Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solenoid propane valve system removal

Since the failure of my propane detector with valve control on my vintage RV I have been reading as much as I can find on the subject, and in many posts on other forums it is said that this safety feature is no longer required on newer motor-homes and many motor-homes owner are now removing these solenoid valve systems, so before I decide to upgrade my system buy installing a completely new valve system, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these valve systems and the same in regard to just removing the solenoid valve and allow the propane to flow as long as the tank valve is on? I would like to be able to weight the pros and cons before contracting the upgrades.

This is our first motorhome and I do not want to start by making a serious error of judgement due to the cost.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Replace it with this one... Safe-T-Alert Model 70-742-R ( it MUST have the "R" in the part number for the Relay)

Mti Industries Inc - Safe-T-Alert Carbon Monoxide/Propane Alarm - Brown - Safety - Camping World

Hard to believe but Camping World has one of the lowest prices on this unit.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed the 70-742-R alarm recently.

My old unit had the solenoid relay so I continued with the concept.

The protect it provides is when the Alarm sounds, the valve is closed, and propane stops flowing.

Without the relay, the propane continues to flow.

I guess the two open flames in a MH are the water heater and the refrigerator.

Although not likely, propane continuing to leak into the rig even though an alarm is sounding could be detonated by one of those flames?

So, the solenoid makes some sense to me. Especially if the rig is occupied.

I had to replace my solenoid with the new one that came with the Alarm because it is not compatible with my old one.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

I just replaced the propane detector in my motorhome with a new one. They recommend replacement every 5 years.
I purchased mine from Safe Home Products Inc. They were the least expensive of all the sites that I checked. The shipping was fast and very reasonable.
They also carry the unit that you would replace yours with-Saf-T-Alert 70-742-R.
Good Luck, Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is personal safety decision. The requirement for a propane shut-off valve was dropped from the ANSI RV standards over 10 years ago, so presumably even the fire safety gurus did not feel it was a justifiable expense. But one can certainly conceive of situations where it might prevent a fire or even asphyxiation. They simply are not situations that are very likely to happen.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #6

I like the concept of an automatic shutoff valve - certainly don't like the $200 price tag of the new valve. Not sure what I will do when the old one kicks the bucket - not positive but I think you would have to jump some wires to keep the old solenoid open.

When your detector kicked the bucket are you getting propane now or is it shut off?
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksg5000 View Post
I like the concept of an automatic shutoff valve - certainly don't like the $200 price tag of the new valve. Not sure what I will do when the old one kicks the bucket - not positive but I think you would have to jump some wires to keep the old solenoid open.

When your detector kicked the bucket are you getting propane now or is it shut off?
Well after everything said and down, I will try and trouble shoot it one more time, but I have little doubt it is toast, and base on what I have discovered being the solenoid is 9 volt to open and 1.5 to keep it open using a switch will only burn the solenoid, causing a new problem, so I all but decided to remove that valve and add that section of flange to replace, it, I have no plan on running the propane at anytime except while camping, so I am not worried about the safety factor, all of my travel travels are the same way and I have yet to have any problem with that, but I will install in it's place the best propane detector available to protect us in case there is a leak, I have also considered adding a valve I can turn off inside, but I wont worry about that until I am able to see if I can pull new pipe to the interior.

Can anyone tell me the name and size of the flange that i will need to insert where the valve was?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

There are 12v gas shutoff valves available. Here one for $69

CCI CONTROLS LP GAS VALVE from Marine

IMPCO Parts - FL-416-12V closed, 12 VDC electric solenoid shutoff valve suitable for use with propane.
Tyco Flow Control Environmental Systems
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote