Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 07:53 PM   #1

Surge Protector Issue

I have a trw surge protector that is doing something odd. With the surge protector plugged in, but the breaker off, the left red light is coming on. Not sure how this can happen with no power applied. I tried the device on several other pedestals and there were no lights with the power off, as expected. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rick
kb1flr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb1flr View Post
I have a trw surge protector that is doing something odd. With the surge protector plugged in, but the breaker off, the left red light is coming on. Not sure how this can happen with no power applied. I tried the device on several other pedestals and there were no lights with the power off, as expected. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Rick
Use a volt meter. sounds like a defective main breaker in the ped. Volt meter. Don't leave home without it. Never relay on lights.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:04 PM   #3

Quote:

Thanks!
Rick
What does the left red light indicate, according to your device?
With the breaker OFF, only the hot or power lines are shut down, the neutral and ground are still connected. Having a light glow on only that pedestal would make me suspect bad wiring, possibly feedback through the neutral or breaker not actually shutting off the power.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #4

One light on only is not a condition on the wiring diagnostic. All of the usual suspects such as open ground, etc are listed, but one light only is not among them. And, as I say, this happens with the breakers shut off. I have both 30 and 50 protectors and they both show the same symptoms in that pedestal only.
Old 10-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #5

Ok, put a voltmeter on it and through the 30 amp socket I get 123 volts with the breaker on and 1.4 volts with the breaker off. I am guessing the 1.4 volts is enough to light one led on the surge protector, but why are there volts read at all? I tested a couple of other pedestals and they bread essentially 0 with the breaker off.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
What does the left red light indicate, according to your device?
With the breaker OFF, only the hot or power lines are shut down, the neutral and ground are still connected. Having a light glow on only that pedestal would make me suspect bad wiring, possibly feedback through the neutral or breaker not actually shutting off the power.
This. Gotta figure out where the power is coming from.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 05:28 AM   #7

Yes. And it gets weirder. If I turn on the 50 amp breakers, the 30 amp side drops to 0 volts. Both sets of breakers off and they both show volts on the meter.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:54 AM   #8

Ok. Figured it out. There is 2 volts coming through the neutral. When I connect neutral to ground, I get voltage even with the breaker off.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 AM   #9

Have the park management call an electrician.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve52 View Post
Have the park management call an electrician.
Yep^^
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok, put a voltmeter on it and through the 30 amp socket I get 123 volts with the breaker on and 1.4 volts with the breaker off. I am guessing the 1.4 volts is enough to light one led on the surge protector, but why are there volts read at all? I tested a couple of other pedestals and they bread essentially 0 with the breaker off.
You just answer your own question!! ALWAYS use a volt meter, DO NOT rely of lights!
Old 10-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #12

Electrical Question

This is pursuant to another thread, but us more specific. I am measuring 2 volts from neutral to ground despite the circuit breaker being off. Is this an indication of a dangerous electrical condition?

Thanks!

Rick
Old 10-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #13

Quote:
This is pursuant to another thread, but us more specific. I am measuring 2 volts from neutral to ground despite the circuit breaker being off. Is this an indication of a dangerous electrical condition?

Thanks!

Rick
You were told what to do on your other post. Have an electrician look at the problem and DO NOT use it as is!

I don't know how to explain it any different .
Old 10-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can measure one or two volts difference between the negative post and the chassis, you should suspect corrosion on either the ground clamp or where the ground cable connects to the chassis.
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical