RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Splendid Dryer

We have a new Splendide dryer that gets warm but not really hot. Takes forever to dry clothes. Is that normal for this appliance? The washer works great. I was wondering about putting a thermometer of some sort in the dryer to see exactly how hot it is getting. Tried calling Splendide several times but they have long wait times.
Thanks

John3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

If it is NOT a vented model you are likely going to have very unsatisfactory results with this unit. These units do not have a hot air option but rather use condensation techniques to remove the moisture for the clothes. It is very time consuming and it's my understanding that the results are not that good.
If it is vented the dryer should be getting hot so check that the vent is clear and you have good air flow outside.

Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #3
vwd

Mine is vented and gets very hot even though it is only 120 volt. It is also very bad to wrinkle if you dry more than a couple of items. Fabric softener helps. or just learn to ignore wrinkles.
vwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #4

To avoid wrinkles, be sure you dry about 1/2 what you wash, remove everything and shake out well before drying and then (am not not kidding) fold your sheets and pants first and dry this way. They will dry just as fast and with few wrinkles.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
We have a new Splendide dryer that gets warm but not really hot. Takes forever to dry clothes. Is that normal for this appliance? The washer works great. I was wondering about putting a thermometer of some sort in the dryer to see exactly how hot it is getting. Tried calling Splendide several times but they have long wait times.
Thanks
I have made numerous calls to Westland Sales (Splendide representative), and I have only gotten through once on the first try. If you leave a message, someone will eventually call you back. Once you get hold of someone, they are very helpful.

If it is a vented model and it's not getting hot, I suspect poor air flow. This can happen for several reasons.
1. The vent is clogged with lint as Bill Adams says. And it's not just the flapper opening and flexible dryer hose that can clog. There is a little rubber elbow inside the cabinet that can also trap lint.
2. The blower motor has failed.
3. The rubber collar that connects the heater duct with the drum has come off and air isn't getting into the drum as is should.

Once you get through to Westland, they will be able to help you troubleshoot some of the causes. It will help if you have a volt-ohm meter and know how to use it.

Let us know what you find out.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM   #6

Its a vented model. I will check to see if air is coming out of the vent.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We have a ventless washer dryer. Works very well. No vent to worry about. Lots of small apartments use the non vent, less heat to worry about. Time to dry is never a problem if you use it every one or 2 days. I know that is not your problem? likely your vent is plugged. Either unit is nice to have.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:20 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do not break that handle on the splendide washer/dryer. Ours was always hard to open after the end cycle. It finally broke. The replacement cost $ 64.00 with shipping. I had to do a little modification on the new handle, works like a charm now.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our dryer is vented, we had to change out the heating element about three months ago, now its working fine.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #10

Finally got around to checking on the dryer again with everyones suggestions. With the dryer running there is lots of air coming outside so it seems to be hooked up OK.
I got a small thermometer and stuck it in the lint cleaner opening. The temperature was 117 degrees with dryer running without clothes in it. Did the same thing with our stick house dryer and it was running at 118 degrees.
Guess the darn thing is running OK. Just takes a long time to dry.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #11
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by John3 View Post
Finally got around to checking on the dryer again with everyones suggestions. With the dryer running there is lots of air coming outside so it seems to be hooked up OK.
I got a small thermometer and stuck it in the lint cleaner opening. The temperature was 117 degrees with dryer running without clothes in it. Did the same thing with our stick house dryer and it was running at 118 degrees.
Guess the darn thing is running OK. Just takes a long time to dry.

Thanks for your help.
The dryer does take a long time to dry. Remember, your dryer at home is usually larger than your washer. If you wash a full load in the Splendide and then try to dry it all at once, it will take forever. Either wash smaller loads (which is what we usually do), or stop after the spin cycle and remove half the cloths and dry them in 2 batches.

Smaller loads will also reduce wrinkles.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #12

Will try smaller loads. We have been following the load size instructions on the washer but they may be too optomistic.
Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
If it is NOT a vented model you are likely going to have very unsatisfactory results with this unit. These units do not have a hot air option but rather use condensation techniques to remove the moisture for the clothes. It is very time consuming and it's my understanding that the results are not that good.
If it is vented the dryer should be getting hot so check that the vent is clear and you have good air flow outside.
We have a splendide VENTLESS combo washer dryer and it does indeed have a high & low hot air option.(cold water is used inside the internal condensing unit along with a 1400 Watt heating element & blower - the waste water less than 5 gal per hour when drying,also flushes the lint down the drain) I have used it with and without a sewer hookup for 3 years 2-3 times a week and has never clogged the plumbing.There is also a warning label from Monaco on the compartment door that states "you must open a window when using a VENTED dryer as it causes negative pressure inside the coach" (from the use of makeup air from inside the coach used by the vented dryer) that can bring in combustion fumes from any fuel burning appliance (Aqua Hot-LP Refer-Water Heater or Furnace)
With a pre soak 3 rinses & Extra Dry it takes 2-3 hours -the colder the incoming water the faster the dry.
MONGO MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We have the Splendide Ariston model vented dryer. It will dry a full load of washed clothes in 50 minutes with no problem. I've never had the opportunity to check the discharge air temp but it's something I'd be interested in knowing. Last winter in AZ it stopped drying and I had to replace the one shot thermostat. While I was at it I replaced both of the thermostats and the heating element as it comes in a kit from Westland Sales. As an aside, I can run the Splendide washer and dryer at the same time and have for four years and never have tripped a breaker. Some say it can't be done.

BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote