Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #1

Tiny John INCINERATOR Toilet came today!!!!!

My Tiny John incinerating toilet came today!

Woo hoo!

I will document the complete breakdown and install with pictures videos as I go along.

So many folks have questions about how well these will work in RVs.

The most well known brands out there right now are Incolet & Cinderella. I can't remember how I stumbled across this company (EcoJohn) but I was very impressed.

I bought mine refurbished so I was able to get it at a significant discount as these incinerating toilets are not cheap. I also purchased a catalytic converter to help with odor control even though it already comes ready with a venting set-up.

1st pic is the box!

More to come!

Feel free to ask any questions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191026_160955.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	264852
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #2

WOW!
Hope it was a SIGNIFICANT Discount as in HUGE
$3,395 for toilet/box of 100 liners and the Cat Converter
12VDC PLUS Propane (1.5A/6700 btu)

Brochure states 3" vent required???

Where/what is it being installed in?
Cabin/tiny house/hunting rig

Different strokes for different folks is what makes it-----Different
Will be following updates......
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
WOW!
Hope it was a SIGNIFICANT Discount as in HUGE
$3,395 for toilet/box of 100 liners and the Cat Converter
12VDC PLUS Propane (1.5A/6700 btu)

Brochure states 3" vent required???

Where/what is it being installed in?
Cabin/tiny house/hunting rig

Different strokes for different folks is what makes it-----Different
Will be following updates......
I'm taking out my RV water toilet and putting this Tiny John in.

Yes! All the incinerator toilets cost alot. I think the Incinolet is the least expensive but the safety & efficiency ratings for it are not as great as the others. If I hadn't found the TinyJohn, I was going to go with Incinolet since Cinderella wasn't what I was looking for for the RV. Cinderella would be considered the Cadillac of the incinerating toilets and it is rated the highest for safety and efficiency.

Yes, I thought the discount made the price well worth it!

I'll show exactly where to put the vent etc. It isn't difficult. They suggest 3 different places that you can choose from to fit your needs.

I wanted to go with a composting toilet in the beginning but the regular "somewhat-gross" chores involved and the sanitary restrictions put a damper on that for me. I wanted something that didn't prohibit my choice of toilet paper and where I had to dispose of it. Most composting toilet users on youtube opted to throw their used tp in a trash can next to the toilet to take away later. I find that too yuck and disgusting.
With the incinerator it all goes down and all burns!

For a single person like me, I will only have to empty the completely sterile ash tray once a month at most, maybe every 2 months. I will need to look it up but I may be able to put the kitties' poo in there and burn it too when I clean their boxes daily.

So there are lots of positives that appealed to me besides saving alot of water that I'd much rather use for other things.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:51 AM   #4

will you always be on grid power when incinerating?

Edit:
Oops I see your model is propane. Makes more sense.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:54 PM   #5

I unboxed the Tiny John today.

Name:	20191027_155856.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	265008

Name:	20191027_160133.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	265009

Name:	20191027_160153.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	265010

Here are the power and "flushing" controls. There is a flush for liquids and a flush for solids. The difference is the liquid flush only takes 25 minutes whereas the solids flush takes 50 minutes to burn.

Name:	20191027_160059.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	265012

Name:	20191027_160106.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	265013

Name:	20191027_160113.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	265014

Here is the bowl that opens up and drops your tinkles and plops. The Tiny John came with a bunch of wax liners. I put one in to show what it looks like. You must use a liner every time. You can buy them or make your own.

Name:	20191027_160202.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	265011

Name:	20191027_160423.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	265016

Name:	20191027_160329.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	265015

Next is a piping attachment that came. I opted to buy my own exaust pipe instead of buying theirs.

Name:	20191027_160532.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	265017

This is a view from the right hand side. The opening is the water bag fill port. The Tiny John can be cleaned with water and regular toilet cleanser from this bag if you make a mess or during regular bathroom cleaning time. You simply press the button on the control panel to activate the spray, and then flush. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191027_160643.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	265018
Old 10-27-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Here are more pics of the water rinse port & bag. The bag is located inside the toilet under the hood. It is blue. It sqirts the water or rinse from the bag all the way to the front of the bowl as seen in the 4th pic.

Name:	20191027_161104.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	265022

Name:	20191027_161116.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	265021

Name:	20191027_160822.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	265020

Name:	20191027_161132.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	265025

Here is the rear of the Tiny John with the exhaust, LP, and electrical hookups.

Name:	20191027_160730.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	265026

Name:	20191027_160743.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	265027

Here is the ash compartment & removable tray.

