Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
shower diverter leak?

We have a run of the mill shower faucet with a diverter to the shower head. The hose/head was disconected over the winter. We just reconnected it. When I pull the diverter lever to run the water up to the shower head, it is leaking between the mixer base unit and the spout. Almost like it is running full force and the pump is running full time. If I do not run the water up the hose it does not leak. When I have the water on, running through the shower head, it doesn't leak. It only leaks when the shower head is turned off when I am soaping up. Is there some sort of washer in there? It has been going on a little bit since purchase, but it is way over the edge now. I am camping right now. Is the spout made to unscrew like a residential faucet? The whole unit is only plastic. I do not want to pull the whole unit away from the wall as I do not have any caulk with me.

Jim

2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Jim, the unit is designed to drain off the water from the shower head in this manner. It is probably a little more prominent now, as the rubber diaphragm has dried out some. I would not worry about at this point. Enjoy your trip.

06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Thanx.....the rubber diaphragm, is that a replacable part? I'm trying to avoid pulling the whole mixer unit away from the wall. There is a nice factory caulk job to the tub surround. My wife is usually the one who takes showers in the RV, I usually use the campground's facilities. I just thought it was leaking too much. She just turns the water off between soaping up.....
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:26 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If it is the one I am thinking of, you should be able to unscrew the vacuum breaker that is between the hose and the faucet. Many RV repair facilities should have this piece. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue & 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 toads
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is like the one I had once I got it off and apart I found that all I needed to do was

1: Remove shower hose from mixer faucet (NOTE: This was a mixer not a diverter, more on that later)

2: Remove rubber flapper/diaphraham

3: Turn over

4: Re-assemble

Mixer: mixes hot and cold and delivers it to ONE outlet (The shower in this case)

Diverter, Mixes hot and cold and delivers it to one of TWO outlets (Tub fill or sink fill and shower)
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #6

wa8yxm, I know this was discussed some time ago but i hope you can shed some light on my problem. When I turn off the shower head after soaping up I suspect it is leaking behind the shower itself as i find water on the floor adjacent to the shower. I suspect that the leak is coming from one of the faucets. We usually turn the hot faucet on full and adjust the cold faucet to regulate the temp. Could the back pressure be leaking through the cold faucet as it is not open full. I have checked the seals around the shower base and they are fine. Home faucets can be adjusted by cranking down on the adjustments to allow more pressure on the valve shaft. I'm not sure if this would work on my RV faucets. Any help on this would be appreciated.