Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Solution to narrow pantry

looking for some ideas and/or suggestions for how to improve the use of a poorly designed pantry/cabinet in our MH.

we have a floor to ceiling pantry that is about 4 1/2 inches wide at the frame work (with a door)... probally closer to 6 - 7 inches inside. there are adjustable shelves in the pantry. the frig is to the right of it and a wall to the left. it is so deep that my wife can't reach the back of it. we thought that we could put in some kind of sliding system to utilize it better, but with such a narrow opening, the only thing we have seen is a wire basket style sliding system that would only turn it into a very large spice cabinet.. no one uses that many spices.

is there anyone out there who has found something useful to use a tall narrow space for? or a system of some kind that will allow us to utilize this type of space better?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will be very interested in what members have come up with as we, too, have the same narrow but deep pantry.

I have looked into some kind of roller pull-out shelf (similar to the flat pull-out shelves that are in rv basement pass thrus, but on a much smaller scale) attached on top of the existing shelves that would allow me access to items at the back. But, to clear the doorframe, they sorta have to be even narrower than the already existing shelves. That reduces the number of items I can get on that moving shelf & wastes space in there.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Somewhere, I have seen a system that the entire door and face frame pulls out on guides and gives you a wider shelf inside. This is a thin pantry design such as you describe. I will try to find it on-line.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
It's something like this, but you have to use your imagination. Imagine the outside of this cabinet has your face frame and door attached making it appear to be just a door for a cabinet but in fact it would be a false door and in reality be the one side of the sliding pantry. Also, instead of wheels on the bottom, it has slides both top and bottom on both sides.

The whole pull out cabinet would be as wide as your current face frame. This is not the one, just the concept, I'll keep looking. I have seen one in a MH somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yhst-70806688022376_2080_19084427.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1989  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Getting closer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	w0204.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1990  
Old 12-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
That's what I'm looking for, Jim. I never thought to have the door come out with the rolling shelves, but that works. Then I could take off the face frame that makes the shelves even narrower & make much better use of the space. Looks like I'll have another item for the honey-do list.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & Jeep Liberty Limited, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Here's link to slides, and some pictures of similar.

Pantry Slides - Rockler Woodworking Tools
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Found it.

Pantry Accessories | Pantry Pull Out Shelves Organizers | Roll out Pantries | Sw - Slide out Shelves
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #9

thanks Jim, looks exactly like what I need.....i'll check into it deeper to see if there's one that will fit my needs and space.

thanks again