Name:	20191027_162224.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	265028

Name:	20191027_162534.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	265029

Name:	20191027_162321.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	265030

I apologise about the lighting for these pictures. It was a nasty day here in MN.

I will keep the updates coming including a video of set up and testing!
Old 10-27-2019, 09:04 PM   #7

"Here are the power and "flushing" controls. There is a flush for liquids and a flush for solids. The difference is the liquid flush only takes 25 minutes whereas the solids flush takes 50 minutes to burn."

Question:
* During these flush cycles the ole Tiny John is 'out of service' .....can't be used until END of incineration ?

Not for the group gather......"Take a Ticket"

25 mins for PEE and 50 minutes for POOP........6700 btu burner
So if she PEES and 25 minutes later I POOP...incinerator will have been burning propane for 75 mins?
1 pound of propane is 21,500 btu-------3 pees/3 poops/1# of propane
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
"Here are the power and "flushing" controls. There is a flush for liquids and a flush for solids. The difference is the liquid flush only takes 25 minutes whereas the solids flush takes 50 minutes to burn."

Question:
* During these flush cycles the ole Tiny John is 'out of service' .....can't be used until END of incineration ?

Not for the group gather......"Take a Ticket"

25 mins for PEE and 50 minutes for POOP........6700 btu burner
So if she PEES and 25 minutes later I POOP...incinerator will have been burning propane for 75 mins?
1 pound of propane is 21,500 btu-------3 pees/3 poops/1# of propane
Biscuit,

You can use the Tiny John immediately after any flush up to 4 solid or 6 liquid flushes. Then you have to wait till the burning cycles catch up.

Here are the official specs from the owners manual:
Tiny John can handle up to a maximum of 40 flushes per day.
It uses a MAXIMUM of 6,700 BTUs per hour.
Every liquid flush uses 0.1 pounds of propane. Every solid flush uses 0.2 pounds of propane.

(So if you went 3 solids per day and 3 liquids per day on average SEPARATELY, you would use 0.9 pounds of propane per day or 6.3 pounds per week. If you COMBINED flushing the solids & liquids by using only the solid flush ((as the liquid flush would not be adequate to burn the solids)), you would use 0.6 pounds of propane per day or 4.2 pounds per week.)

The burning immediately stops when the lid is opened, making it safe to use it during any part of an existing cycle. The burning takes place separate below the bowl and is locked out unless in maintenance mode for safety.

So if you and or others need to use it continually, you can up to 4 solids or 6 liquids in a row as long as everyone still flushes when their turn is done. The Tiny John still has to queue up adequate burn time for all the waste. It does have sensors that will come on to let you know if you need to give another flush just in case.

So overall, unless you are hosting a huge gathering, there is nothing out of the ordinary for normal human needs.

If you have a larger family or if you regularly host large gatherings, EcoJohn sells bigger versions that handle alot more. Tiny John's capacity works well for singles & couples. Perhaps even 3 or 4 pple depending on the groups' metabolism. My guess is that full timers with more than 2 pple should really go with the bigger versions.

Does this help answer your questions? [emoji90][emoji13]
Old 10-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following out of curiosity-
Old 10-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Following out of curiosity-
Good! I cant wait to give it a trial run (with my cats' donations of course!). Ill do a video on that and link it here.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following. That for for posting. I’m Interested in the technology’s since it would allow for more boon-docking. We haven’t done much of that yet but want to.

I’d also like to understand your propane usage with it and why you rejected the composting toilet. I’ve heard a lot about the “pros” but much less “cons” of composting toilets.
cyclist922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclist922 View Post
Following. That for for posting. I’m Interested in the technology’s since it would allow for more boon-docking. We haven’t done much of that yet but want to.

I’d also like to understand your propane usage with it and why you rejected the composting toilet. I’ve heard a lot about the “pros” but much less “cons” of composting toilets.
Cyclist,

Im glad you decided to follow!

The propane use looks to be pretty efficient. Now it of course all depends on how much you use it.

I have no idea what the human average or normal per day for solids and liquids are. Im guessing since the manual mentioned 3 of each per day that might be a high end estimate? My metabolism is very slow and my needs are substantially alot less. So propane is extremely efficient as a 5 gal container of propane will last me a very long time.

Ive been going over the pros and cons of the composting toilet for a long time. Like you alluded to, the pros are very well known! The cons not so much I think because at least to me they are personalized.

