Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #1

Suburban Hot Water Heater - How long to heat up initially and how to adjust flame?

Have a Suburban 10 Gallon SW10 DEM - Manufactured January 2001 (just found out today by giving the serial number to their support).

Using the propane burner, how long should it take to get to 130 degrees (and then the pilot to go off) from when it has not been used for days? Does 45 minutes sound too long?

I'm not sure if my blue flame needs to be 'tighter' but the problem is, I don't know how to adjust the flame on this model. The videos I've seen has you sliding a piece at the beginning of the burner where the air is mixed in and the manual for my model is no help.

Video of burner/flame (Video hosted on Streamable):
https://streamable.com/547gl

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Suburban Hot Water Heater - How long to heat up initially and how to adjust flame?

45 minutes does not seem unreasonable to me, depending on the starting temp of the water. I installed a new SW10 a couple of years ago in the summer. My only check was after 30 minutes I had pretty warm water, so I knew things were working. I don't know how long it took to cut off.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #3

Perhaps this utube video will be more informative:
The rule-of-thumb is, if the flame has a loud roar it is getting too much air into the gas mixture, if it has a yellow-sooty color not enough air.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:03 PM   #4

@Ray,IN

Yes, that is one of the videos.. I don't have that adjustment on the burner.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
@Ray,IN

Yes, that is one of the videos.. I don't have that adjustment on the burner.

According to your owners manual
there are several causes for the flame to be out of adjustment. I would begin with removing the gas burner, cleaning the orifice, and having the gas pressure re-calibrated to 11" water column per the owners manual.
As to time required, yes 45 minutes sounds right, depending on incoming water temperature and usage during that period.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
Have a Suburban 10 Gallon SW10 DEM - Manufactured January 2001 (just found out today by giving the serial number to their support).

Using the propane burner, how long should it take to get to 130 degrees (and then the pilot to go off) from when it has not been used for days? Does 45 minutes sound too long?

I'm not sure if my blue flame needs to be 'tighter' but the problem is, I don't know how to adjust the flame on this model. The videos I've seen has you sliding a piece at the beginning of the burner where the air is mixed in and the manual for my model is no help.

Video of burner/flame (Video hosted on Streamable):
https://streamable.com/547gl

You could also turn on the electric element to speed it up.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #7

The flame appears lazy to me but that could just be the video. Follow the instructions in the manual to ensure everything is clean. After almost 17 years of operation chances are that there are spider webs and possibly some mud dauber nests to deal with inside the unit.

The owners manual pretty clearly spells out what to check so download it (if you do not have a copy already) and follow the instructions.

Air gap is fixed on those so its basically clean the orifice (lets hope a previous owner did not enlarge the orifice by pushing a wire through it) and burner tube, blow out the heat exchanger/flue (there appears to be debris on the bottom of it so wear a dust mask and eye protection just in case), reinstall the burner tube paying attention to the alignment diagrams in the manual and adjust the pressure to the required 11" using a good manometer.

A SW10 DEM is Electric and Direct Spark Ignition with Motor Aid so unless someone cut the heater hoses coming from the engine the water should already be hot when you arrive at a campground so the burner should not run for more than a few minutes if it runs at all if you turn the water heater on immediately upon arrival.

If the flame is still lazy after cleaning and adjusting everything else you will probably need to replace the orifice. Lazy flame is too much gas and not enough air while too loud a flame is due to a lean condition.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

After almost 17 years of operation,,

I would also check the main tank regulator for proper pressure for the entire rig. Have had 2 main regulators fall off over time, some were adjustable, some were just replaced.

A worn regulator could cause gremlins in all the appliances.

Could stop in a propane shop to have it measured.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
After almost 17 years of operation,,

I would also check the main tank regulator for proper pressure for the entire rig. Have had 2 main regulators fall off over time, some were adjustable, some were just replaced.

A worn regulator could cause gremlins in all the appliances.

Could stop in a propane shop to have it measured.
We actually had the main tank replaced (had cracked mount, no one would repair) 2 months ago and replaced the two older Regulators with a Marshal MEGR-298H High Capacity.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post

A SW10 DEM is Electric and Direct Spark Ignition with Motor Aid so unless someone cut the heater hoses coming from the engine the water should already be hot when you arrive at a campground so the burner should not run for more than a few minutes if it runs at all if you turn the water heater on immediately upon arrival.
This Coach never had the heater hoses back to the engine. The Water Heater was replaced several years ago with this DEM model but the motor aid is not in use. I may want to look at adding the heater hoses in the future since the WH sits on the basement floor, probably would be a straight shot down and over to the engine.

I order a new anode and electric heating element. I'll clean out the burner and flue when I replace those.

I don't have that manometer to check the propane pressure by having the gas pressure re-calibrated to 11" water column per the owners manual.. Does someone have a link to one on amazon (or other)?

Old 11-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #11

Manomeater was less than I thought There is one used for cheep. Since this does not get used very much, I would stay away from cheep china electronic that would break while stored. Good old manual that is hard to break.

Got to replace my tank too, not looking forward to it.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #12

Thank you for posting that Amazon link for the manometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post

Got to replace my tank too, not looking forward to it.
trx, check out my tank / regulator replacement threads:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/asme...nk-354664.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/asme...rs-358965.html

Old 11-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #13

Wow, I thought I used a lot of propane, you use it like a boss. Used 2 30's and 2/3 rd's of the onboard tank for 2 weeks in Assateague.

Looking the replace the 11 gallon with this & $400 in welding.

You were right to ditch that old tank.

Look at the size of the weld on your old tank, way overkill, that crack may have been born the day that weld was laid on angle. Just to show its true colors years later. Too much heat.. Notice how the crack follows the weld, and when the weld stopped,, the crack changed direction.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

I don't know really about welding.. I do see the new tanks have some changes and though at first it looks like a minor change, perhaps they did have issues in the distant past with those mounts.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater