Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Surge Guard repair

When I plugged into the 50 amp post my portable Surge Guard 50 amp connected then shut off. I tried again and it would not allow power to the mh. I then got the 30 amp adapter and no blinking light. Was like no power at receptical. I went to the office and they showed up with the meters. The 50amp read 115 on one and 118 on the other post. The 30 amp metered 118. We are leaving this cg in the am and will try the next stop. I am looking for a place to get it repaired. It is at least two years old and I did a search and all I found was where to buy it. I was hoping to find a number for support to get it repaired if possible.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The number for TRC (Technology Research Corp.) is 800-780-4324.

Technology Research Corporation
4525 140th Ave. North, Suite 900, Clearwater, FL 33762
Phone: 727.535.0572 or Toll Free: 800.780.4324
Fax: 727.530.7375

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Please let us know what type of service you get as I am looking to purchase a similar unit. Thanks in advance..
Old 09-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Last year when I wanted a replacement plug for 30 AMP portable, I was told by the facotry that they do not do repairs as it was not "cost effective." The factory wanted me to buy a new one at $279.00!!

It was "cost effective " for me to repair it myself, for about $20.00. Funny, I was willing to pay them around $100.00 for the repair.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
I have a Progressive 50 amp EMS. I had an issue and they sent me a new circuit board. I had problems installing, so I sent the whole unit back to Progressive, the returned it complete. Only out the cost of my shipping the unit to them. I'd vote Progressive!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I have a Progressive 50 amp EMS. I had an issue and they sent me a new circuit board. I had problems installing, so I sent the whole unit back to Progressive, the returned it complete. Only out the cost of my shipping the unit to them. I'd vote Progressive!
Glad to hear that. I just installed the hardwired Progressive W/monitor in my rig. I picked this one as it seemed to have the best reviews of all on iRV2.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had mine go bad on a trip to Florida. I took it to TRC and they told me they don't repair them do to liability. This was contrary to what a friend of mine experienced two years prior. They did give me a deep discount on a new unit.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
When I plugged into the 50 amp post my portable Surge Guard 50 amp connected then shut off. I tried again and it would not allow power to the mh. I then got the 30 amp adapter and no blinking light. Was like no power at receptical. I went to the office and they showed up with the meters. The 50amp read 115 on one and 118 on the other post. The 30 amp metered 118. We are leaving this cg in the am and will try the next stop. I am looking for a place to get it repaired. It is at least two years old and I did a search and all I found was where to buy it. I was hoping to find a number for support to get it repaired if possible.

What do you want done (repaired)? Not to be to snarky but would you call Singer to replace a broken needle in a sewing machine? A 3 volt difference is well w/i tolerance and specs.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
What do you want done (repaired)? Not to be to snarky but would you call Singer to replace a broken needle in a sewing machine? A 3 volt difference is well w/i tolerance and specs.

Yes I am going to attempt to have it repaired. I have tried it at two different campgrounds just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. I am hoping I can get it repaired, not very exicited about buying a new one every two years or less. One would think that would not be the case. I do know that a 3 volt difference is ok. Had to have circuit boards replaced that's reason for this unit. The surge protector is still less than the circuit boards, BUT----

Equinox Toad
Old 09-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn

Yes I am going to attempt to have it repaired. I have tried it at two different campgrounds just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. I am hoping I can get it repaired, not very exicited about buying a new one every two years or less. One would think that would not be the case. I do know that a 3 volt difference is ok. Had to have circuit boards replaced that's reason for this unit. The surge protector is still less than the circuit boards, BUT----
Progressive Industries = lifetime warranty
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
As others have said "Progressive Industries EMS". Lifetime warranty and they are really great. Have the 50 amp portable model as well as my hardwired Surge Guard/inverter that came on the coach.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am home now and have made the call---- so far RUNAROUND!! I wish I would have researched!! I am assuming I will need to make a new purchase,if so a change will be made. I should know where I stand tomorrow so till then I will try to stay positive ?

Equinox Toad
Old 09-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #13

Mailed mine to Progressive when it went on the fritz after 5 years in service. They returned another unit at no charge. Works perfectly. They are great folks to deal with directly. Give them a call and describe the problem.

Drilldoc
Drilldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The number for TRC (Technology Research Corp.) is 800-780-4324.

Technology Research Corporation
4525 140th Ave. North, Suite 900, Clearwater, FL 33762
Phone: 727.535.0572 or Toll Free: 800.780.4324
Fax: 727.530.7375
I called TRC explained my problem and was told they do not repair them anymore. There is a one year warranty, I bought it two years ago so out of warranty! He said, he needed to check with the warranty dept, said it would be about 24hrs before he would have an answer. If no replacement then maybe could get a discount on another! Well I waited two days nobody called so I called them. I called around 1pm no answer,so left message asking them to call. Still waiting. I am thinking the answer will not be favorable. I now wish I would have done better research.

Equinox Toad

Tags
repair