Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Thrown breaker

Does this sound normal
We are doing over the camper and had 2 overhead lights on and I would imagine the LP detector was going.The power was from the house with a downgraded plug from 30 to 20 and an extension cord.When I went to use a power drill I through the breaker.
Could my fuses be to small, maybe go to a larger fuse or does this seem normal didn't seem like I was using a lot of power
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #2

How about the fridge and or the converter. Were they off ?

Was it a 20 amp breaker ?

Many are only 15 amps but you can't put a larger one in unless you upgrade the wire and outlet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's the gage and length of the extension cord? It could be too small/long, causing a large voltage drop.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM   #4

Something else was probably on maybe inverter, battery charger but you can put a bigger (fuse) without bigger wire.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
It's a 15 ft camper so it's really small but your right it probably would s I not 15 amps plus the extension cord was pro bobbly 16 gauge just stemmed odd that those items would trip the breaker
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Lots of problems with what you are doing: most likely, there were other loads running (such as refrigerator, battery charger, etc.). Plus, with the poor connections the power drill would not want to start right up and the extra load during startup is now long enough to trip the breaker. It would not be a good idea to change the size of the breaker to fix this problem.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote