I am also confused why IN AC would go through an invertor. What is the invertor doing to the AC? Nothing? Just passing it through? Providing circuit breakers only?

If you have a invertor/battery charger combo, I could understand an AC in to the unit, otherwise what is the point.

I would be interested in seeing a wiring schematic of the coach.

Confused.
Mark- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I would find that quite interesting. I seldom disagree with twinboat as we tend to think the same way. If your setup runs the Air Conditioning through the Inverter that means you could theoretically use the batteries to run the Air Conditioner. Not a very good idea. Probably why most units with big inverters split the load before the Inverter. That concept had me thinking "maybe" about what he said so I added my comment. I would physically check it to make sure what is really happening. OTOH I can see why it might be done.
I never said all AC goes thru the inverter, but on most, some does. How much and to what, is up to the builder or installer.

I don't know what Mel has.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:53 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark- View Post
Well that is confusing.

That seems you are saying that ALL AC goes to the invertor first.

Then you say:

That seems you are saying "some" 120 outlets are not from the invertor = not ALL AC goes through the invertor.

I am also confused why IN AC would go through an invertor. What is the invertor doing to the AC? Nothing? Just passing it through? Providing circuit breakers only?

If you have a invertor/battery charger combo, I could understand an AC in to the unit, otherwise what is the point.

I would be interested in seeing a wiring schematic of the coach.

Confused.
because the AC-IN on your inverter is actually the input to a transfer switch. With power applied to the AC-IN, it is passed through. When NO power exists on AC-IN, the inverter will produce it's own version of 120vac and send IT down the line. That connection is valid even though there is no charger involved with that type of inverter.

IF Mel's 120vac shore power/gen power goes through the inverter transfer switch, before it goes through the main breakers, he must have a non-factory installed system. That arrangement is not the usual.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I never said all AC goes thru the inverter, but on most, some does. How much and to what, is up to the builder or installer.
I don't know what Mel has.
twinboat
As you say: not all shore, or generator, AC power "passes through" my inverter.

On my Heart Freedom 20 inverter, 120VAC shore or generator power "passes through" the inverter, (and therefore through the 120V breakers on the inverter), ONLY to the receptacles that can be powered by the inverter.

Any receptacles that are not wired to operate on inverter power, (as well as the 2 rooftop A/C units), do not get power through the "inverter pass-through".
To use those receptacles, and/or the roof A/C units, I have to have shore or generator 120VAC power.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
because the AC-IN on your inverter is actually the input to a transfer switch. With power applied to the AC-IN, it is passed through. When NO power exists on AC-IN, the inverter will produce it's own version of 120vac and send IT down the line. That connection is valid even though there is no charger involved with that type of inverter.

IF Mel's 120vac shore power/gen power goes through the inverter transfer switch, before it goes through the main breakers, he must have a non-factory installed system. That arrangement is not the usual.
On my coach NO 120VAC power goes TO or THROUGH my Heart Freedom 20 inverter before it goes through the main breakers.
Mel
Old 07-31-2016, 12:05 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
On my coach NO 120VAC power goes TO or THROUGH my Heart Freedom 20 inverter before it goes through the main breakers.
Mel
Thanks for clearing that up, Mel.
A couple of the folks sounded confused on that issue.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #26

FWIW If you go back and look there is some confusion in the first posts. At least part of it is differentiating between AC as in Alternating Current and A/C as in Air Conditioning.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power