Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble
I do appreciate all the comments. Unfortunately, no one was able to answer my original questions. My brother is a licensed electrician and he has helped me with a lot of different electrical testers that I use. I wanted a simple surge protector for those rare occasions when there might be a surge. I seems that most folks wanted to justify what they are using. All well and good but not helpful. Sorry don't mean to sound grumpy - but the Broncos (AKA the Denver Donkeys) just lost and I'm bummed! Oh well, Manning goes into the record books anyway.
Dick - I built one of these
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2949279246.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	55244
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1524536054.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	55246
to test the power at the post. Before I even pull the line out I test the post. If that checks out then I plug in. If you had one of these you could test the post - and if I'm thinking about this correctly - then plug your SP into the post and the tester into the SP.

I realize folks were not answering you directly - and there is a way to test each leg of the 50 amp receptacle of the SP with your Fluke Voltmeter. I do not have it memorized (clock) so I'm not going to SWAG it. It would be the same for metering the post. Essentially your SP is just passing the post through for you to connect to.

First I'll close this out and grab the link to how to make a tester like the one I have. There other methods in the net too. Then I will look for the other readings if they are not in the instructions. I think they may be. I will edit the link in shortly.
Steve

Edit - Here's the link - 12 o'clock is ground. 6 is neutral. L1 and L2 are 120 at 3 and 9 o'clock as in the picture.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

You build this for a little over $50.

I do agree with the others as to what is best to have - but you are right - it is $350 and your money. I owe ya a PM. about travel plans.

I hope your B gets things sorted and a little expense.
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post

Here are the questions - has anyone else had a problem with this model, and also, any ideas on how to test mine before I use it? I have a Fluke tester that I will use but I've never used this tester for this before.
Dick Noble,

With regards to testing your SSP-50 BEFORE attempting to use it, Steve has outlined it thoroughly by using either a DVOM or the custom made tester.

Those testers can be assembled by yourself or purchased on the Internet. They are great for testing RV Park pedestals before plugging in the Progressive Industries unit. Spending a few minutes testing the pedestal BEFORE getting situated in a RV site is time well spent.

Depending on the Progressive Industries unit one owns, the EMS unit will also protect the RV AFTER the pedestal has been checked.

As suggested previously, your BIL should talk to Tom Fanelli, president and owner of Progressive Industries to determine what might have caused his power situation. Being a licensed Professional Electrician, between the two of them, a resolution will be found.

A follow-up to the results would be helpful to others.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #17

I need to thank each and every one of you, these are all valuable inputs. Much thanks to flagship one. I like your idea better then using the Fluke tester. The Fluke is a bit clumsy. I have been using the Line Voltage Monitor inside the 5er but had not though about it monitoring only one side of the system. OK - on to Lowes!

Looks like we will not be able to go south until sometime next week - just to much snow up here in the Colorado Rockies even though the 5er has been repaired and is ready to roll. I do not pull in snow. For those that don't know - I ripped the rear fender and fiberglass panel off it 28th of Dec. when I swung a bit to far out after fueling up. Did not even know I'd hit an aux. fuel pump until I saw the bikes on the rear dragging on the ground. Thank the good Lord for insurance. Anyway, that gives me time to build the tester. I'll then test my own hook-up here at home and then plug in the SP and see what it shows. We do have full hook-ups on the edge of our (large) patio which overlooks the Grand Mesa - drop off at the edge of the patio is 1,000 feet down to the valley - another reason I do not pull in the snow!
Dick Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking at the original post it looks like your brother was plugged in and working fine before he used the surge protector. That being the case, it looks like the surge protector did cause the problem.

Does every thing else, like the microwave still work?

Maybe your brother has an in line inverter in the entertainment circuit and the inverter has blown a fuse.

I am also an electrician and I have seen "surge protectors" fail and come close to starting a fire on TV and computer plug strips.

As mentioned in some posts, surges are probably more rare than sags and high voltage. The main problem in campgrounds during AC usage is brownouts.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #19

flagship1 (Steve), Your post references a fake 50A service. I understand WHAT it is, but what is the effect to an RV when connected to such a circuit? I plan to build a tester as you describe. Looks like it will be helpful when I install a 50A outlet in my garage as well as testing at campsites. Thanks.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired and Happy
flagship1 (Steve), Your post references a fake 50A service. I understand WHAT it is, but what is the effect to an RV when connected to such a circuit? I plan to build a tester as you describe. Looks like it will be helpful when I install a 50A outlet in my garage as well as testing at campsites. Thanks.
A concise explanation here http://www.myrv.us/electric/pg/testing.htm

Since I have only stayed in a Holiday in Express - and am not an electrician - I prefer not write from my memory or put things that can kill ya in my own words. I do like this guys words.

Steve
----------
This will help you too.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #21

flaggship1 - I have purchased everything listed for your tester except for the 120/300 volt circuit tester. Is it a special one? I can't seem to find one that small. This is a fun project! Also, have not heard from BIL yet.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
They are very common and available at Harbor Freight

Circuit Tester at Harbor Freight

GB Circuit Tester at Home Depot

GE Circuit Tester Amazon

Ideal Circuit Tester at Lowes
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley
Thanks John!
---------

Dick - I agree this is a great project and instructive in RV AC electric. There have been many threads reporting licensed electricians incorrectly setting up home power with costly results. Whether it is miscommunication or lack of knowledge - it isn't a given that even electricians much less RVers are on top of this. Take care!

On edit - Dick - I think you were looking for the light tester. I can't find where I got mine. Basically it is one of these
http://www.extech.com/instruments/pr...=31&prodid=123

With the probes cutoff. But I got mine with just wires on it. I thought Amazon - but may have been at local electrical supply. If I find receipt will post info. The one in the link goes to 300 and I'd look for the 250 but it's not likely this would be a problem.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
When I am building the testers for others who don't want to spend the time, I usually buy those testers locally at the Do-It Center.

However, I have purchased them from Amazon too.

Sperry Instruments ET6102 Voltage Tester, 80-250 VAC/DC - Amazon.com

I simply cut the leads off and crimp on a connector to attach to the duplex.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Richard. I didn't go far enough back in my Amazon history. Found the one I used and did cut the leads off.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BOKMFS

:-)
Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are some with a 15 amp plug built in

Onan plug in Volt meter - 2 pack on eBay

Volt, amp, power meter with plug

Camco RV Volt Meter Plug In eBay

No need for one that reads higher
Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #27

I forgot to mention this and it is germane to the discussion - fellow two sites from by BIL in the same RV park (Tonopah, AZ) has been using the same model surge protector as BIL. He has had no problems. Still have not heard from BIL as to any discussion with Progressive Industries. BIL has replaced the two TV's. After all, one cannot go with out TV!
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #28

Update: There was a power surge elsewhere in the park just prior to BIL plugging in the SP. He has not called PI and will not until he talks to power company rep. to see if it is possible that the surge effected his 5er.