Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Suburban furnace erratic

We have a suburban furnace in our 2010 Itasca Suncrusier. It has been acting erratic, starting this past week while traveling back north from Florida. It ran for a few hours with no problem. Then we woke at night to find the coach cold and the furnace not working. I could not get it to light. The fan comes on but shut down after a few minutes. It would not work through the next night also. It was in the 20's that night, (good thing we had an electric space heater!)

We got home the other day and I started the furnace in the driveway. It ran for hours but when I went out to check it this morning it was shut down and it was cold in the coach. So...I re-started it this morning it has been running all day. I was on shore power all the time when this occurred. I don' know what would make it act like this. It's very frustrating.

We did have it in for a similar problem prior to heading south in February and it was a bad gas regulator on the main propane tank. It worked all the way down then after the repairs. Didn't need to use it till we were on our way back north.

I don' know what would make it act like this. It's very frustrating.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
What make and model furnace do you have?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I believe you may have bought a propane/butane blend of fuel in Fl. This can cause an erratic operation; working OK when temperature are above freezing and not when temps are below freezing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The furnace is a Suburban SHD-2542. I did not purchase any propane in Florida. I just went out and checked this morning. It is out again. It is 49 deg inside. It was running last night.

Maybe it's afraid of the dark!

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #5

Craig/Joan, How are you resetting it so that it starts again? Power off then on?

Have you or anybody disassembled the burner assembly and checked for any spider/insect debris? A simple spider egg or web will render these units wonky and in some cases inoperable. Many units I work on that have been down south have weird wasp nests about the size of a marble that have been made in the burner somewhere and it will cause erratic operation as you mention.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:07 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like the sail switch may be getting a little balky. Senses the blower operation when blower and switch are operating properly. but can create erratic start up if if it becomes dirty or sticky.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We have an appointment in a couple weeks to check it out. The problem is convincing them something is wrong. You know how it goes, the start it and let it run for an hour or so and determine it's ok.

This may be related but we don't feel that the air coming out of the vents is enough. The furnace is in the rear and you can barely feel air out of the front registers.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Here is a sheet telling you of the sequence of operation. Make sure your coach batteries are fully charged. I had a problem where my Atwood would work 95% of the time, but wouldn't run when rain or damp outside. Was the electode, instead of 1/8" gap it was 3/8" gap. Works fine now that I regapped it.

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf heter sequence.pdf (55.8 KB, 40 views)
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
Here is a sheet telling you of the sequence of operation. Make sure your coach batteries are fully charged. I had a problem where my Atwood would work 95% of the time, but wouldn't run when rain or damp outside. Was the electode, instead of 1/8" gap it was 3/8" gap. Works fine now that I regapped it.

http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Furnace_Trouble-2.pdf

Thanks. I will look that over. Lots of things that cause problems with these things.

When we had the issue on the way home, shutting it off and re-starting manually didn't work. Now it will here at home in the driveway...till sometime overnight, when it won't re-light on its own.

Craig and Joan
2010 Itasca Suncrusier
Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you feel there is an air flow issue, you are probably right. If so, this can cause it to shut down when colder temperatures at night cause it to need to run longer.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace