Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Sputtering flame on water heater

New rig, first outing. In the silence of the first evening, the water heater was loud. Not just normal flame roar, but popping/sputtering. The neighboring camper was going to mention it if I hadn't gone out to check.

I found the adjustable air bleed on the gas jet was set
wide open, and the flame was trying to blow itself out. I partially blocked the vent slots with fingers and the flame smoothed out. Loosened the lockscrew, and found about 1/3 open to provide a smooth flame.

Since then, it still sputters once in awhile. And there's a hint of soot staining at the vent, suggesting I've now choked it down too much, giving a carburizing burn.

Q: Is it normal for the builder (FR/Coachmen) to send these out with a wide open setting?

Is there some other known anomaly with these water heaters?

Is it normal to use a setting that creates mildly visible soot outside the vent?

Too large a jet for the application?

Thanks for any enlightenment!
BatRastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #2

What brand is it?
Not sure....but my attwood will do that when I turn on the propane the first time. The gas hasn't filled the line yet. I usually open the door untill it stays lit. I think my air is open almost all the way.

Is your flame yellow. Then adjust the air to get blue.
And doubt your jet is too big.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #3

Air shutters are on Atwood Water Heaters......Suburban doesn't have one

Should have been set to 1/4 open from Atwood (Dometic) Factory as that is how they are initially set up
Flame should be BLUE with slight Roar sound.

Sooting is a sign of Fuel Rich Mixture

*Could be not enough air being pulled in my gas flow
*Could be result of misaligned burner tube.......orifice should direct gas flow down center of burner tube for proper air/fuel mixing. If gas is bouncing off sidewall then mixture will be incorrect for proper combustion
*Spider webs.........it's amazing how much a spider web can disrupt gas flow.
Have to clean out burner tube using a small bottle brush etc ---air pressure rarely will effectively remove spider webs

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #4

With the enlightenment received here, the dealer took an interest in the issue. Many thanks to you (all) for contributions.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatRastards View Post
With the enlightenment received here, the dealer took an interest in the issue. Many thanks to you (all) for contributions.

Outcome???
What did dealer do?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Please post a resolution. Spiders love the smell of the propane and will build webs in the burner. Check for spider webs after it has been setting for a bit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Outcome???
What did dealer do?
Don't know yet. Still there on another warranty item.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

After old-biscuit helped me fix my Atwood water heater, I removed the burner tube again, removed the exhaust baffle, ran a small rope with a rag tied on the end down the heating tube. I was surprised at the dirt that came out.
From now on I'll do as old-biscuit said and clean the complete burner assy 2X a year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater