Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Splendide Outside Vent

My original Splendid W/D came out of my 2001 Winnebago and it was transferred over to my 2003. The W/D has been working fine ever since day one. Wife complains about wrinkles but hey I don't care if my socks and underwear have a couple of wrinkles.

I noticed that the outside vent that was installed on my coach was beginning to severely degrade from the sun. The plastic vanes were cracked and extremely pitted and degraded. I elected to change the vent.

I went to a local RV supply company and bought a new one. It came in a kit which included a 24" dryer hose. That was a riot - the hose went in the garbage almost immediately.

Well since I was going to change the vent I decided that I better pull the W/D and perhaps change the hose. We pulled the W/D out and sat it on top of a compound bucket. So having removed the hose I got my wet dry vac and all my wand extensions and I vacuumed out the vent hose. After 6 years the hose was heavily loaded with lint.

The vacuum made short work of the stuff in the hose and I was ready to remount the hose. The vent hose actually screws into a collar on the back of the W/D. Man that was inconvenient restoring the hose. I had to get it close and then duct tape the thing so it wouldn't fall off.

The drain hose just fits into a elevated drain pipe that rotated forward and even getting the drain hose in the drain pipe was a hastle.

I removed the old vent from the body and matched it up to the new one and it was slightly smaller. I opened a Pandora's box when I removed the old vent because there wasn't any way that the new one was just going to go back up there. The old caulking needed to be trimmed for the new collar on the vent, I had to drill in new holes, some of the holes were too big so I had to first put in wooden sticks in the holes to take up the space. (I used trimmed Popsicle sticks) Then I had to go out and buy stainless screws - none provided with new cover.

Well after spending the best part of 3 hours on this project we finally got the vent mounted tightly and then we caulked the cover on. Now I have to put the W/D back, connect the hoses and power it up. Next I had to restore the cabinet doors and straighten the hinges. Picking up the tools and putting everything away ..... was too much like work!

So that completed that project!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:25 PM   #2

Sounds like I was lucky. The HD vent I bought fit exactly, screw holes in different places though. The old holes are under the butyl tape that fits around the new vent dress cover. The Splendide OEM vent cover is a piece of junk, only lasted 2 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Mike, I hope after all that work, the vent cover you installed was the metal hood type with a single flap. This is the only one that will last. May times when I install one, I will leave the cover off until dryer is slide back enough to reach inside the vent hole in wall and pull the hose out. I then attach the vent cover assembly to the hose and secure it to the outside wall. It makes the job much easier.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
DriVer,
I feel your pain. I was fortunate that mine was under warranty when the drain decided to come out of the down-flow. A long story, but I was there every minute and even assisted the tech in installing it correctly. It is a rats nest back there to be sure.

You even told the story without one @#$!!
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
It makes the job much easier.
I would have certainly been open to that option but the guy that installed the vent kit back in 2003 must have used an entire tube of RTV because there isn't any way that the end of the tube toward the vent is going to be removed short of blasting. It would have been great if the guy could have just cut the hole just a little bit better and used a screw on clamp on the collar to the vent. i would have allowed a bit of expanding foam to fill in the small void around the pipe but not all the caulking that he used.

I'll have to trudge through this 2nd vent cover and see if it'll hold up for a couple of years. By the way what does the metal vent cover look like? The new vent cover appears to be translucent whereas the last one was completely opaque. I would also state that the plastics appear to be of a different composition.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I have seen chrome and stainless steel vent hoods. The hood is slopped from the top outward and down, with an opening in the bottom that sticks off the coach about 2 inches.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I have seen chrome and stainless steel vent hoods..
Those would hold up a whole lot better than plastic. Let me know if you know where you can source a chrome one.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Let me know if you know where you can source a chrome one.
Driver ..... You should be able to get this part from Winnebago. I have one on my 05 Itasca Horizon standard from the factory. Mine is not chrome colored but painted the same as the body color. Some chrome spray paint should fix that problem.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:13 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Also available from Camping World.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Also available from Camping World.
They never provided me with that option and only gave me the white vent louver replacement part. The parts were branded Splendid.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
What can I say?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Those would hold up a whole lot better than plastic. Let me know if you know where you can source a chrome one.
Here's one
Mandys Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #13

I need to remove my vent hose to vaccum out the lint and it looks like the easiest end would be at the back of the dryer. Does the hose actually have to be rotated to unscrew it from the collar on the back of the dryer or will the collar turn? The end of the hose at the outside vent looks like its held there with a screw type clamp or collar and unreachable without pulling out the W/D or removing the outside vent cover.

Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:18 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Usually a large hose clamp is used to hold the dryer vent hose onto the dryer outlet. Depending on how tight it is, it may rotate or not. I would think cleaning from the outside would be the easier; but I am not there to see your venting. Good luck and keep us posted.