Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #1

Question Slide seal question and what make is slide?

Okay, bought this 2004 fifth wheel it is a Wilderness 245, it is the first unit I have had that has a slide, so today after all the rain we are getting I go check for leaks in the unit and find if standing looking at the slide from inside the top left corner on the top is letting a small amount of water in, now I know nothing about slides, with the pouring rain here on our wet coast I do not want to open it, tried running it in tighter by pushing the in button.
Then put the travel bars to try and make it fit tighter also, now it still seems to be letting water in and I have taken some pictures to try and see what you think of how the seals are sitting, the one on the left side is sitting differently from the right side, so wonder if that would stop the slide from sealing tight?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First picture I see that the side seal did not "flip" when the slide retracted. Some non skid tape placed in the proper area will fix that. Next, if you don't have a slide topper(cover),

Get one, that will keep most of the water away from that area.

Mike
Old 12-13-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
The seal on the top is not installed properly. The sweep part of the seal should be over the sweep part of the seal on the vertical seals looking from the outside. Think of it like shingles on a roof. The top has to overlap the one under it. With the room half way out, use a ladder & try to flip the top sweep part of the seal outward and over the vertical seals on the outside. This should take care of the problem if the bulb part of the seal is good and the seal itself does not have any gaps where it attaches to the extruded aluminum framing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
The seal on the top is not installed properly. The sweep part of the seal should be over the sweep part of the seal on the vertical seals looking from the outside. Think of it like shingles on a roof. The top has to overlap the one under it. With the room half way out, use a ladder & try to flip the top sweep part of the seal outward and over the vertical seals on the outside. This should take care of the problem if the bulb part of the seal is good and the seal itself does not have any gaps where it attaches to the extruded aluminum framing.
RV Wizard is correct about flipping the corners to create a shingled effect. I had to do that also.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #5

Okay, will have to try some of your suggestions, but I did get some 1" wide non skid tape from our bodyman, where or how far out or in on the side should I put it, I can imagine it should be before the slide is all the way in, as then it would do nothing, so what distance from the end of the slide should it be to catch the seal and flip it.