Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Smile Suburban Furnace SF 35 Problems

I have pulled my furnace out and checked that the igniter is working , fan is running and I checked to see if the orifice was clear, it was, I think the problem is that it's not getting propane, When I took off the propane connection I could smell the propane but it isn't getting to the igniter,everything is very clean . any suggestions? It's in a 2003 Rexhall Aerbus
2seniors is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #2

DO other propane appliances work....Stove top burners, water heater???

Could be furnace gas valve solenoid bad....
*check that it is getting 12V DC at same time ignitor is sparking (gas valve only has power for 6-8 seconds during ignition cycle)
*gets 12V DC then check resistance on solenoid....should be 40-50 ohms

Could be lack of gas flow....if furnace hasn't been used in a while the ignition cycle may take several attempts before full propane flow is established (only 0.4 psi in system) 5-6 attempts common...then should light off w/o issue

Could be bad LP Reg....low system pressure
11"WC is 0.4 psi
9" WC is 0.32 psi
Can NOT visually tell that system is 0.08 psi low....have to measure using a manometer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seniors View Post
I have pulled my furnace out and checked that the igniter is working , fan is running and I checked to see if the orifice was clear, it was, I think the problem is that it's not getting propane, When I took off the propane connection I could smell the propane but it isn't getting to the igniter,everything is very clean . any suggestions? It's in a 2003 Rexhall Aerbus

Go here and download this manual. There is a troubleshooting guide that will walk you through steps to isolate the problem.
I used it on a friends furnace last week to find a faulty limit switch.
http://www.bdub.net/manuals/Suburban_Service_Manual.pdf
Old 03-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #4

Troubleshooting guides & service manuals are very helpful

OP posted some clues that narrow troubleshooting down to gas valve circuit

Fan runs....spark electrode fires (Sparks)
That means furnace has DC power.......Sail Switch/High Temp Limit switch are closed (only way for DC to get to circuit bd)

Issue is with gas valve
No DC from circuit bd...bad connection/contact or bad circuit bd
Is getting DC from circuit bd.....bad solenoid(s)

Everything else is working.....so gas valve is issue (provided propane is working for other appliances)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #5

Furnance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
DO other propane appliances work....Stove top burners, water heater???

Could be furnace gas valve solenoid bad....
*check that it is getting 12V DC at same time ignitor is sparking (gas valve only has power for 6-8 seconds during ignition cycle)
*gets 12V DC then check resistance on solenoid....should be 40-50 ohms

Could be lack of gas flow....if furnace hasn't been used in a while the ignition cycle may take several attempts before full propane flow is established (only 0.4 psi in system) 5-6 attempts common...then should light off w/o issue

Could be bad LP Reg....low system pressure
11"WC is 0.4 psi
9" WC is 0.32 psi
Can NOT visually tell that system is 0.08 psi low....have to measure using a manometer

I did get 12V and I heard a click, was that the valve opening? All I did was clean the connections
2seniors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2seniors View Post
I did get 12V and I heard a click, was that the valve opening? All I did was clean the connections

YES....
Solenoids 'click' 'clunk' make noise when getting energized

Dirty/loose connections will STOP 12V DC

Tags
ace, ems, furnace, problem, problems, suburban