Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

Stairs issue

Hi all, need your help again please.
I took our MH for a ride (few hours) as it has been sitting in storage last few months. I worked the engine and the generator.
The stairs were extending and retracting while driving at random and intermittently.
Recently I also have noticed when I close the door it takes a little while before the stairs retracts. I have to shut the door few times to retract.
Can you help please.
Itasca Meridian 36M. 2013.

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013. Jeep Wrangler X, 2009
Full Timer from Norfolk VA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
Hi all, need your help again please.
I took our MH for a ride (few hours) as it has been sitting in storage last few months. I worked the engine and the generator.
The stairs were extending and retracting while driving at random and intermittently.
Recently I also have noticed when I close the door it takes a little while before the stairs retracts. I have to shut the door few times to retract.
Can you help please.
Itasca Meridian 36M. 2013.

everyone will tell you it is the door switch. My personal feeling is the system is flawed and the logic module is at fault. I could be wrong but after 4 years of the steps doing their own thing - I fixed them with my own relay setup and manually operate the steps. The only way my step go out is if I push the switch. they do retract when I start the motor.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One place to start. Sounds like the stair relay contacts are sticking. Mine are located under the coach behind the stairs. It's inexpensive to replace it, check your manual for it's location. Best of luck.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
One place to start. Sounds like the stair relay contacts are sticking. Mine are located under the coach behind the stairs. It's inexpensive to replace it, check your manual for it's location. Best of luck.

Interesting, my stairs have been somewhat intermittent lately and I was going to adjust the magnets that have worked for years. A relay would make more sense. Have to check that out, thanks.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Thanks guys. Is there a controller involved. When I called a technician who will ne looking at it in few days, he mentioned it could be the controller.
When I hit the door hard to shut sometime it works.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

This is kind of dangerous also. Correct?

Old 12-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nxkharra View Post
This is kind of dangerous also. Correct?

Do you mean the steps going out when least expected. Could be. I drove 400 miles one time before the DW said OH $xit the steps are out again.

The controller is under the steps and in a fully potted enclosure that can only be replace. $280. Could be the mag contact but on mine I replaced it but no difference. I am in the alarm business and we use thousands of them every year. They normally last over 30 years in our business. They should be a wide gap 2" sealed contact. In reality, the switch is a low voltage, low current reed micro switch encased in a rodium gas filled glass case.

I like my modification.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #8

Ladagobago, could you please elaborate? what is mag contact? What are you replacing in your business? Controller??.....
"Could be the mag contact but on mine I replaced it but no difference. I am in the alarm business and we use thousands of them every year. They normally last over 30 years in our business. They should be a wide gap 2" sealed contact. In reality, the switch is a low voltage, low current reed micro switch encased in a rodium gas filled glass case."

What are recommending. Replacing the controller? I have extended warranty so no issues with cost. Just need to know if there is a simple thing I can do or should I contact technician to do this?

Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I say we use thousands, I mean we install that many on new installations. I must have over 45,000 mag contacts in operation and they last for well over 30 years. I already explained what they are and they last for well over 50K operations.

ON my MH the controller went bad. I opted not to replace it but to design my own control. In your case use the extended warranty. the factory module is several hundred dollars plus installation. Get a tech to find the problem
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 AM   #10

Thanks. Sorry for my ignorant. What is mag?

Itasca Meridian 36M, 2013 - Jeep Wrangler X 2009
Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #11

There is a little Reed switch in the door jamb and a small magnet in the door that when the door closes it is near the switch and the magnet causes the reeds in the switch to touch.

These are common as dirt for alarm systems and many other things but they have a weakness in design as the alignment and spacing can be critical and a weak magnet makes those more critical.

Look at the lower area of your door for a round spot and in the jamb for same in same area.

Get a magnet to test but stand to the side.

Place magnet on switch then bang on area and if step acts up intermittent switch.

Close door and bang on door and if steps act up alignment and or weak magnet.

Old hard drives are perfect source for very flat and very strong rare earth super magnet that you can epoxy to the door and make it much better.

Switches are common item at electronics supply or some well stocked hardware stores
Old 12-31-2015, 07:13 AM   #12

TQ60, thanks. It makes lots of sense. When I shut the door and nothing happens, i open and shut few more times and if I shut very hard the stairs extracts. While driving the system activates and deactivates and the stairs extends and extracts randomly.
I thought there should be an override so while the engine is on the stairs stay extracted at all time.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:17 AM   #13

Had a similar issue. Took it to the dealer and they "fixed it" twice. The stairs kept going out while driving. Finally they gave it to a mechanic who knew what he was doing and took the time to properly adjust the magnet and Hall effect switch on the door. Have not had a problem since.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #14

Ours has a plunger switch on hinged side and never seen another one...

A friends Southwind has the magnet and close look there is quite aa gap where the magnet is.

The hard drive super magnet does the trick.

First hold in place with tape to be sure it does not hit and is in the sweet spot.

It should close a bit early due to stronger field.

Then mix a drop of epoxy. And scratch the paint under where it goes and tape it in place with the epoxy under it and retest fit.