Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

Step problem

I have a 2002 Monaco Windsor and when I went to run the step out thee other day it only went out part way and acted like a control arm or something broke or came unhooked. It has been raining so much and I have not crawled under to check it out yet. The motor acts like it is still working but the step does not move out much and will not lock in place. Anyone else have this problem and what did it take to fix? Note this is a single step unit.
Charlie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Step

Yes gearbox mount bolts sheared off with 3 sheared off and one holding.
Have seen this in 2 cases
Old 05-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
It's an easy repair. With you year model coach, you'll need to dig a bit as some of the parts and part numbers have changed. FYI, I pulled into a diesel station one time that had a narrow lane between two curbs, when I went to exit the coach the auto step attempted to open and struck the curb, The curb was high enough that when I stepped out I didn't notice my steps did not come out. Got to my destination and noticed step was not all the way in and would not open properly. My assumption was when it tried to open the pivot arm broke. I believe this is by design to parent damage to motor or worse. The arm seemed to be a soft casted steel material, so I try to be a bit more mindful of where I get out on curbside.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #4

Got time to check it out and the linkage arm broke. Went to the factory parts store this morning and they were having trouble cross referencing the part numbers. Said that they would contact the supplier and call me back when they get an answer. I also checked with a friend who is QC manager at the assembly plant where they now build Monaco's and he is checking for me also. hope it does not take too long.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:39 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
You have listed a 2002 Monaco, we have a 2001 Winnebago, so I am making the assumption our power steps are Kwikee models. Here is the description on Amazon for the parts I ordered. It is listed for $56 right now. Hope this helps.

Kwikee 90953300 Rv linkage kit for kwikee electric steps 28, 29, 31, 39 series and 90951 motor.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:41 AM   #6

I see where they make an upgrade kit for this step. Is it worth it to order the upgrade kit with a new motor and everything? Thinking about pulling the step unit off and repainting it while I am working on it. Might even make it easier to put the control unit back on while the step assembly is off. Looks like only 4 bolts hold the step assembly in place.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:49 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I struggled with the same thoughts Charlie, in the end I replaced the broken piece and called it a day. Steps have worked fine every since.. I considered replacing my entire step with a new on as well but everything seemed solid and tight or as tight as a 15 year old step can be I suppose. If I have other issues down the road, I will probably replace the unit. Best I can tell, these things are well built, simplistic and only a few moving parts. Let me know if you decide to rejuvenate them, I'd be curious to now it it all goes back in without a hiccup.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #8

I had to change my gear box, and you have to change the controller. you also have to change the magnetic switch.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #9

I decided to replace the broken linkage arm with a complete new motor & gear system since I had trouble getting the gear assembly apart. One bolt just would not come out. I rounded the head off so I ground it off to get the cover plate off after I broke my easy out off in the head of the bolt. I got the cover off and put my vise grips and it broke off again si I decided time for a complete new system.
The steps were a little rusty so I thought heck only 4 more bolts and I can take the steps off and clean them up and repaint and make it easier to reinstall the new motor/gear assembly since all of the old bolts on the control box and ground screws snapped off and I had to drill new holes drilled. This turned into an all day project but I got it ready to put it back in and had to call a friend to help hold it in place to reinstall the 4 bolts. The 2 near the inside were easy but the 2 outside ones were a lot more of a challenge since I could not reach back there. Finally after a few choice words and a little barnyard know how I managed to get everything all bolted back in place and it all works. The new unit is much more quiet and I am glad I replace the motor and the gear assembly to the upgraded unit.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:52 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Congrats! I wish I would have had more issues so I could justify replacing the whole thing. I will say you may have proved my fears correct. Ther is always that one bolt.
Come to think of it that was also part of the issue with finding the correct arm due to the upgrade, sorry I forgot that piece of the equation.