The con reasons for me are broken down into 4 categories:

1. Female Sanitary Issues
2. Toilet Paper Preference
3. Yuck factor
4. Laziness (lol...sad but true)

1. Female/sanitary issues

I believe in being honest so I wont mince words and I will tell it like it is.

Some gals cannot keep liquids and solids separate when they go. Some guys can't either. For the composting toilet to keep the smell down, the liquids and solids need to be separate. Because I know I would continually struggle with this, I seriously knew the composting toilet would not work well for me.

2. Toilet Paper Preference

I have a certain brand of toilet paper that my body is used to and I love. Ive tried many other brands and I do not like them. I do not like toilet paper made for RVs or specialized/biodegradable toilet paper recommended for composting toilets. Incinerating toilets burn all toilet paper equally so you are free to choose whichever one makes your backside the happiest.

3. Yuck Factor

Related to toilet paper above is a yuck factor that many composters do: to reduce the amount of matter going into the composting bowl, they wipe and put the used t.p. in the trash and take it out later.
I would much rather burn my dirty toilet paper to sterile ash than throw it away right next to me. Yuck.

Another yuck factor is if/when solids mix with liquids too much that I talked about earlier. When that happens, it will have to be cleaned which I would not prefer to deal with.

4. Laziness

And finally, I admit I do not like the fact that I would have to regularly empty, dispose, refill, and repeat. The incinerator does have chores to do, yes. But weighed against the composting toilet's chores, the incinerator's are easier and less labor intensive.
The incinerator's regular chores are emptying the ash try and replacing the propane tank when needed.

So those are my personal reasons for voting down the composting toilet in favor of an incinerating toilet.

Did that help you at all?
Feel free to keep asking questions!
Old 10-31-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
Community Moderator

What type of RV do you have? How big are your fresh water and black tanks ? Just curious, If it’s just one person, won’t the regular black tank allow plenty of time between needing to dump? You still will use fresh water, and while boondocking I’m presuming you will still shower, so your tanks will still need to be filled/emptied....isn’t that the limitation on how long you can boondock? What additional time do you gain by not filling black tank ? Do you plan to tie the gray and black tanks together to extend your gray tank capacity ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 07:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
What type of RV do you have? How big are your fresh water and black tanks ? Just curious, If it’s just one person, won’t the regular black tank allow plenty of time between needing to dump? You still will use fresh water, and while boondocking I’m presuming you will still shower, so your tanks will still need to be filled/emptied....isn’t that the limitation on how long you can boondock? What additional time do you gain by not filling black tank ? Do you plan to tie the gray and black tanks together to extend your gray tank capacity ?
Hi pasdad!

37.5' Class A Pace Arrow
Not sure of exact sizes of all tanks yet. I will look it up.
I will use the fresh water tank for shower & sink water & bottled water for drinking.
Yes, I plan on using the black tank as a 2nd grey water tank.

I decided early on I prefer not to deal with the blackwater system at all.

1. It would be easier for me to fix an above coach problem than a below coach plumbing problem when faced with the two choices, especially during frigid winters which I will experience with my work. I am going into full time RVing because of my work and I will be static in multiple environments for months at a time, including below zero weather. The blacktank system is one less system for me as a single female to worry about.

2. As mentioned above, a large deciding factor for opting out of the blackwater system is the climates I will be in. I will undoubtedly be winterizing for frigid living so as far as potential problems happening, I can at least eliminate 1 area that I might have to upset the winterization setup of skirting, foam, heaters, etc.

I will not have to ever face the dreaded poopsickle. You probably noticed I have a pattern for trying to avoid the ick factors as much as I can!

3. One of the luxuries I really like is a nice hot shower!

Here was my reasoning for this:
So water in an RV especially when boondocking is scarce. When any resource is scarce, we economize by choosing where to place more value on the resource's use.

I value a slightly longer shower than I do a toilet that flushes with water a couple times a day. I value it a whole lot more!! Given there are viable alternatives to the water toilet, I decided to get rid of it.

All that being said, depending on how low my fresh water is getting, I will find myself at times going into uber water conservation mode with my showers until I can get more water and dump the gray. Not having to use a water toilet makes water conservation much easier.

4. Why not! Lol...Im all for trying out unusual things and there just isnt alot of info out there on incinerating toilets & rvs.

I do not plan on reselling my RV since it is an older model that is a fixer-upper. It isnt worth much and I got it basically for salvage price. So Im fixing it up and making many customizations. The plan is to keep it until it is time to junk and thus it gives me the best opportunity to experement with ideas like these.

Tags
toilet