RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thermostat?

I am thinking of changing and analog for a digital thermostat. The one that is in it currently is a coleman, I have noticed that the Coleman digital say they can only take the place of a coleman one. What is to replacing this? Are they plug and play or will have to cut and splice wires? Also do I have to look for a specific model or just look for a Coleman. I found one for $57, wondering if it will work.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

you tube is your friend.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

IS your Coleman thermostat like one this?

If yes.......
Then you can swap it out for a Hunter or Honeywell Digital T-stat
Info for swapping
https://www.loveyourrv.com/hunter-42...ostat-install/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
IS your Coleman thermostat like one this?

If yes.......
Then you can swap it out for a Hunter or Honeywell Digital T-stat
Info for swapping
https://www.loveyourrv.com/hunter-42...ostat-install/
I have 2 thermostats the one below is the main one and the second is for the rear ac only.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190508_155815305.jpeg
Views:	12
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	245265
Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundwaldo View Post
I am thinking of changing and analog for a digital thermostat. The one that is in it currently is a coleman, I have noticed that the Coleman digital say they can only take the place of a coleman one. What is to replacing this? Are they plug and play or will have to cut and splice wires? Also do I have to look for a specific model or just look for a Coleman. I found one for $57, wondering if it will work.
For my previous RV I contemplated that project. Being an electrical engineer (fully retired) I dug somewhat deep into what could be possible while keeping life simple. On one A/C was a heat pump while the other A/C had a strip heater. The two T'stat's, one in the main area and the other in the bedroom also included control of the furnace so when the heat pump and strip heater could not keep up on a chilly evening the furnace kicked in.

For an A/C with just cool, fan, off, auto, furnace selector functions the task could require to interface between the A/C and furnace functions with miniature relays (aka-a small package that could safely be placed within or on the wall behind the thermostat) that could interface between the new digital T'stat and both the furnace and A/C unit so that that the furnace and A/C think they are being controlled by the original thermostat. There are are also issues to be considered with control voltages, control currents and thermostat temperature sensor types between the furnace, A/C and the thermostat.

A call or site visit to the current Mgf of your T'stat could reveal possible solutions.

There could also be an entrepreneur on the web that sells such solutions for the RV owner. The solution would need to be specific to your thermostat specifications for proper operation and safety.

I have seen some YouTube videos of analog to digital thermostat solutions that could be of interest to you. If anything the videos are interesting to watch and could inspire a solution.

My new RV came with a digital thermostat touch panel integrated into a touch panel system along with every function inside/outside controlled from touch panels throughout the RV that communicate with a central controller. That stuff is beyond my pay grade. I am from an era prior to touch panel and fiber optic/multidrop serial communication networks within RV's and automobiles. Whole new set of tools, test equipment and training is required.I will just enjoy retirement .
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have some more questions. I have a Front and Rear AC thermostat. I have a 3-way(Up, down, and middle) switch under the bed. I was told by the dealership that it switches between the front and back A/C. They told me to this was so you could keep it colder in the back or front depending on where you are at. I was messing with it the other day, and found that the Rear unit worked no matter what position the switch is in. I talked to the dealership and they said that it may shut the microwave off. I tested this further and found that when in the Up position both units ran, when in the middle or the down position the front A/C does not work. I have a 30 amp service, with a 5500 watt Generator(which my dealership told me is overkill for 30 amp), why is this setup. The only thing I can think is since I have such a big generator it is when I am on the generator i can run both, but when I am on the shorpower i would turn the front unit and only be able to use the rear. But couldnt I just turn off the front at the thermostat and accomplish the same thing, or visa versa for running the front instead of the back. Since I have 2 thermostats.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone out there seen this setup?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #8

30a service with 2 air conditioners seems undersized. Seems like the switch is a safety device to lock out the front AC. Yes you could do it manually with the thermostat, but setting this switch would prevent problems.

Have you ever run both AC units off of 30a shore power?

Maybe the owners manual describes how to use this switch.
knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #9

I found a 2007 Hurricane brochure that says that the optional rear AC requires 50a service at https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...RVBrochure.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	246136
Old 05-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

30A.......
Shore power cord has 2 blades and one round pin
Main AC Breaker Panel....1 Main 30A circuit breaker

5500W gen can supply 45A
BUT RV Main AC Panel has 30A Main CB which would be very close to tripping if both A/Cs are running (15KBTU/13A-----13.5KBTU/12A)

SO not really sure what good that toggle switch is for.??????

Unless you have 50A
Shore power plug 3 blades/1 round pin
Main Panel would have TWO 50A CBs
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 30 amp plug. I guess if I hook into the 50 amp service with an adapter then both ac would be able to be ran. It is a new to me rig, I have only hooked it into a house outlet, and have never run either ac on it. I have only tested the acs when it is on the genie. I am taking it out for the first time this weekend, so I guess I will be doing some testing. I have booked 30 amp sites but it may have both hookups.

Will the adaptor or surge protector have issues being plugged into a 50 amp service and then running both acs. I am thinking it will probably pop a fuse if it draws the amperage of the 2 acs. I may just stick to one ac until I am back closer to home.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:33 AM   #12

You can use an adaptor to plug into 50 amps but your still only going to get 30 amp thru the main circuit breaker, inside the RV breaker panel.

A 30 amp RV can not gain any power from a 50 amp service.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #13

When you did your testing of the 3 position switch were you on shore power or the generator?

What is the rating on the main AC breaker and the two for the air conditioning units? Maybe take a picture and post it here.

The way I read the Hurricane brochure is that to get the 2nd air conditioner, the optional 5500w generator and the 50a panel had to be ordered. So there is some sort of mismatch here. Perhaps the second air conditioner wasnít from the factory?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	450.6 KB
ID:	246264
Old 05-17-2019, 05:20 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by knit View Post
When you did your testing of the 3 position switch were you on shore power or the generator?

What is the rating on the main AC breaker and the two for the air conditioning units? Maybe take a picture and post it here.

The way I read the Hurricane brochure is that to get the 2nd air conditioner, the optional 5500w generator and the 50a panel had to be ordered. So there is some sort of mismatch here. Perhaps the second air conditioner wasnít from the factory?Attachment 246264
I was on the genie, because the shore power was only a 15 amp, so I knew it would be to much load.

I am knew to this so I will have to look at the breaker to give you what you are looking for.

When I was talking to the dealership they to we're surprised when I said I had a 5500 watt genie with only 30 amp service. I also notice that the 3 way switch looks out of place and not straight so it looks like after the fact mod. I got a bunch of stuff from the dealer that the old owner provided so I will look through that and see if it tells me anything. There is an oil change sticker as well as badges for I think the previous dealer that may have serviced it, so I may even contact the old dealer and they may be able to tell me if I can not find it in the paperwork.

Tags
thermostat