Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #1

Stinky faucet water

We are experiencing a very disgusting problem with our bathroom sink water, both hot and cold. The shower and toilet water are fine. When we run water it really stinks!
We can run it full open for a few minutes and the smell goes away. How can I resolve this issue? This only happens with the bathroom sink only. Can’t make rhyme or reason.
Notoldyet51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:11 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notoldyet51 View Post
We are experiencing a very disgusting problem with our bathroom sink water, both hot and cold. The shower and toilet water are fine. When we run water it really stinks!
We can run it full open for a few minutes and the smell goes away. How can I resolve this issue? This only happens with the bathroom sink only. Can’t make rhyme or reason.
My guess is it not the water your smealing. I believe you have an "air admittance valve" stuck open under your sink. It's attached to your dainline pipe up high under the sink.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You need to sanitize your water lines. I forget the bleach/water ratio, but that will most likely take care of it.

https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #4

Check your air admittance valve first. They can be cleaned or you can replace with a better one.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have suggested but noticed you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree to test the air admittance valve first. You could do this easily by putting a bowl in the sink and run water in to that (don't let it go down the drain), if no smell then it's the AAV under the sink.

If it does still smell, then the only thing I can think of that both the hot and cold water have in common, at that sink and nowhere else, is the faucet itself - might be time to swap that out.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
You need to sanitize your water lines. I forget the bleach/water ratio, but that will most likely take care of it.

https://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE
OP stated that it only stinks in the bath sink.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
OP stated that it only stinks in the bath sink.
Yes, I know. I have the same situation crop up in mine occasionally. Only water from the faucet in the bathroom sink smells. I call it my canary in the coal mine. When that happens, it’s time to sanitize my system. Cures it every time.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #9

Wonder if it could be algae or mold build up on/in the faucet aerator?
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Watch this -

You are getting gray tank odors at that sink because of the faulty valve.

I suspect that bleaching the system cleans the gray tank to remove odors but doesn’t fix the real problem - faulty AAV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #11

Stinky faucet water

I had same issues. Went to Home Depot and got the Oatey (sp?) Quick vent valves ~$13.00. They are the 2”-1 1/2 size. Unscrew the top and then unscrew yours and screw it in. The 2” is if you have a new pipe. I did the kitchen as well just for grins. It solved our issues.
Edit for clarification: the 2” would be for a glue on style the 1 1/2” is the screw in part.

Tags
water