RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #1

OK Guys...needs your ideas.

My 1yr 9mo old fiver has a living room/ dinette slide that's getting kinda sluggish. I have never lubricated the slide bar underneath or the concealed gears etc on the electric mechanism that operates it.

Iam preping for this summer and operating it without the dual batteries installed right now (i.e. just running off the A.C. system)

I would appreciate any and all advice and experiences on what to lube or not, and what lubes work best.

Thanks, and Happy camping to all this summer
Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #2

OK Guys...needs your ideas.

My 1yr 9mo old fiver has a living room/ dinette slide that's getting kinda sluggish. I have never lubricated the slide bar underneath or the concealed gears etc on the electric mechanism that operates it.

Iam preping for this summer and operating it without the dual batteries installed right now (i.e. just running off the A.C. system)

I would appreciate any and all advice and experiences on what to lube or not, and what lubes work best.

Thanks, and Happy camping to all this summer
Joe

Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM   #3

...clean the slides with a thinner and lubericate with a silicone product that drys and is still slippery.....grease and alike attract dirt and bind up....'specially sandy enviros......geofkaye
Old 04-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #4

The slideout on our 5th wheel became sluggish on our last trip. My husband had kept the gears lubricated, so was puzzled. A friend advised him to make sure both trailer batteries were connected and fully charged, and even when hooked up to AC, the slideout pulls some power from the batteries. Sure enough, our batteries were down a bit. He charged them up, and the slideout worked like it used to. Hope this helps.
Joyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 07:11 PM   #5

Our slide was sluggish and we learned that the cellanoid (sp?) was going bad. They can be damaged if the batteries are not fully charged when operating the slide.

Hope this helps.

Abby our best friend & bed hog
tracyre2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After inspecting the slide ways and gears get yourself come AMSOIL MP Heavy Duty Metal Protector. This stuff may cost a bit but it works great on this type of application. Also plug in your batteries because the motors need the extra amps that are drawn from there
Old 04-18-2005, 06:11 PM   #7

Installed my 2 fully charged batteries and it made a big difference. The slides work almost as good as new now. I will have to remember that damaged solenoid fix for down the road

Thanx all for your advice.

Happy Campin this summer
Joe
Old 04-20-2005, 06:00 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MojaveJoe:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm suprised that it hasn't blown the breaker running the slide without your batteries hooked up. Most AC to 12v DC converters can't provide enough current under load to drive the slide mechanism.

Is the slide still sluggish when you have the batteries connected?

Westhaver Associates, Inc.
WesWesthaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 07:28 AM   #9

In addition to Wes's comments, most converters do not produce clean DC. They use the batteries as a capacitor to smooth out the voltage. Most converter literature states not to use them without a battery connected.