Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Surge Protector "buzzing" noise

Over the last few months, our surge protector has made a loud buzzing noise (or loud vibration) three times. It happened twice during the night and was loud enough to wake me up. All I have to do is take my knuckle and wrap on the surge protector cover one time and it stops buzzing.
All connections are tight and all the lights on it are normal (no LED read-out on ours). The surge guard is not hot and seems normal except for the buzzing.
It is hard wired and here is the link to the one we have:
50A Hardwire Surge Guard - TRC 34560-004 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

Not sure if I should be concerned or replace it. Any advice?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Most of the surge protection devices use an AC relay to apply power to the socket once the delay is finished. The AC relays will almost always make a humming sound. I don't know about a humming sound that is loud enough to wake you up. That is louder than the normal operational hum of these units.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suggest the best place to start is with Surge Guard tech support.

If you hear this again it could be helpful to double check if it is the SG by turning off shore power and see if it kills the sound and if it returns after you reapply shore power. Give that a few minutes between off and on shore power. That might help see if this is something that is perhaps building up.

Also, do you have any devices in the coach that read out voltage at the outlets like this digital monitor? If so, then you should check the status on that device when you are hearing the loud noise and before you try what I suggested. It should give you a good idea on whether or not there is some other issue that won't trip the SG but maybe make it act/sound funny.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #4

Sky Boss,
Thanks for the link, I sent them an email. I do have a digital monitor (not as nice as that one) that should work. The buzzing/Vibration is definitely coming from the surge guard because I can feel it as well as stop it with a swift knock on the cover.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

I've recently started reading here to gather information for what I hope to be my first RV purchase soon but I had to register to post this: if this is just a run of the mill surge suppressor I would replace it ASAP. If the problem happens with another one then I'd investigate the cause but otherwise I'd consider the original one suspect and dangerous. I've seen a few of these fail when they start acting wonky like that and in at least one occasion I had one spontaneously catch fire and burn the carpet underneath it even when it wasn't on and didn't have anything plugged into it (it was plugged into the wall though). Anytime mine start humming more than they did when new its time to replace them!
Mitkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

Suspect low voltage or wonky relay.

The 60 cycle coil is simply a speaker coil so to speak.

Dc and ac rated relay coils are wound different to help reduce the natural hum but sometimes they still may hum.

Check your voltage with your monitor now then when bad and again after wacking it.

If voltage changes you have loose connection.

May not be a bad idea to do some maintenance troubleshooting and verify all connections from cord to panel are good and tight.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
My 50 amp Surge Guard, hard wired, started making a constant loud buzz when about 2 years old... Was replaced by TRC, (DIY exchange) No problems with the replacement in about 10 years.. They mentioned not to mount the unit flat on it's back..
If your power source is reliable, you can bypass with the key and eliminate the noise. (and protection)
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

TQ60,
Is there a relay in the surge protector or are you speaking of the other relays near-by? If there is one in the Surge guard can you change it? The park we are in is really full and it has been hot. I'll watch the voltage.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #9

No clue as we do not have one.

Others should chime in.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #10

You probably could change it if it is definitely the relay and not some sympathetic resonance in an adjacent panel. If you are confident with delving around inside you could probably track the noise down. If the contactor is an open type you could try pushing down in the moving contact carrier with something non-conductive and see if it stops. Can sometimes be caused by a bit of stuff getting between the armature faces and stopping the magnetic circuit from closing properly

Also quite likely the relay/contactor is a standard unit cheaply available from any electrical contractor supplies.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #11

I'm such a goof. Missed the important part of your post where you not only said it was a hard wired suppressor but identified the model. Ignore me, carry on.
Mitkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:51 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mitkraft welcome to irv2. Here is a Tech link for your use.

Pa Uon you said you have checked the wiring connections on SP, does the same buzz happen with the Gen running?
If you have a transfer switch may want to check the wiring connections in that box also.
If it still happens than call the company and if Surge is defective they would probably send a replacement.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #13

Haven't tried switching to the generator-it is so infrequent. Last time it stopped from when I heard it inside the coach to walking toward the bin outside.

I also opened the transfer box and inspected, tightened, and cleaned those contacts (just in case).

Looks like things left to do; switch to gen, check voltage, and wait to hear from tech at the Surge company.