Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
RKK

Suburban Water Heater Leak

2000 Triple E Commander with original Suburban water heater (with motor aid). Bought the MH last month and went out last weekend for a trial run. Second time we fired up the water heater we noticed water inside the MH on the floor. Checked all hose connections - no leaks. Noticed drops of water coming from the bottom of the unit (not hoses or connections). Seemed to be a slow leak which stopped once heater was shut off. Drained the tank and noticed the sacrificial rod was like new, but the drain hole was rusted.

This is new to me so not sure what to check next. Afraid the tank has rusted to the point of no return and needs to be replaced.

Help ! http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

RK
RKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKK View Post
2000 Triple E Commander with original Suburban water heater (with motor aid). Bought the MH last month and went out last weekend for a trial run. Second time we fired up the water heater we noticed water inside the MH on the floor. Checked all hose connections - no leaks. Noticed drops of water coming from the bottom of the unit (not hoses or connections). Seemed to be a slow leak which stopped once heater was shut off. Drained the tank and noticed the sacrificial rod was like new, but the drain hole was rusted.

This is new to me so not sure what to check next. Afraid the tank has rusted to the point of no return and needs to be replaced.

Help ! http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

RK
You may have lost air cushion in top of heater. To find out do this: Turn off water supply, open water taps in RV, open the pressure relief valve on the water heater and allow to drain. Then reverse the steps. This allows for the air cushion to re-establish. This should solve the problem.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
RKK

Thanks I will try that. How does the lack of air pocket create a leak in the system??
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
RKK

I forgot to mention that the leak seems to be on the inside of the MH not near the pressure relief valve or outside of the unit.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks I will try that. How does the lack of air pocket create a leak in the system??
There is by design an air space in the top of the water heater intended to absorb the expansion as the water heats. The longer the water heater is filled with water and in use, the more the air space disappears.

It would be nice if it always comes out of the pressure relief valve, but a lot of the time it comes out elsewhere. Which I think is you problem.
Bubwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #6

Check the water lines behind the water heater.
If they aren't leaking, you've probably got a hole in the tank.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
RKK

The first thing I did was to check all the lines and connections... no leaks. The leak is from the bottom of the tank shroud / housing / metal box. Logic tells me that as this is a closed system, the fact that there is no water coming from the pressure relief valve, must mean there is a hole somewhere in the tank.

Has anyone else been through this ?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #8

Quote:

Help ! https://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif

RK
RKK, I have the same symptoms and HW tank (4 ys old), was it the tank or a leak from the line connection?
dvalcO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalcO7 View Post
RKK, I have the same symptoms and HW tank (4 ys old), was it the tank or a leak from the line connection?
'dvalc07'-----WELCOME !

This thread is over 8 yrs old

Best to start your own thread and post brand/model of water heater (and RV) along with issues with the water heater.

More details....
Many times the fittings on cold in/hot out lines are just hand tightened and will drip

Relief valves can weep
Drain plugs can leak

If leak is INSIDE the RV then fitting/line or pinhole in tank

Wrap Toilet paper around fittings/connections
Lay pieces of TP around bottom of tank area
Any dampness will point you to the leak
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:41 PM   #10

Thanks Old-Biscuit,
Valve connections seemed hand tight and only getting wet under tank with line pressure or pump on. Will try the TP test before ordering a new tank.
dvalcO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 09:54 PM   #11

Suburban doesn't sell tanks...have to buy whole new water heater
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, leak, water