Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Splendide Ventless Washer/Dryer Combo Leak!

We live in our RV.

Drove to our resort camping spot over Memorial Day weekend. Set up camp and had a great, long weekend. Decided to try a load of laundry on Sunday. Ran a small load and it didn't dry very well. Ran it for about 2 hours total. Steamed up the bath area pretty good. Took the damp load
and some more to the laundry facilities to finish it off and do some more.

Well, Saturday, June 2nd, late afternoon I noticed that there were small "mushrooms" growing at the edge of the carpet at the front corner of the washer/dryer closet. Pulled the corner of the carpet up and the OSB is soaking wet! Since the washer/dryer is in a closet, on a platform I can't see under the washer. The sink cabinet next to it contains the water heater, which also sit on a platform I cannot see under. I checked as well as I could for wet wood/leaking pipes in the area but none were found.

So.......

Off come the cabinet doors. Pull all the towels/wash rags/linens out of the cabinet above so I can get to the valves. Take a look in the access and all is dry. Check the hoses and everything is dry. Turn off the valves, unhook the supply hoses, get the drain hose out and wiggle the electric plug out. Start wiggling and inching the washer/dryer out of its zero-clearance spot. Finally got it out and onto the hallway floor. Got a hand truck and rolled it into the living room (thank goodness for the slide). Still no water. Out come the interior side panels and finally the platform.

HOLY CRAP!

The carpet runs under the cabinet and is still covered in plastic. There are black streaks running under the plactic on top of the blue carpet. Cut the plastic loose at one edge and peeled it back. The carpet is damp to the touch and molded on top. Cut one corner of the carpet and peel it back from the OSB. The padding underneath is SOAKED and dripping water. The OSB is dark brown and spongey to the touch. I cut the carpet all the way around the inside of the cabinet and pulled it out. The OSB is worthless. I can put my finger all the way through to the styrofoam insulation under it. Go figure, no drain hole anywhere.

Got a putty knife and a trash can and scraped all of it out that I could. Went partially under the sink area and hit semi-dry OSB. Got all the crap I could out and sat a fan blowing in the cabinet to dry things out. Had to dig out a small corner of OSB out in the corner by the sink. The carpet
is propped up and drying.

Waited until Sunday morning to move forward. Did some on-line searching and found a service manual to download, Read up on how it works. Dug some more soaked OSB out and reset the fan. Wife and I muscled the washer/dryer out the door and into the garage. Took the back and top off and started checking it out.

Can't see anything glaringly wrong. No signs of water standing or steaks. Base is dry. The main drive wheel and the back of the drum have small rubber shavings on them - looks like the belt might have rubbed some. Don't see any broken or loose hoses. Got a splitter and hooked the hoses up to I have cold water going to the hot and cold connections. Ran a cord over and plugged it in.

Set it for a war/cold cycle and 40 minutes dry time. No clothes or soap. Started it up. Water in. Innner drum turning and water sloshing. No signs of leaking anywhere. Drain hose it aimed out onto the driveway.

So I sit and watch it run for a while. It pukes out the wash water and refills for the rinse cycle. Still looking for issues. Wiggeling all the hoses and feeling for water. Grab onto a rubber hose running down the back side of the drum and the end is loose. Follow it back up to the distribution
box and it is the condensing line for the ventless drying system. Can't see where it belongs, but the molded-in grommet on the end is split and half hanging off. There is some chafing on the hose, but no holes or splits.

Realizing what is going to happen next, I put the end of the hose into an
empty trash can. It pukes out the rinse water and goes into dry mode. Blower fan comes on, elements heat up and the drum turns. A small stream of cold water comes out of the hose and into the trash can.

So the condensate line for the ventless system is hanging loose at the back of the washer/dryer. When we used the dryer it pumped out water onto the floor. I let it run through a 40 minute dry cycle and it puked out about 1 1/2 quarts of water. That means we pumped out over a gallon of water the other weekend. Finally found the hole it belongs in half way up the drum on the right side.

Contacted Spledide and that hose in no longer available - period. Their advice was to silicone it back in place.

I did some checing and measuring and a 1/4"NPT fitting might screw into it. Went to the hardware store and found a nylon elbow with 1/4" npt on one end and 3/8" barb fitting on the other. Fits the hose perfectly. Back home and tried to screw it in. The drum is stainless steel and the hole has a pressed steel grommet in it - can't get a bite. Used a die to re-cut the
threads on the nylon fiitng to a smaller size. Still won't go in.

Ended up cutting off the split grommet half on the hose. Used a razor blade to cut out 3 reinforcing ribs and make a groove on the solid side. Wiggled it onto the hole in the drum and siliconed around the connection.

Guess Splendide wins.

Ran it through a dry cycle and not a drop of water leaked out. Guess I got it fixed. Back and top on and screws in place. Slid it to the side and left it for now.

