RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #1

Suburban furnace no light

Hello, I have a NT 30 furnace I can't get to light. I have the manual, and followed the lighting instructions. I turn the lever on the thermostat, and fan comes on. I removed the cover and see the window which should show flame, but doesn't. Question, the gas valve, is that the T handle valve next to the wiring? I've never used it for winter camping before, and we are dry camping. Any help I'd appreciate.
Chris

crockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't understand the question, "the gas valve, is that the T handle valve next to the wiring?" Usually there's no manual gas shut off in the furnace compartment. If you do have a shut off on the gas line, the handle should be parallel with the gas line, when turned 90 to the gas line it's off. Do you smell gas? Does the gas work for water heater and stove? If so, your gas should be on to the electric valve on the furnace. When the furnace fan comes on, after the sail switch sends a signal to the control board you should hear snapping as the electronic ignitor tries to light the gas. At that point you should smell gas.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #3

It looks like a shut off valve. The handle runs in line with the gas, so I guess it's on. I hear it click a couple of times, but will not light..
Old 11-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Is the clicking of the solenoid gas valve trying to turn on the gas or the sparking, snapping sound of the ignitor?

Bob & Donna
Old 11-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #5

Oh, stove and water heater work...so gas is working. I have no gas smell by furnace
Old 11-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #6

I think it's probably the gas valve, because it doesn't sound like my BBQ type ignitor. . It's really faint, and not fast.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #7

I have the manual, and I don't see " sail switch".. but I tried to light 5-6 times today, so just in case air was in line.. Blower blows hard. .
Old 11-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
The sail switch is inside the fan housing. It's a paddle that gets pushed by the moving air and closes a switch that signals the control board that the fan is indeed blowing and it's safe to turn on the gas and ignitor. You should be able to get eyes on the ignitor and see a sparking when it's trying. If you don't have gas, it could be a bad control board that isn't triggering the gas valve or the ignitor.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #9

Thanks. So, it does sound like it's trying to start, but doesn't. . It's not a fast clicking sound like my water heater or fridge ignitor. So to test the board, I gotta pull out the furnace? .
Old 11-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #10

Question, they did remove one furnace. Could that be an issue? I had the water heater replaced, and the shop said they'd have too rip out the counter top and cabinet. . I have nice oak cabinets and tile counters. . So, he recommended put in rear where rear furnace is..
Old 12-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #11

Sorry to barge into your problem, but I have it, too. I'm trying to understand - ok - like you, my blower comes on first, blowing cold. So the first, single "click" is the sail switch moving over to initiate the next phase. Next, I can hear several fast clicks, maybe 12-20 of them, and then it quits. After several seconds, I get the several fast clicks again (rather like when I try to light the gas burner on the stove). So these fast clicks, if I understand properly, are the igniter trying to light the gas. So in my case, my igniter is firing but there is no gas to ignite, maybe? And in your case, it sounds like maybe your igniter is not firing. Can anyone weigh in as to whether I seem to be understanding things correctly? (My furnace is in my 97 Dutch Star.)
sincemyyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

Gulf Streamers Club
Usually the snapping, or clicking is the spark created by the ignitor. If it's not lighting, either you have an issue with no gas flow, (valve) or perhaps the gap in the ignitor is not the correct size. You should be able to smell the gas and you can usually see the spark. Check in your owner's manual for gap measurement. Another thing to check is remove the gas jet and blow it out, making sure it's not sooted up. Don't poke anything in it, the jet can be damaged and won't work properly.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Thanks, Bob and Donna. We did smell gas a bit while we were standing outside by the exhaust vents listening to the clicks. So smelling gas means some is getting there, yes? I know the other gas apps work (water heater and stove). Sounds like it's time to pull the cover off and have a looky-see inside. Thanks, Sharon
sincemyyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #14

I think I got mine figured out. I wasn't doing the lighting process right. I've had the rv almost 10 years, and never used the furnace. I read the manual, and I gotta run the blower for 5 min, then turn the manual gas valve. . Next to ignitor, gonna try again in a week or so. I'll post results. Chris

Tags
furnace