Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Side Camera vs. Beeper

No matter how I adjust my passenger side mirror, there is a very small area where there is a blind spot, especially if the vehicle beside me is a low-sitting compact car. I want to install either a side camera or one of those things that beeps when there is a vehicle beside you. I don’t want to side swipe someone by trying to change lanes when there’s someone beside me. I think a beeper would be better at night because the camera I’ll be connecting it to doesn’t have great night vision. A camera, however, would be better during the day. Would love to hear from those out there who have one or the other, especially concerning night driving. Thanks.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

As an ex tour coach (aka bus) driver we only used convex mirrors on either side. There were no blind spots and I didn't have to be concerned about them failing.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side Camera vs. Beeper

Canuck.... With the right kind of mirrors properly adjusted, there are no blind spots except possibly a few feet directly in front of the coach (and that spot is easy to cover if you feel the need, a la school bus).
How are your mirrors configured? Most coaches have a split side mirror on each side- the top 2/3 a flat mirror that is electrically adjustable, and the bottom 1/3 a convex that is manually adjustable. You should drive with your rear view camera on. In that setup, and considering your peripheral vision as a fourth sight line, you should always be able to see rear approaching and passing traffic in at least 2 and possibly 3 of these sight lines.
On some coaches the right hand side may make you feel uneasy. In addition to the mirrors you might want to add a plastic sheet fresnel lens, about 10” x 14”, low on your coach door window. With that in place the only space you can’t see is within about a foot of the sidewall by the front wheel. That ought to be fine.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, I’d sure like to avoid buying & installing a camera if it’s at all possible. I’ll monkey around a little more with the convex mirror and see if I can’t eliminate the blind spot. Thanks for the guidance, both of you.
FloridaCanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
When I tow behind my 40'er, I use my mirrors exclusively. I find the side cameras to be of no value whatsoever. Especially when I have overtaken slower traffic. I put on my right signal to merge back into the right lane, and my right side camera shows me terrain I already know to be clear. What I want to see is the REAR camera to determine if I am clear of the traffic I just passed.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 AM   #6

Long before there were cameras drivers just learned to judge the distances behind their rigs using their side mirrors.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
The convex mirror is the key to what you need done.
Set it so that you can JUST seen the side of the RV in the edge of the mirror, when you're sitting in your normal driving position (you want more road in the mirror, and less RV).
Then angle it down just a bit to eliminate the 'sports car' blind spot.
You SHOULD be able to set it so that you can see all along the side of your RV without the need for electronic aids.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Long before there were cameras drivers just learned to judge the distances behind their rigs using their side mirrors.
...and drivers would flash their headlights to tell you that you were clear.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:25 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you use only the side cameras there is a slight delay coming on and you need to adjust the eyes to the monitor then on the road behind and then back to the road ahead. All times you are not focused ahead. 1 sec is 166' travel at 60mph.
The outside mirrors are also more in your line of sight looking ahead.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:29 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
The convex mirror is the key to what you need done.
Set it so that you can JUST seen the side of the RV in the edge of the mirror, when you're sitting in your normal driving position (you want more road in the mirror, and less RV).
Then angle it down just a bit to eliminate the 'sports car' blind spot.
You SHOULD be able to set it so that you can see all along the side of your RV without the need for electronic aids.
Exactly, keep your mirrors tilted down with the skyline barely visible at the top. There is no need to be looking at the sky and you will be able to see those little cars.

As there are videos for everything there are several on you tube to show you how to properly set them.

I can watch them come up on the rear observation cam, see them enter the upper mirror, then pass to the convex. No blind spots.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side Camera vs. Beeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
.......All times you are not focused ahead. 1 sec is 166' travel at 60mph.
The outside mirrors are also more in your line of sight looking ahead.
Perhaps nitpicky, you may think, but in the interest of clarity I will point out that 1 second equates to 88 ft of travel at 60 mph.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera