Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #1

Solar Charge Controller replacement

I have a Heliotrope RV-30DE controller which is no longer made. Mine isn't working as far as I can tell. The guy I bought the coach from said that just the digital display was inop because the pocket door hit it. Having now owned the coach for a few months, I doubt it is working at all. I was going to disconnect the wires from my batteries and put my multimeter to work but (luckily) before I did, I read in my owner's manual that the Panels need to be disconnected before the batteries. So, how do I verify if the system is working?

Assuming it is not working, do y'all have a recommendation for a replacement controller? I've looked at the Blue Sky 3000i and SC 30 which both flush mount where my old controller would come out. One issue I'm wrestling with is my RV-30 has two "out" terminals that can charge the HOUSE and CHASSIS batteries separately. I can find NO controller anywhere that mentions it can charge two separate battery banks! Do i just forget about charging CHASSIS batteries?

Having owned our coach for just 5 months (our first) I don't foresee doing much boondocking. If the coach hadn't come with the system, I wouldn't have considered putting one on. BUT, since I have these two big panels on my roof that I'm dragging around the country, I'd kind of like to see them work, ya know? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks.
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Md11fpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Morningstar Duo.

https://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/sunsaver-duo/
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:33 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can check panel output with a multimeter. Volts and current. Isolate each panel at the combiner point.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:11 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Md11fpilot View Post
I've looked at the Blue Sky 3000i and SC 30 which both flush mount where my old controller would come out. One issue I'm wrestling with is my RV-30 has two "out" terminals that can charge the HOUSE and CHASSIS batteries separately. I can find NO controller anywhere that mentions it can charge two separate battery banks! Do i just forget about charging CHASSIS batteries?
The Blue Sky 3000i has a Auxiliary connection that is designed to charge the Chassis Batteries. Download the Manual on their website and look at page 10.
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/uplo...SE_SB3000i.pdf
Old 01-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dverstra View Post
The Blue Sky 3000i has a Auxiliary connection that is designed to charge the Chassis Batteries. Download the Manual on their website and look at page 10.
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/uplo...SE_SB3000i.pdf
This is a good controller. Has the dual outputs. However its an MPPT controller whereas the OP's system is currently PWM controller and likely the two panels are 12v panels wired in parallel. To best take advantage of the MPPT technology higher voltage from the solar array is best. Rewiring the two panels in series would be one way to go with this controller.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

thanks

Thanks for your time and knowledge in helping me out! This forum...and it's members are a GREAT resource!
Mark and Anita - First Timers, West Tennessee. 2002 Monaco Diplomat 40ft, Cummins ISC330, Allison 3000, Amsoil Lubricants stem to stern, 2013 Ford Edge AWD TOAD with Roadmaster Falcon 2 and a Brakemaster
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #7

Low/no voltage

I pulled my Helio panel out of the wall and disconnected the PV leads. Put my voltmeter on the PV leads and got a reading of 0.42 volts. Haven't climbed on the roof yet to check each panel individually. I'm wondering what kind of voltages I should be looking at - understanding I'm north of sun-soaked Seattle!! Today was full sun, no clouds but the sun elevation only gets to about 20 degrees above the horizon this time of year. I still feel like I should be getting more juice than less than half a volt! Any other thoughts out there? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:56 PM   #8

Check every connection. Each panel should produce at least 14 volts. In most sun light conditions.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:55 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree. Voltage somewhere in the teens would be the expectation in full sun. Amps will be about 50% of rated for this time of year, your location, and laid flat.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 AM   #10

Mark-

A couple ideas:

1) If you need a replacement PWM controller, the Bogart Engineering SC-2030 might work. You need to confirm- I have not installed solar on our coaches. It pairs with the Bogart Engineering TM-2030 battery monitor. A battery monitor is a very useful tool.

You can make a custom mounting plate to mount these devices in place of your current solar controller. I often use 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick black ABS for mounting items on my coach.

2) If you are concerned about cross-charging your chassis batteries, and feel limited to dual-output solar charge controllers, you first should find out if your coach has an existing, functioning house-to-chassis charge system. If it does, you should be golden- solar charge will charge both banks through that. If your coach has a house-to-chassis charging system and it's broken, you could fix it. If it has no such system, you can install an Amp-L-Start or Trik-L-Start. With one of those in place, or your coach's existing system working as designed, your coach's chassis batteries will get charge current from shore and generator power, in addition to solar.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #11

Low/no Voltage at Panels

Disconnected plugs from each PV panel yesterday on the roof and put my voltmeter to both. One panels is reading .40 volts and the other .30 volts. This on a cloudy day in Pacific NW. So I'm concluding that both of my solar panels are shot/bad/broke/nonfunctional/kaput! Yes?

Mark - don't know if my coach has a 'house to chassis battery charge system'. I've assumed that it does in that chassis battery is charged when I'm on shore power or generator (or so I think). Don't know how I would confirm that that is the case though. But curiously, whoever installed the solar system ran charge wires to house and chassis batteries independently. hmmm.

Now I'm real tempted to pull the solar panels off the roof - leave the brackets, I guess so I don't have holes to patch - cap the cables that are up there, remove the controller and cover hole with your 1/8" black ABS cover plate (thanks for that tip) and unhook the wires from my batteries and call it a loss and lesson learned.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #12

Traced wires this evening from inverter/charger to house batteries. I see no wiring continuing on or connecting the charger to the CHASSIS batteries. So what I assumed was wrong. Also checked house and chassis battery voltages with the charger ON and OFF and it tells me chassis batteries don't get juice from the charger. I unhooked my battery wires from the Solar Controller, disconnected the wires at the Solar Controller and removed it from the coach.

Anyone guide me to a good source for solar panels?
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 AM   #13

The inverter/charger will only go to the house batteries.

Your chassis charging should be handled by the same cables that your boost switch uses.

They are also the same cables that handle the house battery charging, from the chassis charging system, while running down the road.

You should have a solenoid and isolation manager control and you can check that its working. The isolation manager is a voltage sensing device that only connects the two battery banks when there is at least 13.2 volts being supplied by one of your charging sources.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The inverter/charger will only go to the house batteries.

Your chassis charging should be handled by the same cables that your boost switch uses.

They are also the same cables that handle the house battery charging, from the chassis charging system, while running down the road.

You should have a solenoid and isolation manager control and you can check that its working. The isolation manager is a voltage sensing device that only connects the two battery banks when there is at least 13.2 volts being supplied by one of your charging sources.
Thanks twinboat. The light is coming on for me. Sure wish some of this was in the Owner's Manual! Noted the solenoid on my coach. OM says it is used for "jumping" a low/dead chassis battery from the HOUSE...that switch is labeled "AUX START" on my coach. So it also "trickle charges" across there all the time regardless of switch position. Got it.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, solar