Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Thanks For The HWT Knowledge!

We seldom used our propane to heat the hot water tank as most sites we frequent have electrical hook-ups. When we are showering one after another, we do turn on the propane to help the tank recover more quickly. The last time we did this we noticed a bad smell of unburned propane inside the RV so I quickly turned it off. Before I did that I checked the flame and found it to be very orange and the whole vent for the HWT was very hot.

It was here that I read to check the burner tube for debris and sure enough there was a very tiny spider web inside. I took it all apart and cleaned out the web. After reassembly I saw a nice blue flame and no where near as much heat at the vent. This could have caused a fire if left alone. Thanks and hopefully this will serve as a reminder to check your propane systems regularly to make sure they are working properly. Now I have to figure out if my propane detector is working because it didn't go off when we smelled the gas.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #2

LP Detector sensors have a 'shelf life' of 5-7 yrs

Usually there is an expire date stamped on backside

2008 RV....you are due for new one

Isn't it amazing how disruptive a spider web can be !
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ethyl mercaptan (rotten egg smell) in propane shows up before dangerous levels can be detected. There probably is nothing wrong with your propane detector, however they do have a replace date on them. Some have used a propane torch or lighter to test. This would determine if it works, but not how sensitive it is.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #4

I figured the propane detector needed to be replaced as well as the CO2 and smoke detectors. I just replaced all the CO2 detectors in my home so these are next.

I too was amazed at how much a tiny filmy web could impact the HWT propane system.

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led