Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #15

$2750 investment.
This got me: "One unit doesn't store enough kWh's to power your entire home. Instead, your Panel/Tower will be able to power just one circuit -- whichever circuit it's connected to when you begin to discharge it."
I'll pass
http://www.cnet.com/products/orison-panel/
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #16

There's a Fool born every day, and you know what they say about a Fool and his/her (politically correct) money, right?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #17
Community Moderator

This looks like a great idea for RV power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
$2750 investment.
This got me: "One unit doesn't store enough kWh's to power your entire home. Instead, your Panel/Tower will be able to power just one circuit -- whichever circuit it's connected to when you begin to discharge it."
I'll pass
http://www.cnet.com/products/orison-panel/

Think of this for your RV. powering one circuit for the residential fridge (2.2KWH) would be plenty for boondocking ....then it can be had for $1200 if you are one of the early adopters.

Lithium ion batteries easily have a 10+ year life....so that's only $100/year.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Think of this for your RV. powering one circuit for the residential fridge (2.2KWH) would be plenty for boondocking ....then it can be had for $1200 if you are one of the early adopters.

Lithium ion batteries easily have a 10+ year life....so that's only $100/year.

I don't boondock and don't have a res fridge.
Not a bad idea. Just not proven. Lithiums tend to burn. I'll let others be the testers.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I don't boondock and don't have a res fridge.
Not a bad idea. Just not proven. Lithiums tend to burn. I'll let others be the testers.

Do you have a laptop computer or cell phone? Then you have been using lithium batteries for years......😃
Old 02-12-2016, 08:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Do you have a laptop computer or cell phone? Then you have been using lithium batteries for years......😃

Yep. Proven packages. The hoverboard et al are too
Old 02-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
A couple of questions and points.... Lithium batteries are great in many applications, there are many different formulations of Lithium- manganese dioxide, Lithium-iron, Lithium-Carbon monofluoride, and on and on. No specifics given in this 'offering.' Some Lithium battery types are subject to fire in high discharge applications as in the hover board. A number of battery powered devices have detailed warnings about charging and discharging without time in between to allow the battery to 'rest' or assume room temperature. As a backup power source in an occasional black out, this device may work for a 10 year life. As a often used power source, I wonder how long the battery would last, being repeatedly discharged (+50%??) and recharged? Is the power this device produces a pure syne wave, 60 hz, 120 v source? All inverters have power loss, is that accounted for in it's specifications and capacities?

Battery technology is constantly being improved, but I'd want a lot more facts and certifications before I'd plunk down the +$2700 investment. That would about equal the price of a quiet Honda generator, isn't it?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
For it to "isolate the circuit it is connected to" you would need to R/R the breaker for that circuit with an smart one. Doable but hardly plug and play.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
For it to "isolate the circuit it is connected to" you would need to R/R the breaker for that circuit with an smart one. Doable but hardly plug and play.

Just thinking out loud here..... But maybe it could use technology similar to a GFCI in that it monitors current flow on the hot and neutral....the microsecond the current flow is unequal it shuts down. This might ?? prevent a utility worker from being shocked since he would have a separate ground path for the current to flow.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #24

Great.......

Not only do I have to worry about RV fridge catching on fire
Now I can have a battery pack that I have to worry about catching on fire

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:39 AM   #25

Why not just use your generator and battery bank?
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #26
Community Moderator

This looks like a great idea for RV power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
Why not just use your generator and battery bank?

This is a way to greatly increase battery capacity, by using the latest technology in battery chemistry and power density....if boondocking you would still need to run generator occasionally to recharge....this extra battery capacity would mean that you might only have to start the generator every other day, instead of twice a day.

You would need 4 six volt lead/acid batteries (at 50% discharge max) to equal
The power storage in this 40 lb lithium battery pack. The lithium pack can be safely discharged to below 20% repeatedly without having a major effect on longevity.

😃
Old 02-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #27

This exact same function has been here for years...UPS.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
This exact same function has been here for years...UPS.

That is only one of its functions. If you have a grid tie solar system, it can absorb excess solar produced power during the day, and release it at night. If your power utility has different rates at different times of the day, it can recharge when rates are lower, and then release the power back to the house when rates are more expensive.

Tags
power