Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Surge Guard 34560 Trips at night

Ok here is a strange one. I have a Surge Guard model 34560, its the hardwired 50 amp model. Been working fine for over a year. 3 nights ago the thing starts tripping when my front air conditioner comes on. Next night it started tripping when either one comes on. I replaced my breaker at the pedestal, cleaned all contacts. Then measured voltage. I got 121 volts inside the pedestal, 121 volts in the receptacle, 121 volts on both sides of the surge guard and finally 121 volts at all the outlets in the motor home.

I checked the surge guard site and got their troubleshooting paperwork. My voltage is within their range of 102 to 132 volts.

Here is the real kicker. This only happens at night after the sun goes down! Very strange. I am in Florida and I run both my AC's all day with no issues. Anyone every have this happen? Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Maybe as electrical demand goes down (cooler at night, people sleeping), the voltage is actually going high! Does your unit log the problems? The Progressive Industries unit will log what condition tripped it ....so you can see later.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
So.....have you measured the voltage at night when it is shutting down?

That would be my next step if I was troubleshooting this problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #4

Turn the key to OFF and see if it still occurs. If it doesn't you know it is the electronics inside causing the problem.

Then I would remeasure all the connections at the surge protector and those prior to it again while under load. When it cools down, wire diameters shrink, perhaps causing a questionable connection. I have seen high power connections that had formed a carbon layer due to arcing and on which voltage measurements without the usual load looked fine but would not pass current (amps).

If you had arcing you will have to clean up the connecting wire (new end) and terminal block. Only measure with the power on. Disconnect power checking anything else.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post

Turn the key to OFF and see if it still occurs. If it doesn't you know it is the electronics inside causing the problem.
What "key" are you talking about that needs to be turned off?

When I Google "Surge Guard Model 34560" there is no mention of any "key".

Curious minds would like to know.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #6

My build in 50 amp hardwired Surge guard has a key mounted on it that when turned, bypasses the Surge guard.

Just went to look at the labeling. Normally set to auto. What I meant by off is set it to bypass.

It disables the electronics inside and engages the contactor immediately. No delay anymore or line status monitoring when set to bypass.

Ok I just looked up the unit and apparently since I bought mine the key disappeared somewhere along the line. So ignore the key statement unless there's another way to set the unit to " Bypass"?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:45 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
What "key" are you talking about that needs to be turned off?

When I Google "Surge Guard Model 34560" there is no mention of any "key".

Curious minds would like to know.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
The original SurgeGuard hard wired units had a switch bypass operated with a key as Harry B said. I understand they are no longer making them with the bypass feature. If you do a search on e-Bay, you'll see both styles. Mine does not have the bypass.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote