Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Switch out microwave with convection

Hi, newbee here again! I have a 30" microwave in my RV. I have a GE 30" microwave/convection in my home. Can I switch these out and if so is there anything special that needs to be done like rewiring, fuses, etc? I love my GE and that was the only thing missing in this RV. A Convection Microwave!

Thanks
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Hi, newbee here again! I have a 30" microwave in my RV. I have a GE 30" microwave/convection in my home. Can I switch these out and if so is there anything special that needs to be done like rewiring, fuses, etc? I love my GE and that was the only thing missing in this RV. A Convection Microwave!

Thanks
I see no reason why not. What you might need is the proper wall mount to hang the MW from. You may use the one from your house if it came with one. Basically, most weight is hung from the wall, then the top front is hung from a cabinet above. It should be obvious once you remove the old one. No electrical or fuses is necessary.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Look carefully at the heat exhaust openings. Your RV microwave may have a louvre. You might have to build some for your convection oven if you install it in the compartment made for the microwave. Convection ovens get hotter.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Home Depot has the Sharp Convection Microwave commonly used in RV's and at a conservative price too. The mount is considered more appropriate to RV use compared to the GE and Whirlpools.

Another thing to consider is that the GE or Whirlpool Convection in the home is usually 1,700 watts or almost 15 amps which you may not have available with the AC, Fridge, lights, converter, etc also running and the 1,700 watt oven also requires a dedicated circuit breaker. Some of the GE Convection units are also 220 volts only and won't work in an RV anyway.

850 watt (7 amp) Sharp Convection Microwave - Currently $428.49:
Sharp 1.1 cu. ft. 850W Over the Range Convection Microwave Oven in Black-R1875T at The Home Depot
Old 02-22-2014, 11:09 AM   #5

Thank you for that info. I'm printing out the MW link and I will check it out. My GE vents thru the top. The man I'm buying the RV from said he replaced the MW so I will ask him where he got it. I was so hoping to just switch them but that may not be possible.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A standard home unit will work. Most of them have the option of venting through the top or out of the back. I just recently replaced my old GE Micro / convection for a new Samsung Micro / convection / broiler. Home depot had them on sale for $484.00. The swap took a couple of hours with no drama.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #7

Two things to be aware of; what it the voltage requirement for your home unit and does the home unit vent to the outside. It is one of the most desirable features of the RV convection oven is that when done it vents excess heat to the outside. It puts very little extra heat into the coach.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anyone read a post in its intirety? A 110 volt unit will work. Late model rvs use standard home micro wave 30 inch ovens. They are either vented through the top or the back. They come with all the brackets needed to mount on the wall. Most allow you to choose which direction to vent.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #9

Convection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
Does anyone read a post in its intirety? A 110 volt unit will work. Late model rvs use standard home micro wave 30 inch ovens. They are either vented through the top or the back. They come with all the brackets needed to mount on the wall. Most allow you to choose which direction to vent.
Hi Rick,

My home convection vents out the top. Would it be better to vent out the back to keep the heat down inside? And if it vents out the back, do I need to install a vent? Sorry if this sounds stupid!
Peggy
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Samsung I bought gave me 3 choices. Out the back, the top and out the front. I would not vent out the front. To stinky to do that. It's easy to pop a vent out the side of the RV, if you are handy with tools. If not, pay someone who is. Mine was already vented out the rear so installing a new unit was pretty easy.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #11

Remember to watch out for high wattage home microwaves especially if you have a 30 amp RV. A typical home microwave will use half the available power in a 30 amp RV. An 850 watt microwave convection oven is typically what goes in an RV to prevent overloading the circuits. Also pay attention to the back plate. The back plate on my 1,700 watt GE in my house is barely what I consider adequate for something stationary and totally inappropriate in anything that moves. The $428.49 Sharp at Home Depot has the heavier duty back plate and is an exact match to many that Winnibago put in their coaches.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #12

Thank you Neil, I will consider that Sharp model. I really want a convection and I found a place close to me that does work on motorhomes plus offers storage which is where my Coach will be going as I cannot park it at my home. I'm finally picking up my Itasca tomorrow. The snow really put a damper on things. The owner had to have a load of gravel delivered today to put on his driveway just to be able to drive the RV out!! So tomorrow is a big day for me and I'm saying my prayers to guide me and keep me safe traveling down the highway. It is 1 1/2 hrs away and being a NEWBEE my experience driving is slim to none. I've gotten a lot of advice and pointers thru this forum. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I will take my time and be cautious.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #13

Thank you Rick. I will look into that model also. So many decisions!
Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #14

Are the roads heavily salted now? Make sure you clean up the underside of the coach to get the salt off the bin frames and such before the warm weather comes.

Your Itasca should have come with the Sharp from the factory and should have a metal plate inside the wall behind the paneling sized for that models mounting plate.

The Brochure for the 2004 Sunrise does list the Sharp Convection Microwave as the OEM unit on page 7 and it is shown installed with a through the wall outside vent on the parts listing I looked at:
http://media.goitasca.com/models/glo...unrise-bro.pdf