Now in the process of replacing the wood. I have some "Rot Doctor" CPES that dries and out the wood and stops any rotting. Going to get it in where I can't get to replace the wood. When the new floor goes down I am putting an lip around the area and coating it with fiberglass to create a
"pan" to catch any future leaks. Also a small drain pipe down to daylight, which will fall just behind the rear tires.

Added a piece steel bracing between the frame and the underside of the floor at the damaged area to help support it and keep the floor level when I am finished. Helps to have metal scraps and a welder.

Man, there is always something!

Mike

Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:09 AM   #2

Our 12-yr-old ventless Splendide started to leak last winter and, not being as mechanically inclined as you, I opted to replace it. All I can say is that the new 7100 series ventless models are far better than the ones that were originally installed in our MH's. Something to think about if your problem occurs again.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
So, I am on to the wood replacement.

I used "The Rot Doctor Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer" to treat the damaged wood. Mix it up, pour it on and let it dry. The only issue was the smell. Put it on Friday morning before I headed to work. Got home that night and is was still strong.

We slept, kind-of, on the fold-out couch in the living room with the door to the bath closed. Bedroom windows open, fan blowing out and t roof vents running. Saturday morning it was better, but took until early evening for it to dry and the smell cleared out.

Today (Sunday) I measured and cut new plywood for under the washer/dryer area. Glued and screwed it down and built up the sides so I can coat it with fiberglass to create my "pan" to catch any further leaks. A drain to just behind the rear tires, too. Seems like this should have been done when built, since washers tend to have water issues.

Hope to get it fiberglassed this week and get the cabinet back together. Want the washer/dryer back in before we head out this coming weekend.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Stopped on the way home last night (Monday) and got a guart of fiberglass resin for my "pan".

Got some fiberglass cloth we had (leftovers from body work) and cut it into strips to span/seal the corners of the pan. Got it laid in place and cyt 4 pieces for the corners.

Cut off a short piece of 1/2" plastic piping, driled a 5/8" hole, at a slight angle, in the bottom of my pan to daylight and pushed the pipe throuh. Now the pan will drain at the rear of the back tires.

Was getting ready to mix up the resin when I realized the smell woud be an issue again. Guess I will wait for morning.

So this morning we got up early. Carla showered as I went out to the garage and mixed up 1/2 of the quart (pt) of fiberglass resin. Came back in with it and she was done.

Used a foam brush and a putty knife to coat all the cloth in the corners and then cover all the wood. Got a good coat all over. Opened the window, sat the fan blowing out it. I showered and we are off to work.

When I put the cabinet insides back in I am going to add a piece of plywood at the back edge. It will be cut to clear the supply lines and the drain for the washer, rest against the outer wall and get screwed to the back of my pan. This should catch any "arrent" water from connecting it back up and/or connection leaks.

The pan looks pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberpan.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	22203  
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
So I went home last night and got the base and sides of the cabinet back in.

Added a "leg" in the middle of the base shelf. It is a bit warped from the leak and with my new pan underneath, it stops a hair short of the rear pan edge. The washer/dryer legs sit at the side edges, so support is not an issue. Screwed into place. I might drill a 1/2" hole in the middle of the base shelf - a place for water to run through in case of a leak.

Side panels required a little shaving to fit back in place. I put batt insulation on thew side walls for noise abaitment. The panels went over top and were nailed into place using an air-powered brad nail gun.

Measured and cut a "catcher" board. It will lay against the wall and connect to the back edge of the pan. Any drips or leaks form the hoses should land on this board and run into the pan. Planning ahead.

Fiberglassed the catcher board and quit for the night. Tomorrow I will install the catcher board and put the washer/dryer back in.

The panels back in. "Catcher" board.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Washpanels.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	22228   Click image for larger version

Name:	washcatch.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	22230  

Old 06-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #6

Got a 2100 down the basement that's good for parts. Only thing wrong with it was a bad control board. replaced it with a new 2100xc. need anything? I would throw it away but you know how you keep things It is a lot eaiser to get it in and out of the RV if you take the two concrete counter balances off the front before you move it. Only four bolts and then you can carry it out by yourself.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
The only thing I needed was the condensate hose, but I modified the broken one and siliconed it in place. Got it back in tonight.

Taking the concrete weights off would have helped. You live and learn.

Thanks for the offer.

The cabinet, with catcher board in place

Name:	image-403959484.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	22246

Done

Name:	image-2239064842.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	524.7 KB
ID:	22247
Old 06-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our vented Splinde sets in a plastic pan to catch any leaks. Sounds like the manufacturer cut corners not using the pan under the unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Miniature Schnauzer, one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Plastic pan would have been a cheap fix, not to mention saved a lot of work. The cabinet is just as wide as the washer/dryer. Not even enough room for a finger to get beside it. I don't think a pan would fit.

At least I know that from now on any leaks, including a busted pipe, will be able to drain out with minimal damage.

Tags
leak