Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2014, 03:36 PM   #1

Surge Guard

Hi All
Looking for input on surge guards. Camping World has a sale on same, my question is how worth is it to have one. I have not seen a lot of them in service. On the other hand reading about power surges and the like they seem like cheap insurance. The 50 amp [needed] is on sale for 349.99 that's 100.00 off. The ad says Full protection with surge, 3850 joules protection, 6500 amps spike protection. Surges and spikes I get but what are joules? The ones on sale are the plug in kind. Thanks Steve
slamberte5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Steve, you should look into the Progressive Industries EMS systems. The warranty is much better (lifetime I believe), and the customer service is fantastic! I have installed the HW50C on every RV we've had!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:09 PM   #3

Second Progressive Industies!!!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Community Administrator

X3 and here it's $296
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...otection/56420

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

Surge Protector with Voltage Protection, Hardwired 50-amp - Progressive EMS-LCHW50 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

$249.99 plus $9.00 shipping. Online only. You won't find it in their stores.

Don't leave home without it.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #6

I have a hardwired surge guard and it had performed well. I did have an issue with the first about 8 months in and I called the warranty line faxed them a copy of the receipt and mailed the failed unit back. I had the new one in hand within 10 days, so I would say that I'm quite happy with the surge guard.
dsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Surge Protector with Voltage Protection, Hardwired 50-amp - Progressive EMS-LCHW50 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

$249.99 plus $9.00 shipping. Online only. You won't find it in their stores.

Don't leave home without it.

The link I posted included the remote display which is a $50 option.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Progressive EMS-LCHW50 Surge Guard for $ 249.99 from Camping World does not have the remote Display
Old 07-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesely View Post
The Progressive EMS-LCHW50 Surge Guard for $ 249.99 from Camping World does not have the remote Display
Don't need it. Main time when you need to read it is at initial hook-up when it's right there.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #10

Here is the 50 am PI EMS hard wired with remote display.

Progressive Industries 50 Amp RV Electrical Management System w Remote Display - Hardwire from tweetys.com
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
slamberte, get the Progressive Industries Elec Management System- EMS-- but understand what you are buying. So many call it a surge guard, but that's wrong- it's just a minor part. You can save a deal of money buying a much cheaper unit that is only a surge guard, but you'll be wasting the money you do spend.

An electrical power surge, or a spike, is about the Least likely electrical malfunction you'll encounter. It's maybe slightly more probable than actually getting struck by lightening. What a good EMS also guards against is low voltage , high voltage, lost ground, lost neutral, and a few other things I've forgotten. All these things can do serious long term damage to your coach, often without showing any symptoms, and all are far more likely to occur in a campground or RV park environment.

Buy the Progressive EMS. Hundreds, thousands of Rvers use them confidently. Their product is without peer, their warranty is lifetime, their customer service is incomparable. I recommend them without hesitation!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #12

Ditto on Progressive Industries. Surge Protectors are like life insurance policies. When you buy one, your betting on dying and collecting. When you buy a surge protector, your betting your going to get hit. You have to make your own decision.

We bought a PI protector about ten years ago for our fiver and transferred in to our A. It saved our bacon in the A one time during storm. It gave its life to save our equipment. PI replaced it no questions asked.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mandatory Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamberte5 View Post
Hi All
Looking for input on surge guards. Camping World has a sale on same, my question is how worth is it to have one. I have not seen a lot of them in service. On the other hand reading about power surges and the like they seem like cheap insurance. The 50 amp [needed] is on sale for 349.99 that's 100.00 off. The ad says Full protection with surge, 3850 joules protection, 6500 amps spike protection. Surges and spikes I get but what are joules? The ones on sale are the plug in kind. Thanks Steve
There is a ton of information on this site about surge protectors. You can probably search on the exact models you are considering and get hours of reading material!

I think surge protectors and a good digital voltmeter should be mandatory equipment to travel with.

You don't need all the bells and whistles. I bought the plug in type and then modified the house end of my shore cord so that it is plugged in through the plug in style surge protector inside my coach. That way if it fails, I can just bypass it and go without until I get a new one. I know it doesn't protect me against power dips...a risk I am willing to take. I ALWAYS check the outlet to the post with my digital voltmeter before I plug in.

Like you said, cheap insurance. You might not see a lot of them in service because 1) some people just don't care and 2) those who have them are either hard wired into the coach or they have had their plug it style STOLEN. Believe me...it happens! A lot! That is why I went the route I described. I can post some pics if you're are interested.

Your call...but I would jump on the sale.

Jeff
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
JRMEDPHYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We hard wired ours in, you can't see it as it is inside. It has saved us quite a few times not from a surge of electric but from low voltage. Low voltage is just as bad as too much. Low volts usually happen when it's hot out and more and more people put on all the ACs. Everyone is drawing more power and volts start to drop. Some drop is fine but going too low and there can be major problems.

At one park around where we were staying monthly had started to have problems with their power dropping. We let them know that the volts were going low several times in a week. The parks response? "It's a problem with your coach not the park" We left. Someone moved over to that spot the same day even thou we had told those around us about the problems and within 2 days he lost an AC and a few other things from the low voltage problems. And yes the park still insisted that there is no problems with the electric. We did find out that they are now getting in trouble for changing too many sites from just 30 amp to 50 amp. They are not rated for it and it's causing problems.