Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 10:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Surge protector burnout

Hi - a week or so ago we were running the heat pump and I smelled something burning - so I turned it off and used the furnace instead. Today we saw that our inverter indicated that the batteries were low - about 11%. Called service and the mechanic said our surge protector is completely fried. Surge Guard 30 amp TRC. Has anyone experienced this? Mechanic is coming tomorrow to do a diagnostic. No power tonight. I think this is gonna be expensive. Our RV was preowned, so we don't know if it was factory installed or not (2010 Newmar Baystar). We have a great extended warranty but don't think this will be included. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Loose connections usually cause burning of insulation on the conductors. It may very well be a Surge Guard that was installed by Newmar and the problem may not be as bad as you may fear. I would bet that once the Surge Guard is replaced, everything else will operate properly. Have the technician diagnose the problem(s) and contact Newmar for possible partial of full warranty coverage if he determines loose wiring connections are the culprit.
Replace the Surge Guard and any other repairs that will be needed. Good luck and keep us posted.
In the future check and retighten main service conductor connections annually.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #3

Yes, my surge guard went bad after a few years. Make sure you replace it with Progressive Industries EMSPT50C Surge Protector. Lifetime guarantee.

Robot Check
Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

YUP--stuff happens, especially at old campgrounds. Definitely check out PI--lifetime warranty and great service. Most other brands--one year....So you do the math.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:13 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a TRC 50 amp I got for basically free.. The outlet was fried.. I put a new outlet on it and it's working well.

I plan on some future mods but the old Round Tuit is missing still. Once I get A Round Tuit.. I'm going to modify it to "installed" status, which is where I want it.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all. Unfortunately the unit was installed after market. And yes, the technician hard wired and everything is working fine. He has to come back and install the new surge protector. I think he ordered the same brand ( I wish I knew) - the whole thing is costing us about $1200 (service call, diagnostic, part and installation - 3 visits.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 PM   #7

I think that you are paying almost $1000 to connect 3 wires in and 3 wires out.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:58 AM   #8

Call them and challenge the cost as that is gold pricing.

It is just a box with some wires that a teenager can do.

Confirm what was ordered and maybe cancel the order and buy yourself direct to save huge on parts.

Any licensed electrician can legally install it as well as you if you have basic tools and can read the instructions.

The quote is way out of line unless the part is 900 bucks.

Check with the others here reporting different brand with lifetime warranty but first call and STOP the current process so your bill stops growing.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:33 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
The part is $300 - not out of line. It's the labour - $120 per hour mobile service to the park. We are into it $800 because the guy came at night in the rain, no power. But yes we will stop the rest. (We are not handy at all by the way - everything is easy when you know what you are doing and have the tools to do it). Thanks.