Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 04:37 AM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes they are very nice mounts http://brightsolar-power.com/index.php/produc

3M VHB tape is fairly easy to get off using solvent or orange cleaner i.e. Goof Off. How do I know this, I use VHB tape for quite a few things including mounting the air pump in my tongue box and the solar controller on top of the battery box. I used it for attaching the Kedar/awning rail on the roof. I do not like putting holes in the roof where I do not have to!
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #16

We put solar panels on our rig a season or two ago. We use it for everything when boondocking.

We have about 250watts of panels, to a solar charge controller, to our battery bank which consists of 3 deep cycle batteries.

It really is that simple .
Old 09-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What do you do if you have 6volt batteries?
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
What do you do if you have 6volt batteries?
I'm confused... You wire them in Series for 12v ..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ooopps....sorry, you're right. It is late, wasn't thinking...better go to bed.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Here are some nice mounts, especially if you desire to maximize your solar panel output by directing panels at the sun.

AM Solar Mounts

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #22

This is for John Hilley. You said you fused each solar panel. What size fuse did you use. I am putting two 140 watt panels on right now and can't decide whether to fuse the panels or not. The short circuit current and the max power current are only about 1 amp apart, 8 something vs 7 something. They will be in parallel. If I fuse with 20 amps the fuse may never blow even if there is a short circuit. If I fuse with 15 amps the fuse may blow at noon every day. Whether I fuse them individually or the parallel combo I still see the same question. At the moment I have left a fuse out of the panel line. I do have a fuse between charge controller and the batteries. How did you pick your fuse sizes?

Jim
AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have set up my system to charge the house batteries whenever I put the panels out into the sun. I made a mickey mouse hookup to test the system and it worked so I made the hookup somewhat permanent.

two battery leads - long cord to services bay - cigarette lighter plug - lighter thingy - wire to solar panel - solar panels on stands.

Like I said a tad mickey mouse but seeing as how it works and well I will finish placing everything permanent when we get back from our next trip starting later today.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvoJim View Post
This is for John Hilley. You said you fused each solar panel. What size fuse did you use. I am putting two 140 watt panels on right now and can't decide whether to fuse the panels or not. The short circuit current and the max power current are only about 1 amp apart, 8 something vs 7 something. They will be in parallel. If I fuse with 20 amps the fuse may never blow even if there is a short circuit. If I fuse with 15 amps the fuse may blow at noon every day. Whether I fuse them individually or the parallel combo I still see the same question. At the moment I have left a fuse out of the panel line. I do have a fuse between charge controller and the batteries. How did you pick your fuse sizes?

Jim
Technically for parallel connected arrays it should be 1.25 x imp. It is not so much a safety thing as a convenience. I can disconnect any panel from the array by pulling the fuse. This could be handy if one of the panels shorted out or became damaged. It is also nice for maintenance. It is more important in series connected panels in an array. In this configuration Kyocera recommends a 15 amp fuse for my KD135SX panels. There is never going to be a safety concern with the voltages, current and wire sizes used. I used 10 amp fuses.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, solar