Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #1

Talking Switch for refrigerator fans.

I order a switch for a Norcold refrigerator to use on the fans I installed. I have not figured out a way to mount it to the fins since the top of the fins are about 3 feet from the roof so I can not reach them from the top or bottom. I did move the fans to the top and was able to mount them in the opening of the roof below the vent. I dropped the wire down and used a switch for now to control them. It was getting late so I do not have any photos except for the switch.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan switch.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	4962  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You will have to pull the refrigerator to be able to secure the thermostat to the condenser coil fin. At the same time, you may want to consider moving the fans to just above the absorber (hoizontal) coils. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure the thermostat switch needs to be right on the fins. Anywhere in the vicinity ought to give it plenty of heat to trigger it. And the purpose of the fan is to pull more air though the chimney, so it can be anywhere inside as well.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:43 PM   #4

As I recall, the instructions that came with my Valterra fan said to install the sensor within 8" or so of the burner. Mine is attached with a couple of small hose clamps.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
These particular thermostats need to be mounted to the condenser coil so as to bring on the fans based on the actual temperature of the condenser. Otherwise it could get too hot before or if it closes and power the fan(s). This could make for an in-efficient cooling unit or even one that does not cool well enough to keep food.
There are other temperature (lower) rated thermostats that can be used to do the job but how well would be iffy when maintaining proper condenser and evaporator temperature is the goal.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

It's been several years since I mounted one and it was a generic fan from Camco. T-stat was 110 degrees on and 90 degrees off, so it worked fine in just the hot air surrounding the cooling unit. That little sucker moved a lot of air too!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #7

NO biggie!

On my own Norcold fan mod, I use 3 PC type fans in a bank for cooling - originally, the center fan was always on anytime the refrigerator was powered on, the outer 2 fans were sensor controlled to only come on at 125 degrees or so, and the sensor was a clip-on type that I clipped to the upper-most coil.

I soon found that during late night and morning hours, even the single fan was not needed, since the refrigerator thermostat was set so that the refrigerator was not actually on - and the single fan was not necessary.

Luckily, I found a source on EBay for a sensor switch that closes at 105 degrees - and opens down around 90 degrees - perfect for what I had in mind!

(click on image for larger view)

Note the location I use down close to the refrigerator heating area - and also that the sensor screw-down ears are not secured. I wanted to test this install location for suitability - and used JB quik-weld epoxy to secure the switch as seen above - as it turns out, the location and switch work perfectly, and it will remain as pictured.

I place all my control switches in the ground side of the circuit - so a short is of no concern - worse that can happen, is that the fan will go active if any of that part of the circuit grounds out.

The JB Weld will secure just as easily to a curved location - all that is needed is to apply the epoxy, temporarily clamp, then wait until it sets up - and you're done - the JB quik weld sets up in about 5 minutes, and is heat conductive enough to transfer to the switch - and the epoxy will also easily withstand temperatures in this heat range with no problems.

In the case of the OP, all that remains is to locate an accessable area with a decent temperature swing that matches the sensor switch, and have at it!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #8

I was afraid that I would have to pull the unit to attach it. Will see how it works while on vacation. The two fans just about fill the opening under the vent cover and were wondering if it should be bigger? Will take some photos of the space over the refrigerator through the opening. Its look like I could have moved fake wall/cabinet over the top of the refrigerator back and made a larger cabinet.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue74 View Post
I was afraid that I would have to pull the unit to attach it. Will see how it works while on vacation. The two fans just about fill the opening under the vent cover and were wondering if it should be bigger? Will take some photos of the space over the refrigerator through the opening. Its look like I could have moved fake wall/cabinet over the top of the refrigerator back and made a larger cabinet.
Mine works quite well for all but the most severe ambient heat locations with a single 4 inch PC fan - I have 2 others in the same bank wired to switch on if the coil heat gets above 125 degrees:

the other 2 have only come on twice, and for 30-45 minutes both times. 2 similar fans operating steadily should do just fine...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #10

Honestly speaking, I don't have any idea on how to install fan on a refrigerator. But remember that any sort of electric fan inside the fridge would create some heat and might raise temperatures.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:13 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by candyjob34 View Post
Honestly speaking, I don't have any idea on how to install fan on a refrigerator. But remember that any sort of electric fan inside the fridge would create some heat and might raise temperatures.
Hello Candyjob34 and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy it here. Take care and keep us posted
The fans we are referring to in this thread are on the outside, in the back vented area.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #12

To download the installation instructions for your refrigerator, which includes chimney fan mounting instructions, go to Aero-Rv.com - Aerolite Ultra Lite RV Travel Trailer and Expandable Hybrid Campers , then select appliances, then your make/model refrigerator.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:54 PM   #13

Ray there in lies the problem mine is not offered with the fans. But I did download a copy of the install guide to have on my laptop; in fact I just might try to find all the appliances in my RV to make it easier to find the manuals.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To download the installation instructions for your refrigerator, which includes chimney fan mounting instructions, go to Aero-Rv.com - Aerolite Ultra Lite RV Travel Trailer and Expandable Hybrid Campers , then select appliances, then your make/model refrigerator.