Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Think my black water tank is leaking, could use some advice.

So, my wife and I recently purchased a 2007 Prowler travel trailer. It appears to be a well cared for 1 owner unit, but I believe it sat for a period of about 6 months before we purchased it. We have been camping in it with our kids at various places since we purchased it on 23 July. Today when I went outside I noticed a small wet spot under the trailer almost dead center. When looking under I could see it was basically just below the elbow of the main sewer drain. So preparing for the worst I crawled under and proceeded to remove as many of the screws holding the underbelly cover on as I could to try and see what was what. Heres dilemma 1, we are scheduled to leave tomorrow for our next destination so I can't remove to much of the under cover because I need to have it back on and also because I'm in a state campground and they dont like you really doing any work. So I pulled down both sides enough to see that it is actually fairly dry in there. There is a piece of flat stock that is in there that both pieces of the underbelly screw into to form an overlapping seam and it is where it is the most wet. Ive attached some pics below as I can't really see an obvious leak but I'm pretty sure its either the valve or the connecting hose that attaches it to the black tank it self. Any tips on where these are prone to leak at? as well as suggestions on actually accessing it? I don't want to cut the cover up really as we specifically were looking for something with heated tanks and a covered undercarriage as we live in Southern Oregon and it does get below freezing a few times a year here but, both pieces of the cover are about 15' long each and the seam is directly at the leak.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank side.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	136672   Click image for larger version

Name:	gray tank side.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	136673  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_132119.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	136674  

RClifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A lot of times it's in the large drain pipe coming from the tank. The tank can move in a different direction than the gate valve and it's anchor point. Some have remedied this with installing a flexible coupling in the pipe from the tank to the gate valve. For now, empty the tank before travel, keep a dish pan or bucket under the leak and empty it often.

Even if the tank itself is leaking, they can be patched and repaired. Just don't use silicon caulk or nothing else will stick. Find proper materials to patch or weld the plastic.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #3

Run
wsd890 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, leak, tank, water