Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 08:04 AM   #1

Splendid Dryer

Splendid Clothes Dryer 2016 Winnebago with factory installed washer and dryer.
Just wanted to post this to warn others who have a splendid Dryer. The dryer stopped working no blown breakers or power related problems. To me it looks like a loose connection at the power cord or a faulty design. No help from Splendid they said it is out of warranty by four months. I repaired wiring but I am concerned about this design and for other folks who have this model dryer. This appears to be a fire hazard and Splendid should do something about it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	183686  
Diesel4580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW! That's SCARY! Please post the model number of the W/D so others can check it against theirs. Thanks!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Usually the "pigtail" wiring is added by the installer, so it may be Winnebago that needs to hear/see about this as much as Splendide.

In any case, have you notified both Winnie & Splendide (Westland Sales in the USA) about the problem? What do they say?

Contact Splendide Laundry Centers Sales or Service Departments in Clackamas, Oregon
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

WOW! That's SCARY! Please post the model number of the W/D so others can check it against theirs. Thanks!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
This is my dryer info.

Thanks for replying
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	183723  
Old 11-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Usually the "pigtail" wiring is added by the installer, so it may be Winnebago that needs to hear/see about this as much as Splendide.

In any case, have you notified both Winnie & Splendide (Westland Sales in the USA) about the problem? What do they say?

Contact Splendide Laundry Centers Sales or Service Departments in Clackamas, Oregon
Hi Gary,
Thank you for replying. I did contact Westland and sent them several photos similar to my original post. They said I was out of warranty by 4 months and would not cover the repair. Westland did offer to sell me a new power cord. I did not contact Winni though.

Mike
Old 11-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Diesel,

In reading Motorhome Magazine, they have an area where you can write in when having an issue you cannot resolve with a vendor or company. They often can get the issue resolved. So, if you do not get a satisfactory resolution to this issue, it may pay to write them for help.

The part is called "Contact Hot Line for Help". Hot Line assists in mediating conflicts between consumers and RV dealers and manufacturers, accessories suppliers and service providers. After exhausting all other resources, send a typed letter to MotorHome Hot Line, 2750 Park View Court, Suite 240, Oxnard, CA 93036. Enclose COPIES of appropriate bills and correspondence, pictures, plus a self-addressed, stamped envelope Selected letters will be edited and published unless otherwise requested.

Hope this helps. Things always seem to run out of warranty when something goes wrong. Good Luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Hi Diesel,

In reading Motorhome Magazine, they have an area where you can write in when having an issue you cannot resolve with a vendor or company. They often can get the issue resolved. So, if you do not get a satisfactory resolution to this issue, it may pay to write them for help.

The part is called "Contact Hot Line for Help". Hot Line assists in mediating conflicts between consumers and RV dealers and manufacturers, accessories suppliers and service providers. After exhausting all other resources, send a typed letter to MotorHome Hot Line, 2750 Park View Court, Suite 240, Oxnard, CA 93036. Enclose COPIES of appropriate bills and correspondence, pictures, plus a self-addressed, stamped envelope Selected letters will be edited and published unless otherwise requested.

Hope this helps. Things always seem to run out of warranty when something goes wrong. Good Luck, Lynne
Lynne,
Thank you for the great information! I have made the electrical repairs to my dryer which by the way I trust more than the original set up. My concern is that there could be a hazardous electrical defect. Perhaps I should send my information to motorehome magazine per your suggestion? At this point I am trying to caution other rvers.

Mike
Old 11-24-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Connection Problem

I would be concerned about this design also. This looks like a pressure slip connection and it has a mix of aluminum and copper which can create a bad connection if it starts to heat slightly with the different expansion of the two metals. As it heats it gets worse and the worse it can get is when the resistance of the connection is the same as the resistance of the heat element at which point the amount of heat at the connection is equal to the heat at the element. Aluminum is the cheap option and it appears to be on the dryer.
bcontrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #9

Wow well said!!! Thank you for your input! I could not agree more. In mho I think this is a very serious problem and as somewhat trusting owners we should not accept things like this!

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-24-2017, 04:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4580 View Post
Hi Gary,
Thank you for replying. I did contact Westland and sent them several photos similar to my original post. They said I was out of warranty by 4 months and would not cover the repair. Westland did offer to sell me a new power cord. I did not contact Winni though.

Mike
Weren't they at all interested in a problem with product that could have led to someone losing their life? Or at a minimum causing a catastrophic RV fire?!?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Diesel,

I would contact MotorHome Magazine and tell them about this with pictures of the issue, an explanation of the problem and lack of concern, and see if they would be willing to put a article in r/e the lack of safety with this appliance and lack of concern from the manufacturer.

I would point out the possibility of a death for unknowing users, purchasers, and an RV fire. They may agree with you and contact this company and ask if they are going to do something about it.

MotorHome Magazine can reach more people than you can and the manufacturer of this machine and connection does NOT want a negative article in a magazine about one of their products. It might save someone else's life which is what I believe you are trying to do.

I sometimes think we, as a group, need to start e-mailing, calling these companies and tell them we are aware of their poor quality product and are passing it around. One or a hundred unhappy customers is normal, thousands are a bit of a concern.

Good luck, Lynne
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #12

Nope all they wanted to do was sell me a new power cord.

Mike
Old 11-25-2017, 04:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcontrer View Post
I would be concerned about this design also. This looks like a pressure slip connection and it has a mix of aluminum and copper which can create a bad connection if it starts to heat slightly with the different expansion of the two metals. As it heats it gets worse and the worse it can get is when the resistance of the connection is the same as the resistance of the heat element at which point the amount of heat at the connection is equal to the heat at the element. Aluminum is the cheap option and it appears to be on the dryer.
How I repaired my dryer is as follows. I purchased an 8' power cord from Home Depot 14 Awg copper wire rated for 13 amps. I used a strain relief fitting with two washers. I then carefully put wirenuts on the correct connections. The dryer is working fine for now! The connections are now copper to copper. Hopefully my repair will last.

Mike
Old 11-25-2017, 05:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamisl View Post
Diesel,

I would contact MotorHome Magazine and tell them about this with pictures of the issue, an explanation of the problem and lack of concern, and see if they would be willing to put a article in r/e the lack of safety with this appliance and lack of concern from the manufacturer.

I would point out the possibility of a death for unknowing users, purchasers, and an RV fire. They may agree with you and contact this company and ask if they are going to do something about it.

MotorHome Magazine can reach more people than you can and the manufacturer of this machine and connection does NOT want a negative article in a magazine about one of their products. It might save someone else's life which is what I believe you are trying to do.

I sometimes think we, as a group, need to start e-mailing, calling these companies and tell them we are aware of their poor quality product and are passing it around. One or a hundred unhappy customers is normal, thousands are a bit of a concern.

Good luck, Lynne
Lynne,
You are correct! What I was thinking was doing a load of laundry at night falling asleep and not knowing. My other concern was leaving my puppy in the RV alone with the dryer on which by the way will never happen! We will be doing our laundry during the day only when we are around our campsite. My frustration with Splendide is their lack of concern. At this point I would not want Splendide to repair the machine with the same type of power cord.

Oh well thank you for listening.

Mike