Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
thermostat

does anyone know of a digital wall thermostat replacement for my ac and heat unit? the slide control i have know keeps gettin bumped by the kids every time i get the temp just right. it has the intellitec system with the shed lights on the bottom. thanks
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

If you put it in the same location there will be no need to replace. If it is working now except for the kids, I suggest a cover over the existing unit to prevent bumping.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #3

Maybe. Got a picture of what you have now? Some of us have replaced the stat with a $20 one from Walmart.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

The 20 dollar Hunter Douglas thermostat from places like Walmart is the perfect replacement. It is powered by two AA batteries so it will work fine on a RV. There are instructions all over the internet on how to wire it up including adding the SPST mini switch to allow for dual speed AC fan motor.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 PM   #5

Another nice thing about the Hunter is you can set the threshold so it cycles more or less. I believe it can be set for a 1-4° swing. I hated that too cold/too hot swing on the slider type stat.

The other day, I wire a 3 volt regulator in so I can run mine off of house batteries. No more dead or corroded batteries.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Another nice thing about the Hunter is you can set the threshold so it cycles more or less. I believe it can be set for a 1-4° swing. I hated that too cold/too hot swing on the slider type stat.

The other day, I wire a 3 volt regulator in so I can run mine off of house batteries. No more dead or corroded batteries.
hi dunner, thats my next project, to get rid of the bedroom thermo. i am going to get a hunter thermo, and i thought i would wire in one of those cigarette lighter 3 volt power supplies to run it. what did you use, billy
Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #7

Keep in mind that some motor homes' bedroom thermostats DO NOT control the furnace. Mine doesn't. Instead of rolling over to change the temp, I have to get out of bed to do so at the main stat.

With the Hunter, you do not use the red wire. I thought I could use the un-used red wire, but it was only 8 volts. There was 12 volts on the other control wires, but I didn't want to mess with them and take a chance it would screw something up.

I used the 12 volts for the CO detector and built a 3 volt regulator circuit with a LM317T adjustable regulator. If you can find a LM7803, you could build the simple circuit with it.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #8

yea my bedroom thremo is only cooling, but there is too much degrees difference between compressor on and off. it gets hot then when it does come on, then you get cold. i just want to wire in the 12 volts to a cig lighter plug to get the 3 volts to solder into the batt terminals
Old 10-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #9

The temp swing is why people replace them with digital ones. The one I put in my bedroom clicks something in the furnace, but it does nothing.

Explain where you get the 3 volts.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

take a cig lighter plug power supply for an old cell phone, cut the plug on the end that plugs into the old cell phone off, then wire it to each end of the 2 double a ends and solder the wires from the 12volts from the old 12 volt hookup to the cig lighter plug center post and the ground to one side spring clip. most cell phones run on 3 volts
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #11

Oh, a cigarette lighter cell phone charger. I think I have two of those around here some place for my old clam shell phone. Good idea.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #12

dunner, i,m sitting down here in myrtle beach and its 89 degrees, great weather. the ride down with the newly added diy trackbar was somooth as glass. getting ready to go out and look for a couple of those thermostats
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM   #13

I was just at HD in Phx, and they didn't have the Hunter brand. WM should for ~20.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
what if the slider unit has the lights for the intellitec system on it. mine controls the a/c (hi, low, and auto) and also controls the furnace. Also it has the lights that tell you if it is shedding any power from any appliances for the intellitec system. wonder who makes a digital unit that has all of that???
poorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat